It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans caught cheating again are forced to correct gerrymandered voting districts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Wait 'til you get to 40 thousand plus...

Now to the topic...

Gerrymandering of this sort is a tried, and very successful, tradition in American politics. Both parties, and if ever a third party joins the fray, they'll do it, as well.

Not right, but I certainly can't see it stopping any time soon.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sounds like an excuse to ignore that they cheated to me.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

As legendary Raider's owner Al Davis said "If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough".

Dems are honest (sarcasm off)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Indeed the bankrupt and backward philosophy of the GOP is apparent.

tThey have little reason to even be in politics now.

At least in the past they stood for something.

Conservative economics, yet under them the budget deficit always seems to be higher than ever.

Anti crime? Yet they preside over the love of guns policy that has murdered so many Americans, and they refuse to budge.

Anti foreign entanglements, yet they are the architects through Bush of the worst foreign policy disaster in the history of America, the war in Iraq.

Republicans have nothing to even be in politics for, except to cut taxes for the rich.

In that they have succeeded

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Oh the comedy. Just keeps coming! LOL

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Another day, another outrage. Par for the course.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You do know the Courts cannot establish a district remapping , right ?
They do it in crayon ? Did they stay inside the lines ?

Oh , now I see. The Huffington Post...
Yeah , that works
Not.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Ah, so you ignore the Supreme Court when they go against your party. All you seem to care about is the corruption of the Democratic party but don't give a rats ass about corruption in the Republican party. Sounds about right.

I seem to recall you s****** on the SC a good bit when Scalia was alive..

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Like I thought, a deflection to Obama and Democrats from something that happened 9 years ago. If the title of this thread had "Democrats" in it you never would have dug something up from 9 years ago to somehow justify it, you'd be calling for those Democrats' heads.

ETA: 15,000th post. What am I doing with my life?

RUSSIANS!!

I'll talk to Olga next time I see her. OK?

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The PA Senate is controlled by Dems. This was an obvious abuse of power in attempt to regain seats in Congress.

STATEM ENT: Tom Wolf’s Midnight Maps Show Democrat Party Collusion with Supreme Court Causing a Constitutional Crisis

“Governor Wolf’s midnight map is a ridiculously hypocritical and a partisan move to help Nancy Pelosi, the DNC and Pennsylvania Democrats steal Pennsylvania congressional seats.

“Ironically, the State Democratic proposed maps have more political subdivision splits than the proposal presented by the Republican legislative leaders. This fact alone exposes the purely political motivations guiding Pennsylvania Democrat officials.

The PA Court originally said the lines needed to be drawn according to county lines. The new map does not nearly do that. The new map was specifically drawn to add Dem seats.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
When isn't the reich-wing lying, cheating, stealing or otherwise behaving in a despicable manner.

K~

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The PA Constitution prohibits the Supreme Court from doing this. They violated the Constitution.

Pennsylvania's congressional lines are drawn by the state legislature, as a regular statute, subject to gubernatorial veto. The members of the state House committee responsible for redistricting are listed here; the members of the state Senate committee are listed here.
The Pennsylvania constitution vests original jurisdiction in the state Supreme Court for review of state legislative lines in state court. There is no similar provision for congressional lines. [Pa. Const. art. II, § 17(d), (g)]

The PA Supreme Court has no legal right to draw congressional boundaries.

Source

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

The PA Senate is controlled by Dems. This was an obvious abuse of power in attempt to regain seats in Congress.

Actually, the house chambers are controlled by Republicans. Scroll to where is says Historical Party Control.

ballotpedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Party control of Pennsylvania state government

The PA Supreme court leans left with 5 Democrats, and 2 Republicans.

lancasteronline.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Who are the members of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court?

The Governor is, as you may well know, a Democrat. Not a bad guy, but I think he's sneaky. And he has a hand shake like a dead fish. I almost accidentally broke his hand.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CoramDeo

Exactly. The Dems in the Supreme Court usurped the powers of the legislature. They had no right to redraw maps, or even to demand they be redrawn. Dem. Gov. Tom Wolf worked with the Dems in the Supreme Court to make this happen.

This is so typical. Dems abuse power all over the place to gain power. They used the IRS, FBI, DOJ, FISA courts, other courts, etc. There is nothing they won't do, legal or not, to gain seats.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

They blatantly cheated, got caught, a state court ordered them to change it; they procrastinated, so the court drew up a new fair map.

Pennsylvania Supreme Court Issues New Congressional Map To Replace Gerrymandered One

Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court on Monday issued a new congressional map to replace the state’s current one, which the court said is so partisan it violates the state’s Constitution.

The Supreme Court drew the map after Republican lawmakers and Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf (D) failed to come up with an agreement by the Feb. 15 deadline.

In an opinion earlier in February, the state Supreme Court wrote that Pennsylvania’s congressional districts need, at minimum, to be compact and contiguous, to contain roughly the same number of people, and to not split counties and other communities unnecessarily. A map was unconstitutional, the court said, when it prioritized partisan advantage over those criteria. In a Monday order, the court wrote that its new map splits just 13 counties. (The earlier plan, devised in 2011, split 28.) Nine of these counties are split among two congressional districts, while the other four counties are split among three. The court wrote that its plan “draws heavily” from proposals submitted by Republican lawmakers, Democrats, the plaintiffs and others, but said this map’s compactness is “superior or comparable.”

Republicans controlled the redistricting process in the state in 2011 and drew a map that gave their party a considerable advantage. In 2012, 2014 and 2016, they won 13 of the state’s 18 congressional seats, even though the party only won about 50 percent of the popular vote. GOP voter registration also lags behind Democrats significantly in the state. In a 5-2 decision last month, the state Supreme Court said the map “clearly, plainly and palpably” violated the state’s Constitution.
Democrats have been closely watching the redistricting battle, because it could offer a chance for the party to pick up a handful of seats in Congress. The Brennan Center for Justice estimated that the old map had accounted for an additional three to four GOP seats in Congress.
Preliminary analyses of the new map showed congressional races in the state being much more competitive for Democrats.

Their philosophy is so bankrupt the GOP has to cheat, lie and steal to stay in power.

Haha...yeah, "their" philosophy...

Here is one drawn by democrats in Chicago....I guess their philosophy is no better...

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

it has been going on for a long time . Both parties do it when in power . The last thing I read was it is going back to court . Just pass a law that uses county borders for districts . If you look hard enough behind the curtain,It is my opinion that there is no difference between parties like there used to be .

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

When I think about the impact of the state legislature in PA, there is is one rule of survival, and it applies no matter what party has power. As long as you don't smoke, drink, gamble, or drink soda, your life will remain unaffected.

So basically, if the Dems went ahead and split Phaladelphia into 17 districts, and left one district for the rest of the state, the only change you would see is more expensive coca-cola.

Of course I'm joking, but the reality of PA state politics is that nothing happens. For good or for ill, nothing. It's like we're frozen in time. I'm convinced that the apocalypse happened 10 years ago, but people who reside in PA have yet to hear the news.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CoramDeo

hmmm. I'm not so sure about that.
We do have legal medical marijuana now.
Who would have ever thought that would happen in PA? That was a change pretty much supported by everyone, but it shows that things change.

PA is unique in that there are areas that are very red and areas that are very blue. But more and more we are turning red, other than major cities, such as Philly and suburbs, as you mentioned. The Dems don't like that PA is turning red, and they changed the congressional districts specifically to attempt to regain control.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Give it up man. Hillary lost, I don't understand why you guys can't cope with that fact. What she and other Democrats did make this ok, that's why I'm bringing it up. Also, Obama.

Checkmate Democrats. /sarcasm

Also, I hope you do know that the Democratic party actually is corrupt and that this doesn't take away that fact.

I for one, am glad you are here to try to unite us all. That Parisian division sure sucks donkey balls.
Thanks for staying true to your empty words!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Another Dem apologist eh? Dems only make up 50% of their voting population, yet somehow won 13/18 seats? I don't think so. Dems are giving themselves too much of an advantage.

Oh well, hopefully Trump's impending executive action on voter fraud, voter ID, poll tax, etc won't hurt Dems too much
Wouldn't want them BUSSING IN all sorts of "Dem voters" for no reason...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join