It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown - Soldiers are being told that they will not get paid!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
My son is a 20 year old soldier in the U.S. Army and he has been told by his Brigade Commander, Company Commander, Platoon Leader, and Sergeant that he will not get paid if the shutdown extends beyond the end of this month. He isn’t sure if he will be getting a paycheck on 2/1/18 or not. He is a newlywed and he and he wife are living off base in a rental home - paycheck to paycheck (like many young couples).

He has been told that they will be backpaid once the budget is approved - but that doesn't help him at all when he has bill’s that need to be paid. He is worried sick about this. Fortunately, we are in a position to be able to help him out and pay their bills until this all gets resolved. He still has to put on his uniform and report to work every single day - he just doesn't get paid.

It really hits home when your a family member is affected by the shutdown. I can only imagine how financially devastating this will be for the young married soldiers who have children and who don't have families that can help them out. Most of the guys in my son’s unit are really young 18-25 and lots of them are married

I told all of this to my neighbor (a retired Army officer) and he didn't believe me and told me soldiers are exempt and they always get paid. Evidently after our conversation my neighbor made a few phone calls. He called me back and told me that he was wrong. He was able to confirm that the soldiers at my son’s base have been told they won’t get a paycheck if the shutdown continues.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It probably won't last too long, they're just posturing for more pork most likely.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Wam, bam, thank you for your SERVICE, military minions!

Meanwhile Congressmen laugh as the direct deposits continue to pour in.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
That's not how it works.

Your son is being lied to as is your neighbor.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

I'm active duty and I haven't been told that. I've been in 17 years. I remember getting paid in 2013 the last time they shutdown.

I don't think he has anything to worry about.

Edit:
So I stand corrected.
Active duty pay would be delayed until a new budget is passed, or a continuing resolution is agreed to, or a separate piece of legislation is enacted to continue military pay.

However, not paying the active duty troops, especially coming up on the 1st of the month, when most rent and other bills are generally due. And yes many young active duty members live paycheck to paycheck and would be hit hard.

That would make for devastating front page pictures of young service members not being able to feed kids, pay rent, electricity... Would be political suicide for congress.

I don't see it being allowed to happen.
edit on 20-1-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I'm a veteran! If the soldiers and vets don't get paid, there should be only one response. Lock these elected traitorous representatives into the capital building without pay, food, water, or restrooms until they come to a deal.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Would anyone argue that during fed government shutdowns, Congresspersons officially continues on payroll but Military personnel don't?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
In the meantime my husband and I will get to make two house payments, pay two electric bills, utilities, cable bills, car payments for two households, car insurance payments, and keep the kids fed. It adds up very quickly.

I empathise with my son because when I was his age I had a job as a dental assistant and I had a paycheck bounce. That was financially devastating. Trustingly I had deposited my paycheck and then I mailed out all of my bills...figuring the check had plenty of time to clear prior to my bill payments arriving at their destinations. I got massacred with bounced check fees. It was a huge life lesson and taught me not to put blind trust in my employer.

What type of lesson does this teach our soldiers? They break these guys down and build them back up so they will completely trust the Army and function without questioning anything. Do you think these soldiers will trust Uncle Sam to have their back when they can’t even rely on getting a regular paycheck?

reply to: SkeptiSchism

edit on 20-1-2018 by Buvvy because: Typos

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Executive office gets paid, Congressmen, Senators and Federal Judges all continue to get paid. a reply to: Planette

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Planette
Would anyone argue that during fed government shutdowns, Congresspersons officially continues on payroll but Military personnel don't?
The shutdown won’t affect the politicians responsible for it.

Here are three groups of Americans who lose when the government shuts down..

Low-income kids in Head Start,these Head Start centers, which rely largely on federal money.

Military families and veterans ,the federal government provides a ton of services to them —everything from health care to education, housing, recreation, and subsidized groceries.

Low-wage federal contractors,most of the janitors, security guards, and cafeteria servers who work in federal buildings

That means that Congress may continue to disrupt the lives of military families, poor children,and low-wage workers.

All in the name of American politics.
edit on 20-1-2018 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
When my neighbor (retired Army officer) first heard about this (I posted it on FB) he called me and told me it was probably just the base rumor mill. He said that he had been through shutdowns when he served and they always got thier checks. He didnt believe it any more than you did.

My neighbor took his own initiative to make calls to confirm what I told him. When he contacted me back he and said he was wrong. He was able to confirm that what my son told me is exactly what is happening. The soldiers are being forewarned by their commanding officers that if this continues beyond the end of this month they will not get thier paychecks. They are being told that they will be backpaid once the budget is approved.

Note: I don’t care about the politics I just want my kids to be ok.

a reply to: SR1TX

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If he banks w/USAA he will get paid.

Well, probably.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What really makes my blood boil immigrants and politicians will still get financial support threw this shut down...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Tell everybody you know the spam Chuck Schumer's twitter account as well as those Senators of both sides who voted down the bill. They are the ones responsible. Fill their voicemails, send them nasty letters, let them know they will not be getting votes if they are from your state.

In the interim, consider recommending they move on base like many thousands of other American servicemen to help out. They are trained to survive intense combat behind enemy lines, surely they can survive a temporary funding hiccup or possibly on a base.

Over a dozen shutdown since 1976, life went on after.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

There isn't enough base housing or barracks rooms for everyone to live on base.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well at least DACA has funding until March ... It's a good thing we took care of people who aren't even American citizens before our own military.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Most just got paid. Hopefully this will be resolved in 11 days before the next pay period. And , Congress can temporarily fund the military at any time. Also , a partial budget is in the works to fund the government until mid-February
Seriously speaking , do you think the US behaves as a 3rd world country ?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My son was so gung-ho pro military before this happened. He was all set to make the military his career choice.

Just having to question if the government shutdown this will impact him or won’t impact him has just really made him question his long term plans. He and his wife are really stressed out over this. They are good kids - they don’t need this kind if stress in their first year of marriage.

What would he do if this happened while he was serving overseas? Who would reassure his wife if she were at home with a baby and he were deployed and the government suddenly announced that they might not get their paychecks?

I also have a friend who works for the EPA and she is in the same boat as my son. She was told to report to,work on Monday - not sure if she will get any checks. Fortunately she is married and her and her husband have savings - they can afford to miss a few paychecks. She said she went through this during the last shutdown. Was out of work for a few weeks but then got backpay. Kind of like extra paid vacation time but you can’t go anywhere or do anything because they could call you back at any time.

She said the new EPA budget is supposed to be reduced to 1970’s level funding so she doesn't know if she will still have a job under the new budget.

I don’t care about the politics. I’m just frustrated by the amount of stress that this is causing for the people that I care about.

a reply to: DanteGaland

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Servicemen and women should have the same pay guarantee as members of congress.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The part that amazes me is that unemployment checks still get paid. People who are actively working don’t get paid but people who aren’t working do get paid. Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?

a reply to: madenusa

edit on 20-1-2018 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2018 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join