It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Its not just carpentry either its every construction trade

The IBEW guys were worried about not having work for a while on a job I was on a few weeks ago that was a rate job.

You nailed.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

One of the best ways to spend an evening. We played hours and hours of whist & spades. I still have entire notebooks filled up with scores that I keep simply for the fond memories.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Yep
It does us no good to put a stop to illegal and legal immigrants if the cheap labor express can just run to South America to get around our policy changes.

We need to start a hardline approach toward business rather than coddling them and letting them have a say in our government policies.

If you were the president and said that I would say "duck" and don't ride in a convertible---ever.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

This is a great idea as an individual solution however does not solve the problem as a whole.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: toysforadults

Oh god no.

Carpentry and the trades have a massive downside.

1.) Money come in from the banks on a big job for months or weeks

2.) Not always busy ir driving over 2 hours back and forth without pay or gas

3.) Upward mpbility doesnt exist because of the cost involved with bidding on commercial work. Bonding can cost 1 million or more, you need overhead to pay employees for over a year with no income and on and o

4.) Competition.. There is ALOT pf competition and they will work for less t

Could this be the result of massive over regulation in these industries by the government? Coupled with unfettered illegal immigration?

Sounds like if we reduced the legal hoops and red tape for business, and began to stem the flow of illegal immigration, there might be more viable job prospects for these millennials?

Naaah....that would be racist thinking. American's first? That's Nazi thinking right there (or so the MSM wants you to believe).

Majority of regulations are written by Big Business though.
Guess who created Net Neutrality, Big Business.
Once they no longer needed it, they stood back and let it go away.

I'd like to do a test and attack current regulations written by Big Business that want to keep these regulations in place.
Like pick a lot of regulations written by the oil companies.

Want to watch them howl?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

One of the best ways to spend an evening. We played hours and hours of whist & spades. I still have entire notebooks filled up with scores that I keep simply for the fond memories.

For many Millenials, that is not exciting enough. And, there is a chance you can lose playing those games. They cannot have that, as they expect either everyone is a winner, you you don't keep score. But, being electronically connected 24/7 is essential for life. Unfortunately, that is not free, like playing cards with friends....REAL FRIENDS.

It seems to me that many in that age group feel the need to collect as many "e-friends" as they can in some warped sense of self reassurance of their worth. It is not all in that age group, no. But a good part of them seems to act in that manner. I would love to ask them how many friends, real friends, they have that they have met, cried, and sacrificed for in that same period. If there is even one of those, then more of them is just gravy on the biscuit.

I'd take 1 real friend of that type of 1000 e-friends.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Sad isn't it? So very many people want business regulated because they believe it's for their safety and the government is protecting them. You see it all over these boards in thread after thread. They believe that regulations will somehow "stick it" to big business, but while big business doesn't necessarily like extra regulation because it does kill their ability to work, they do like it on another front.

Because those regulations do impact bottom line (husband works in big business and deals specifically with regulatory), only the very biggest can survive them, so if they are going to be regulated, might as well make sure they can survive them and that they can isolate themselves from other competitors to their market at the same time.

link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yep
It does us no good to put a stop to illegal and legal immigrants if the cheap labor express can just run to South America to get around our policy changes.

We need to start a hardline approach toward business rather than coddling them and letting them have a say in our government policies.

If you were the president and said that I would say "duck" and don't ride in a convertible---ever.

I agree
We have not had a Pro American Pro Worker President in this country in years.
All Corporate and Banking Lobbyists need to be thrown out of our government on their behinds.

The past 7 presidents have been beholden to the Big Banks and Big Corporations.
I hope I see the day when a lot of these are under attack from all sides.
edit on 21-1-2018 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Sometimes you need to just take care of yourself first and stop worrying about the world.

Even if you somehow solve this worldly employment option, you still have to deal with the individual workers. The newest batch of workers are changing things rapidly. There are the lazy ones that make those of us that simply show up on time and adhere to a schedule look better and better. Then there are those that simply reject the *($*(* material world, work the bare minimum to provide independent food and shelter, then soak up all life has to offer.

Those are the newest generation that I am really excited about. They are going to change things and quickly. It is even happening overseas.

Why not just position yourself and start enjoying the world instead of putting everything on your shoulders as a burden?

link   

All true, lobbying should be pared back bigly.

Majority of regulations are written by Big Business though.
Guess who created Net Neutrality, Big Business.
Once they no longer needed it, they stood back and let it go away.

I'd like to do a test and attack current regulations written by Big Business that want to keep these regulations in place.
Like pick a lot of regulations written by the oil companies.

Want to watch them howl?

Big business would howl at a flat tax too, so would the poor. The middle class would throw a party.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Home prices in major metro areas have appreciated nearly 400% since the early 90's but there has been no overall rise in the average workers pay.

It doesn't take a UFOligist to figure out where the money comes from, or where it went, but here's a hint: it's in the home equity and 401k/IRAs of the immortal 65+ set.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: SR1TX

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: SR1TX
I make more money than anyone on here and likely the site.

I am a Millennial.

How about sharing some of your 300K pesos with me?

I need about tree fitty!

Invest in us. I'll make that a reality for you.

I wouldn't invest in obvious slimes who need to post how much money they make and how many one night stands they have.

Right, the cool crowd is the one B***ing how poor they are and how much one generation sucks more than the previous. Got it.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
Home prices in major metro areas have appreciated nearly 400% since the early 90's but there has been no overall rise in the average workers pay.

It doesn't take a UFOligist to figure out where the money comes from, or where it went, but here's a hint: it's in the home equity and 401k/IRAs of the immortal 65+ set.

Yes, and government constantly is scheming about ways to take it away.

What do you have against people who are working to save against retirement?

I have a home and we have a 401(k) because we don't expect SS to be there for us when we get too old to work. Does that bother you that we are working diligently to provide for our old age?

Btw, we are Gen X, not boomers. Heck, apparently Millennials were born in the '80s. If so, I missed being one by only five years.
edit on 21-1-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Sad isn't it? So very many people want business regulated because they believe it's for their safety and the government is protecting them. You see it all over these boards in thread after thread. They believe that regulations will somehow "stick it" to big business, but while big business doesn't necessarily like extra regulation because it does kill their ability to work, they do like it on another front.

Because those regulations do impact bottom line (husband works in big business and deals specifically with regulatory), only the very biggest can survive them, so if they are going to be regulated, might as well make sure they can survive them and that they can isolate themselves from other competitors to their market at the same time.

Not all regulations are bad though.
Like clean water for example.
I just want to attack the regulations that the Big Corporations are for that have nothing to do with protecting the citizen but empower the business.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You read way too much into my post. I'm telling you where the money goes and why it simply isn't "there" anymore. People demand a 6-10 percent return on their investment, annually (and those are the regular folk). There is never going to be enough new productivity, discovery or "west" to sustain that.

That's where most of the money went. The rest is in state and federal pensions and social security (which I have been paying into for 30+ years at age 48).

I never mentioned boomers or X's by name and I don't have an issue with the basic structure of saving for retirement. There just isn't enough juice to go around for all of the stakeholders. Of course the youngest stakeholders will get the shaft. They have less equity under the current system.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I think we should create a new Citizens United, but one for Citizens that do not own corporations.

Under this new ruling, all citizens would have the same power as corporations.
That means every citizen is award a team of accountants to get out of paying expenses.
Every citizen is awarded a team of lawyers to fight against corporations.
Every citizen is awarded a team of lobbyists to purchase politicians and create policies beneficial to them and detrimental to corporations.
Every citizen is also awarded a million dollars to purchase their president of choice.

The firs thing I would do is make it illegal to have trade pacts with slave labor countries, and put trade pacts with first world countries only.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I am now 47 and have heard all my life that the older generations always find the younger ones to be wanting in some way, and it hasn't failed yet.

The Greatest Generation did not just win the war, they came home and taxed the living # out of themselves in order to run neck and neck with the Soviets, build the interstates, build the greatest public university system ever dreamed of, dump money into basic science research that resulted in advances in defense, computers, engineering, they built airports, hospitals, bridges and tunnels, mass transit of the type we simply call "too expensive now."

They had unions that acted as a check on ownership so that as the country's economic standing expanded so, too, did this thing called "the middle class" (something new). Unions helped ensure that the average line worker for GM - the largest private employer at the time - made $55,000 in today's dollars, the minimum wage was $10.60 in today's dollars, companies had pensions, benefits included paid vacation and health insurance (a fantastic bargain worked out between unions and ownership, unions gave up some pay bc the company could buy health insurance for huge groups at cheaper rates).

CEOs made on average 44x what the average worker in the company made. Blue collar union kids, kids whose dad worked at the plant or on the force, those kids got to go to college, became this generations lawyers, doctors and engineers.

When a company got too big, such as Ma Bell, it got busted up into little pieces, and Wall Street bankers believed that making more money than their industrial clients was "unseemly."

Today, we are "Taxed Enough Already" even though the people screaming this are paying half in taxes than their GG parents. Baby boomers inherited this juggarnaut and immediately began tearing it down. Unions simply had to go, spreading money around wasn't wanted, "Right to Work [for near nothing" became the new thing, Walmart became the largest private employer and pays so little that a parent with 2 kids needs SNAP and Medicaid, there are no pensions these days, Wall Street needs it's slice from 401Ks, minimum wage has been $7.50 or so since forever, the average CEO makes 280x the average worker, and everything is too expensive, we no longer build highways, airports, hospitals or transportation.

It's nothing more than greed. The Baby-boomers always had it all about them, they've torn it all down in their own interests. And of course, now, many generation X and millenials rely greatly on the money of their baby-boom parents because they'll never ever get a chance at a life like that, they're working at Walmart or some call center, the great construction jobs aren't paying what carpenters, electricians, concrete workers, etc what they're worth because there are no more big projects, no BART, no Interstates, no airports, there is too little for them to make a real living.

Greed, working alongside computerization and robots have created a dismal future for every foreseeable generation that doesn't already have legacy money. We are now just like the royal system in Europe that people fleed, a landed gentry and serfs.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

There are also a lot of foreign investors that come into this country and buy up housing which also keeps in inflated.
There are a lot of policies that punish millions of Americans in order to reward the wealthy that need to come to an end.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We had that, it was called the government ran as a representative republic.

We let the corporations take it from us.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

We had that, it was called the government ran as a representative republic.

We let the corporations take it from us.

Well said.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join