It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate to vote 12 p.m. ET Monday Jan 21 2018 to end shutdown

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The Senate is apparently getting ready to vote again on a temporary funding bill.

Majority Leader McConnel says Republicans are goint to talk about a DACA/immigration solution.

Lots of controversies and hoodwinking happening.

Some think this 3-week appropriation could get the 60 votes today.

I wonder.

The politicians have been deep-flapping all weekend about this boondoggle.

Government shutdown: Senate to vote 12 p.m. ET Monday to end shutdown

Last Updated Jan 22, 2018 10:30 AM EST

The government shutdown remains in effect Monday, after senators failed to come to an agreement to end it late Sunday night. A vote is scheduled for noon Monday that would end the shutdown with a short-term spending bill that would last three weeks. Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell attempted to schedule a vote Sunday night that would end the shutdown, but Minority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer objected.

McConnell promised that if by Feb. 8, there is no agreement on immigration, the Senate, assuming that the government remains open, would address DACA and border security, as well as increased defense spending. "Let's step back from the brink" and stop victimizing the American people and get back to work, McConnell argued.

Schumer told McConnell he was "happy to continue the conversation," but said that Democrats and the GOP had "yet to reach an agreement on a path forward."

They're in recess until 11:30am EST....

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If anybody can forgive my laziness and clue me into this whole situation, even with just a short worded sentence I'd be thankful.

Who is to blame here ?

If it's trump, is he right to do so to get his way and will his way truly benefit America ?

If it's the democrats, are they just doing so out of spite or is their way more beneficial to America ?

Without getting into "feelings" take into consideration the benefits either one would have on America as a country, and not individuals or political correctness "stuff".

As always my ATS family, thank you for any decent replies to my comment
have a good day

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: CuriousPaddy
If anybody can forgive my laziness and clue me into this whole situation, even with just a short worded sentence I'd be thankful.

Who is to blame here ?

If it's trump, is he right to do so to get his way and will his way truly benefit America ?

If it's the democrats, are they just doing so out of spite or is their way more beneficial to America ?

Without getting into "feelings" take into consideration the benefits either one would have on America as a country, and not individuals or political correctness "stuff".

As always my ATS family, thank you for any decent replies to my comment
have a good day

Come on now...you weren't too lazy to write that long post were you? Surely you can be bothered to read any of the threads here on the subject or heck...just give it the old Google. It's all over the news and has been.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yeah I wrote it quick enough, it's amazing the speed one can achieve through tapping buttons instead of using ink or lead.

You are right though I could just go and do a little research later tonight, just at this moment in time I am lazy and thought someone here would give me a quick low down, the nice folks usually do
a reply to: tigertatzen

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I find it interesting that the so-called moderates of both parties met to work this out.

Perhaps moderates is a false label? Are those that 'meet' more accurately named the 'good old boy' network.

Reasserting immigration law has the highest approval rating outside the economy, IIRC.

This smacks of nothing but betrayal.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

a reply to: CuriousPaddy

Can anybody clue me into this whole situation

Sorry, We're Closed...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Who's at fault? Politicians

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

It started with George Bush IMO

How the federal budget is supposed to work and why it rarely does

Congress is historically spotty when it comes to agreeing on a budget resolution — the last time it happened was in 2009. In fact, before 2013, the Senate had gone several years without passing its own budget resolution. That’s why Republicans would deploy the technically correct but misleading soundbite accusing Senate Democrats of not passing a budget for 1,000 or however many days — the Senate had indeed skipped the part where it sets internal spending targets, but it was still passing bills directing federal spending.

Without an agreed-upon budget framework, the House and Senate tend to go their own ways in appropriating funds, especially during times of divided government. That means critical steps in the process — like conference committees, or the Senate even voting on House-passed funding bills — simply don’t happen, especially for large or controversial spending areas. Last session, the House passed eight appropriations bills; the Senate didn’t vote on any of them.

What happens then?

If a budget isn’t in place by Oct 1, the start of the fiscal year, the government could shut down.

Congress avoids shutdowns by passing a short-term budget bill maintaining current spending levels called a “continuing resolution,” or “CR.” These give lawmakers more time to either write the 12 individual budget bills, or wrap them altogether in one overarching budget called an “omnibus bill,” which directs federal spending across all of the 12 appropriations areas.

Are omnibuses common?

Congress relies on CRs and omnibuses a lot. The last time Congress actually passed every individual budget bill was ahead of the 2002 fiscal year, and it took 8 CRs to get there first. Congress has passed its appropriations bills without needing a CR only four times since the 1977 fiscal year, University of Minnesota Congress expert Kathryn Pearson said, referencing a Congressional Research Service report.

Last year, Congress passed three CRs before agreeing to an omnibus bill covering the current (2015) fiscal year … and that was an especially odd one.
www.minnpost.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Who is to blame here ?

The left.

For over a YEAR they've put their parties political power over everyone else.

From the ad homenim attacks to the Russia bullsnip to the shut down.

If people want to point a finger here.

THAT's where they should be pointing it.

The party of the donkey.

The greatest threat the American public will ever face.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
www.zerohedge.com...

It appears as if the shutdown is over.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I do hope the shutdown ends and how it began made the dems look really bad. They should have agreed to the deal with the republicans agreeing to look at daca at a later time. But to say it was the lefts fault is simply not true. Trump did say he would sign whatever both parties came up with. Then last second said nope. So in my perspective both parties are to blame. And also using the term "left" in this regard is an accusation to those that lean left. I lean left but disagree with the Democratic party on the hill about the budget.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

About the budget ?

After spending more than all the presidents combined when their guy was in the oval ?

No it isn't.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Each admin spends more than the last. It is expected but not liked, but it happens and will continue to happen. And yes it is both parties fault. I am sorry if that upsets your partisan belief. Did Trump not say he would sign what was put in front of him? Both parties came up with a deal and presented it to him. What did he do?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Looks like they got 60+ votes !!

Shutdown will end !! (after another vote that needs 51 votes to pass)

edit on Jan-22-2018 by xuenchen because: Q++++

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Who is to blame here ?

The left.

For over a YEAR they've put their parties political power over everyone else.

From the ad homenim attacks to the Russia bullsnip to the shut down.

If people want to point a finger here.

THAT's where they should be pointing it.

The party of the donkey.

The greatest threat the American public will ever face.

This is inane nonsense.

Your argument is essentially 'because the Democrats didn't acquiesce to everything the Republicans wanted, its all their fault, boo hoo! This is totally unlike the Republican's when the Democrats and Obama were in power, because they worked with the Democrats to find equal common ground instead of stonewalling everything and anything!'

link   
OP, why didn't you title this headline as such:

Trump Wins Again! - Dems end hostage funding

?

That's much more accurate!

How does it feel Demmies? You lost big on this one!
edit on 22-1-2018 by Tempter because: adding bold

edit on 22-1-2018 by Tempter because: sp

Anyone here watch Schumer's speech just a few minutes ago on Cspan? He was trying to hard to put it to DT2020 with a smile yet the lady behind him was sitting there with the most pissed off face I've seen a few weeks.

Hilarious.

www.c-span.org.../senate-votes-end-shutdown-leaders-reach-deal-daca-debate&live&vod&start=2805

edit on 22-1-2018 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

link   
Okay so now they are kicking the can again for the upteenth time the ball is in the Chinese court, will they finally issue their gold back yuan oil future's contracts or are they as big of jawboners as our congress?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

This is inane nonsense.

No it isn't.

This is totally unlike the Republican's when the Democrats and Obama were in power, because they worked with the Democrats to find equal common ground instead of stonewalling everything and anything!'

Hey everyone just ignore the democrats were kicked out of power after the Affordable Shaft Act.

When the left held the trifecta.

Apples and Oranges.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

?

Lol, it feels like a little baby is shouting at me trying to get a rise, and instead I'll just leave you sitting in your poopy diaper.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: Tempter

?

Lol, it feels like a little baby is shouting at me trying to get a rise, and instead I'll just leave you sitting in your poopy diaper.

I actually do need a shower, which is odd because the water is already warming. I'll think of you now inside it.

thanks...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join