It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yea for Transgender Equality!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm guessing you've never seen a high school wrestling match, are you maybe thinking of WWF Hulk Hogan style fake wrestling? Nobody gets beat up, or even hit in competitive wrestling. Way to beat gender stereotypes with your complete lack of sports knowledge

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Woodcarver

The only thing that is psychological is the anxiety/depression that goes along with having the dysphoria. The brain developed in one direction, the body developed in another direction. Gender dysphoria is not considered a mental illness by any of the major medical mental healthcare associations.
It is listed as a psychological disorder.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I agree.

But at the same time, live and let live.
The press is making this an issue.
Divisiveness at its finest.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

The only thing that is psychological is the anxiety/depression that goes along with having the dysphoria. The brain developed in one direction, the body developed in another direction. Gender dysphoria is not considered a mental illness by any of the major medical mental healthcare associations.

The knowledge that your body doesn't match your brain is not considered a psychological disorder. What IS considered a psychological disorder is the emotional duress of the mismatch.

A new condition called “gender dysphoria” was added to diagnose and treat those transgender individuals who felt distress at the mismatch between their identities and their bodies. The new diagnosis recognized that a mismatch between one’s birth gender and identity was not necessarily pathological, notes pediatric endocrinologist Norman Spack, a founder of the gender clinic at Boston Children’s Hospital. It shifted the emphasis in treatment from fixing a disorder to resolving distress over the mismatch.*

www.scientificamerican.com/article/where-transgender-is-no-longer-a-diagnosis/

Crap, my phone won't post the link. Not that it matters. Trying to educate transphobes is a waste of time.
edit on 26-2-2018 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: maus80
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm guessing you've never seen a high school wrestling match, are you maybe thinking of WWF Hulk Hogan style fake wrestling? Nobody gets beat up, or even hit in competitive wrestling. Way to beat gender stereotypes with your complete lack of sports knowledge

Thank you--I was completely unaware of the difference until you just pointed it out for me.

I do nothing physical, have never wrestled, never played other sports in school, and certainly don't train in Jujitsu or other martial arts.

Thank you for enlightening me with your supreme knowledge.

It was a figure of speech...you'll note that I said "basically beating up on girls."

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The knowledge that your body doesn't match your brain is not considered a psychological disorder. What IS considered a psychological disorder is the emotional duress of the mismatch.

A new condition called “gender dysphoria” was added to diagnose and treat those transgender individuals who felt distress at the mismatch between their identities and their bodies. The new diagnosis recognized that a mismatch between one’s birth gender and identity was not necessarily pathological, notes pediatric endocrinologist Norman Spack, a founder of the gender clinic at Boston Children’s Hospital. It shifted the emphasis in treatment from fixing a disorder to resolving distress over the mismatch.*

Crap, my phone won't post the link. Not that it matters. Trying to educate transphobes is a waste of time.
This is literally written by a guy who puts kids through hormone blocking therapy.

This is like me bringing out jeffrey dalmer to speak about the medical benefits of eating people.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Not agreeing with something doesn't make a person transphobic.

I don't think anyone has a fear of them.
Nor does everyone have to believe it's okay or normal.
Everyone is entitled to their respective opinion.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Okay buddy. Nevermind what the actual DSM manual says. I guess they're all in on it.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

i copied this from your article

Psychologist Laura Edwards-Leeper of Pacific University in Oregon notes Denmark will still require that psychological evaluation be conducted before any medical intervention. “I’m wondering if Denmark plans to make the diagnosis a medical one,” she says. “Perhaps they are approaching it similarly to what I recommend, which is to involve health care providers in offering support through the process and with readiness assessments, much like we do for patients seeking other life-changing, body-altering surgeries, such as bariatric surgery or organ transplants.”

Your article is Talking about changes made in Denmark. You can see here in the bolded part of the quote that they do not consider it a medical issue.
edit on 26-2-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
I have asked you repeatedly to correct anything that I have posted that is untrue or on factual. All the while I have pointed out where your statements are untrue and unfactual.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Yeah, gender dysphoria is like needing an organ transplant. Neither is a mental illness, but both may require mental health assistance.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Okay buddy. Nevermind what the actual DSM manual says. I guess they're all in on it.
I just showed you in America’s DSM, where they call it a psychological disorder.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

No major medical or mental healthcare organization considers gender dysphoria a mental illness. Fact. But some people need mental healthcare assistance to deal with the distress of having the dysphoria. Fact.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

No major medical or mental healthcare organization considers gender dysphoria a mental illness. Fact. But some people need mental healthcare assistance to deal with the distress of having the dysphoria. Fact.

This is straight from the DSM

dsm.psychiatryonline.org...

Gender Dysphoria

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
Published : May 22, 2013
Online Date : September 18, 2014
DOI : 10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm14

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I just showed you in America’s DSM, where they call it a psychological disorder.

They are talking about the DISTRESS that is sometimes associated.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

They are talking about the DISTRESS that is sometimes associated.
Right there. Listed in the DSM.

Can you please show me where I have mis stated the facts?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Dealing with the DISTRESS that is associated with the condition.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Yeah, gender dysphoria is like needing an organ transplant. Neither is a mental illness, but both may require mental health assistance.
They don’t send you to a psychiatrist when you need an organ transplant.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Dealing with the DISTRESS that is associated with the condition.
It is not a condition it is a mental disorder. Meaning that there are no physical qualities to the problem it is only in the mind of the believer

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join