It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Ah yes, nightlife.

For us nightlife was a few friends who came over and we played games around a table. Who could make it varied greatly because of various work schedules, but we played with whoever could make it that night.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican
a reply to: toysforadults

So you are doing something that most recommended? You have a viable trade and or learning another viable trade. I think many that advocate against college are really advocating against the useless degrees pushed at liberal arts schools.

Blame the employers that want everyone to have a degree for things that never used to be required.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: toysforadults Most people working none stop with no time or money in their free time to even do anything. The entire nightlife has fricken died in my area and crime has gone up 100% every year.

Poor, poor baby! A nightlife???? Good Lord, when I was your age I couldn't afford a nightlife. I worked retail for the minimum wage--with a Master's degree, not so much different than now. Health care? You've got to be joking. I got appendicitis and paid for my life out of my own pocket--slowly--the whole thing. Student loans? Paid 'em off--no default- on the minimum wage. Don't ask me how. Insurance? Hahahaha! But you know what? Those were some of the best years of my life. I didn't know I was poor. At one point I didn't even know I was homeless. I just thought I was between jobs and traveling, living in my $200 car. Mom didn't have basement I could move into. She, a member of the Great Generation was as poor as I was anyway. But since she lived through the Great Depression, she thought she was doing okay. So when you guys whine about how poor you are I have very little sympathy. You don't know what poor is. Poor is going to be hungry because there is no food. Lack of a nightlife? That is beyond funny.

I guess I should consider listening to my home built crystal AM radio from spare parts taken from cast offs my nightlife at that age. No iPod or 99cent song purchases for me. Free AM radio, with no cost for batteries or power. But, the satisfaction and pride of building it myself made it that much more enjoyable.

ETA: And if anyone is wondering how I learned to do that, it was called a library. And getting access was also free. And, you could stay there all day, and your parents didn't have to worry or need to track your every movement. Glamorous, perhaps not. But it did instill in me a sense of self accomplishment and reliance upon what I could do if I applied myself. You know, REAL self esteem that I earned on my own.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: SR1TX
I make more money than anyone on here and likely the site.

I am a Millennial.

How about sharing some of your 300K pesos with me?

I need about tree fitty!

Invest in us. I'll make that a reality for you.

link   

I am a Millennial.

So you're the blind squirrel that managed to find a nut?
Congrats..

link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Cost of machinery has been a thing ever since there was processing of animals- teeth to a bone knife.
Nothing has changed, by that I mean physical labor has decreased because of conveyors-electric motors-automated/computerized systems. And that makes the '1' worker handle the jobs or production of 5, 10 or even 30 people because of the controls/updated equipment.
But the productivity gains rarely reflect the gains in pay, and this is where automation will be taxed, and a universal income will be implemented.

Don't believe me? Ask the legions of temp workers that are paid $9 in 2018 when in 2014 these very same jobs were filled with full time with benefits employees. It's no mistake that we are quickly becoming a temp employed country.

edit on 21-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Good for you, champ

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I am a Millennial.

How about sharing some of your 300K pesos with me?

I need about tree fitty!

Invest in us. I'll make that a reality for you.

I wouldn't invest in obvious slimes who need to post how much money they make and how many one night stands they have.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

Exactly. Everyone is a winner and equal. I get this all the time....."So....I know I just started and have only worked a day, but I am going to need the next two weeks off to....." Then why did you apply?

Sounds like American Exceptionalism many push where we all deserve a trophy for being American

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I am a Millennial.

So you're the blind squirrel that managed to find a nut?
Congrats..

To Quote G Ez "This S*** ain't random I didn't get lucky" It's a ton of work for a short period of time to live like no one else for a long periiod of time.

Any one of you can do it too.. It just takes Heart and Will. The other stuff they talk about is nonsense in business. Work hard, it's yours.

link   

So you are doing something that most recommended? You have a viable trade and or learning another viable trade. I think many that advocate against college are really advocating against the useless degrees pushed at liberal arts schools.

I have 3 trades however 2 of them are not financially viable.

I guess if I move to a big city I can probably make carpentry work.

My third trade is an athletic skill that is hard to generate an income from.

I'm hoping technology is better.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Yeah, well athletics is always pretty much going to be a bust unless you are Wile E. Coyote Super Athlete. My athletic skill as only good enough to get me a good scholarship at a solid school.

Sometimes you can make it work out for you, but you need to be creative.

Carpentry can work out wherever. I have an uncle who made a decent living in the back of beyond doing custom cabinets for various remodeling contractors. It involves getting your name and work out there, networking.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
THE AMERICAN DREAM IS NOT DEAD.... You just now have to move to Central or South America to achieve it..

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh god no.

Carpentry and the trades have a massive downside.

1.) Money come in from the banks on a big job for months or weeks

2.) Not always busy ir driving over 2 hours back and forth without pay or gas

3.) Upward mpbility doesnt exist because of the cost involved with bidding on commercial work. Bonding can cost 1 million or more, you need overhead to pay employees for over a year with no income and on and o

4.) Competition.. There is ALOT pf competition and they will work for less t

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

THE AMERICAN DREAM IS NOT DEAD.... You just now have to move to Central or South America to achieve it..

Actually my plan is to eventually move to a cpuntry where the telecom industry is experiencing rapid growth

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

So speaks the millennial mindset. You've cut yourself off from it before you've even begun. I've had one uncle, a cousin, and another cousin's best friend all break into that line of work in a more or less rural situation and do very well for themselves.

But according to you, it should have been impossible for that to have happened.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Yep
It does us no good to put a stop to illegal and legal immigrants if the cheap labor express can just run to South America to get around our policy changes.

We need to start a hardline approach toward business rather than coddling them and letting them have a say in our government policies.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
*shrugs* I do not want to hear about student loan debt, there are plenty of options available to avoid massive debt but they require some work and some planning and a willingness to delay things slightly in some cases.

Anyone that racks up 6 figures of debt and is not a lawyer/doctor/veterinarian etc (ie lots and lots of extra school) you made bad choices.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh god no.

Carpentry and the trades have a massive downside.

1.) Money come in from the banks on a big job for months or weeks

2.) Not always busy ir driving over 2 hours back and forth without pay or gas

3.) Upward mpbility doesnt exist because of the cost involved with bidding on commercial work. Bonding can cost 1 million or more, you need overhead to pay employees for over a year with no income and on and o

4.) Competition.. There is ALOT pf competition and they will work for less t

Could this be the result of massive over regulation in these industries by the government? Coupled with unfettered illegal immigration?

Sounds like if we reduced the legal hoops and red tape for business, and began to stem the flow of illegal immigration, there might be more viable job prospects for these millennials?

Naaah....that would be racist thinking. American's first? That's Nazi thinking right there (or so the MSM wants you to believe).

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

If you can find a local ISP that isn't public, that would be a great job to have, even here in the states. Good job security and the compensation shouldn't be too low. Plenty of job types and a lot of mobility within the company. Put in a little time with good work history and many other positions open up. There should be a lot of internal training available if you want to go that direction through NCTI & SCTE, usually fully paid for by the company.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join