It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Announcing The Revival of the Debate Forum

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Hello again ATS! Hello Fighters!

Given the late hour and the fact that I suspect that I have a touch of the flu, I will do my best to go against my verbose nature and try to keep this short and sweet… Yes. Me. Concise and not verbose.

I know. I know. You don’t buy it. Truth is I’m not even betting on it working out. Yet.

It is my distinct pleasure and honor to post this in order to announce that the Debate Forum is getting pulled out of the mothballs and will soon open, again, for business! Hopefully in the coming week(ish).

Behind the scenes staff are weighing some ideas for a new and improved judging process. The method we previously utilized was simply too invasive to the membership, as some of you may recall. So as we approach a reopening we’re keeping that very much in mind. We want the forum to be fun and not to feel like an obligation ( for Fighters and staff alike ).

In the next few days I’ll add to this thread with more information about the new approach.

Given the heightened tensions in just about every area and aspect of life, bringing this forum back to life just seems to make sense ( And some sincere thanks to Pinke for posting in this forum and sparking this entire endeavor ).

My gut feeling is that quite a few of us long for a place where we can engage in civil, structured, fact based discourse in an environment of mutual respect, even for those with whom we unquestionably disagree. A place where the exchange of ideas matters more than whether or not one is on the winning side of an argument.

So. Yeah… It’s time for the Fighters to have a home once again.

Those of you who’ve been down this path before - you know what to expect. If you wish to give it a whirl again, double check to make sure you still have your Fighter tag.

Newer members who were not around for any previous incarnation of this forum - to participate in the Debate Forum you will need to have the “Fighter” status ( It would/will appear under your username in your mini-profile ) applied to your account. To be approved for the “Fighter” status you only need only have an active ( as in being an active member, authoring threads, replying in other members threads, etc ) account that is currently in good standing.

Anyone who needs or wants to apply for Fighter status can post their request into this thread or send me a request via personal message.
This forum has always been one of my favorite things about ATS and I am personally thrilled at the idea of it coming back to life.

Hopefully many of you are as well!

Thanks!

Hefficide

edit on 2/9/18 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hi again everyone!

Just a quick couple of things:

1) This forum has been mothballed so long that I'd forgotten the fact that most members cannot reply to it. Doh.

2) I am receiving PM's about fighter status and those requests are being looked at. At the moment I -think- the process will be to only directly reply if there is an issue. IE if you receive no reply it either means that you've received Fighter status and it should show on your mini-profile OR something went wonky in the messaging system and I didn't receive your request meaning you should shoot me another message to double check.

Whatever the case - it will likely take a few days to get things sorted though new Fighter tags could well start showing up at any point.

ETA: After some staff discussion this thread has been moved from the Debate Forum into Board and Business Questions so that any and all members can post to the thread.
edit on 2/10/18 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ok , I would like to be considered.
From my lurking days , way back in the day , I found the Debate Forum the most interesting and ahead of it's day.
Whether or not I am accepted, I feel the return of this Forum is a great thing for ATS

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

As much as I'd be interested, I'd be willing to wager that there'd be more interest in others knocking me down a peg or three.

I'd be willing to enter into the fray.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Im in Heff. There is nothing to lose aside from a little pride and ego!

Maybe I'll get my chance to knock DB up a peg!

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I really don't think this is you.

idioms.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Shouldn’t Fighter status be given after participating in a debate..?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

The Fighter status is required to post in the Debate forum so the horse has to come before the cart in that regard.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

The Fighter status is required to post in the Debate forum so the horse has to come before the cart in that regard.

You mean watered down horse....got it.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

You mean watered down horse....got it.

Actually not at all.

The reason for the mandatory status to post is for a good reason. It allows for the debate threads to only include content and posts from those actually engaged in the debate. These are not typical threads where anyone with a viewpoint is free to add their thoughts.

This keeps the actual debate pure ( not influenced by posts from other members ), avoids those seeking to troll from upending the process and makes the threads far more engaging and streamlined reading for the membership at large.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
HI Heff, hope you are drinking plenty of tea and getting better fast. Scary times for the flu, the flu/vaccines will be a very interesting debate.

Hopefully, this takes flight soon as spring will find us out in the gardens and running about with the fever.

Thank you for taking this on and bring back one of the best features of ATS

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Just needed to quote an ATS legend 👌👊

If I can debate in icelandic im up for it.

Great idea tho

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I had forgotten all about the debate forum. It will be nice to watch some great debates again.

Why did it go away in the first place?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Sounds like fun. Please consider this my request to participate.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Well. This could be interesting.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm very interested in the forum.

What is the process for such?

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I would like fighter status and would love to participate in some debates.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Popping in to say that we've got everyone who's requested Fighter Status here and directly via PM listed out and are beginning the process of reviewing things.

So the ball is rolling!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Bump!!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Sounds good!

Count me in for Fighter Stats too, sounds interesting

Bump!

join