It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown - Soldiers are being told that they will not get paid!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thank you for the edit!

a reply to: watchitburn

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
23 Year Vet still on Active Duty. Yup! Got Emails from DFAS/Comptroller that no pay.... Proud to Serve!
a reply to: Buvvy

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
He and his finacee signed a lease for their rental home in November (they just got married). It would really damage their credit report if they attempted to break the lease and move on base. Not to mention the strain it would put on thier marriage. We will help them get through this.

Hopefully, after going through this the kids will set some money aside and save up and be prepared in case this happens again the next budget cycle. But then again - they don’t have kids yet. Saving money in your 20’s can be so challenging.

a reply to: worldstarcountry

edit on 20-1-2018 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Thank you for your service!

a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Congress can pass a separate bill just to cover military pay. They did last time.

It is up to Congress.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Thank you for the reasurance. We are trying to be optimisitc.

I think our government / country would probably benefit from a major overhaul in many areas. We have accomplished so much; however, the past 15 years society has been backsliding/devolving - primarily due to the internet. I will save that for a different rant.

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Servicemen and women should have the same pay guarantee as members of congress.

Congress should not get paid if the government shuts down.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Servicemen and women should have the same pay guarantee as members of congress.

Congress should not get paid if the government shuts down.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

No! Congress should get fined
for not passing a budget. It's part of their job to do this, and pissing around over a situation that has till March to be addressed doesn't even make sense. Even outside of this current issue/non-issue I think that a good fine for not conducting themselves in the best interest of those they represent will stop this type of trash for happening so often.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
actually, the dems proposed the bill last night that would have assured the military got paid, it was objected to by the senate majority leader...
the way our congress has been functioning, for quite a while really, is quite shameful.... on both sides. they are using human beings as political pawns in their sick chess game. never actually passing a real budget, just these short band aide fixes that last awhile and then we are back to the same crap. I have to give credit to those federal workers and our troops for showing up for work like they do, I don't think I would. we really need a law that would also prevent those who are responsible for ensuring the gov't is kept running from getting their checks also.. maybe that would convince them to stop playing the sick games. but, sorry to say, it would have to be the politicians that would write this law, and fat chance of that happening, and they like playing this sick chess game with real humans as the chess pieces.

I am sorry to all those in the service who have to put up with this, you above all, should not have to worry weather or not you will be paid while you are on a battlefield!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I entirely agree.

Unfortunately, you don’t see anyone proposing new legislation to ensure that the soldiers get paid. Congress certainly made sure they were financially protected!

“...Congress will still get paychecks, under two parts of the Constitution. Article I, Section 6, says that congress members “shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States.” The 27th Amendment also forbids any change in the compensation rate for Congress during a current term.”

Source: constitutioncenter.org...

a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

POTUS can authorize pay so I wouldn’t worry.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
The part that amazes me is that unemployment checks still get paid. People who are actively working don’t get paid but people who aren’t working do get paid. Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?

a reply to: madenusa

We have been living through a period dominated by hierarchy – where people who order other people around are important, and all others are an undifferentiated mass.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Contact USAA. They're supposed to be doing a 0 interest loan to cover pay for military members that need help because they aren't getting paid.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I understand that government is a necessary evil. Unfortunately, no matter how noble a politicians initial intentions may be - elected government officals invariably protect their personal income and interests more than those of the constituents that they were elected to serve.

At this point there is so much corruption and divisiveness in our capitol that nothing that will actually benefit the vast majority of American’s is getting accomplished.

Denmark, Austria and Brazil are doing something right. Maybe we should be following their lead?

a reply to: dawnstar

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Perhaps you're not looking.

In the Senate, Sen. Jack Reed, a Rhode Island Democrat and the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, put in a bill called the "Pay Our Military Act" to allow service members to continue to receive paychecks and related compensation over the course of the shutdown.
"This bill would make sure that all active-duty, reservists, National Guard troops, as well as any civilians and contractors working in support of those forces can do their jobs and receive their paychecks," Reed said in a statement.

On the House side, Rep. Martha McSally, an Arizona Republican, also introduced legislation that would continue to pay the military and those in the Department of Homeland Security performing national security duties.
Her bill would also prohibit members of Congress from receiving a paycheck during the shutdown.

www.military.com...

K~

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Will do! Thank,you for the suggestion! a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well looks like the Republicans will screw things up even more.

Republicans Just Killed The Bill To Make Sure Troops Get Paid During Shutdown

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) introduced a resolution that would have ensured that pay for military service members and death benefits would not be disrupted.

“I don’t want one moment to pass with there being any uncertainty of any soldier anywhere in the world that they will be paid for the valiant work they do on behalf of our national security,” McCaskill said.

That sounds reasonable enough, right?

Well, not to Mitch McConnell. For some reason, the Kentucky Republican objected to McCaskill’s resolution.
On Friday, McConnell said, “They will see which senators vote to shove aside veterans, military families, and vulnerable children to hold the entire country hostage.”

And then on Saturday morning, McConnell killed the resolution which was proposed in order to protect the troops from Trump’s government shutdown.

addictinginfo.com...

K~

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I was referring to a permanent solution (not just a current budget year fix). Legislation protects Congress so they don’t ever to have their income impacted by a shutdown. I would like to see the same type of legislated protections passed for our troops.

As long as the soldiers aren’t protected by legislation they will always be used as bargaining chips and/or political pawns.

a reply to: aethertek

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
He won't.

He's covered for Midmonth pay, but his BAH, BAQ, BAS, any special pays like flight pay and airborne duty pay, along with his base pay will not be doled out on the first.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join