It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The misconception of «God» in rabbinical Hebrew

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The first we hear of «God» is in the first verse of Beresh*t. His name is rendered as «Elohim» in rabbinical Hebrew and elsewhere. The word/name makes no sense in its current shape, and not only since it's plural, acting as singular, but the whole word/name is corrupted.

Heb. אלהים is still contracted as when the Torah was originally written, in so called scriptura continua. However, since they started dividing the words in Hebrew some words were omitted, as in the case with «Elohim».

The correct way to divide Heb. אלהים is Heb. אל ה-ים, that is El Ha-Yam. Lit. «Father [of] Yam» or more precisely, «Father [of] the [powers of] Waters». This is also evident in the word often translated God elsewhere in the Torah, Heb. אלוה typically rendered as «Eloah». This is also a contraction that has remained since the early days of the Torah. The correct way to split it up is Heb. אל וה which translates «Father and the First/Highest [Breath/Spirit]» or simply «The first father».

This explains how Elohim is seemingly plural, but takes on singular verbs, like the word often mistranslated «Create» -- Heb. ברא /bara/. «Bara» is also a contraction they have omitted in rabbinical Hebrew, and as in the former examples I have made here, it is probably done to turn the Torah Law into Religion. Correct way to translate /bara/ is Heb -בר א which means lit. «I will [have] a son».

The prophecy:
Genesis 1:1 First [the] Father [of Yam] will [have] a son [to/for] the Kingdom [of/with] Heaven[s] [or two names].....

The fulfilment:
Genesis 1:26 The Father said: Let us! I want a human son....
edit on 16-1-2018 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
sorry brotha, but you obviously dont speak hebrew very well

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

In the Canaanite Religion, El is the father of Yam.

Baal-Hadad defeated Yam,.....
YHWH defeated Leviathan,....
Enlil/Marduk defeated Tiamat,...

Genesis 1:2;
"Now the earth was formless and empty (tohu wa bohu), darkness was over the surface of the deep (tehom), and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters (ham ma yim).

Abzu as ("Tohu wa Bohu")
Tiamat as ("Tehom")
Yam as (”Ha Ma Yim”)

edit on 1/16/18 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
mayim- water (singular) is almost always found in its plural form
mei- meaning water of- is the singular and a rarley used conjugate
Yam- means ocean or sea
Tehom- means deep waters or just "the deep"

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Interesting I only studied Hebrew for 1 year and I have forgotten it now. But I like these verses, at least in English

Psalm 2:7

“I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord:
He said to Me, ‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.

Psalm 82:6

I said, “You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.

Romans 8:14

For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Romans 8:19

For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.

Personally, I think in the Greek there is no distinction between capital letters and lower case letters that distinction was added later as the Koine was translated into English during the reformation and the convention stuck.

So for instance I would read this as:

Galatians 3:26

For you are all Sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Makes a small difference in interpretation, no?

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This guy's entire post history is various misunderstandings of the Hebrew grammar of Genesis 1:1. He should let us know when he finally gets to Genesis 1:2. I'm guessing by the angle quotes around "God" that he's foreign and that's why his basic English comprehension is so poor.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SarMegahhikkitha
This guy's entire post history is various misunderstandings of the Hebrew grammar of Genesis 1:1. He should let us know when he finally gets to Genesis 1:2. I'm guessing by the angle quotes around "God" that he's foreign and that's why his basic English comprehension is so poor.

Not so sure.

Plenty of rather eccentric sorts on here. Or one very populous poster.

all I know is it's always the religious ones that spend more time formatting their weird posts, than thinking.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Thanks OP
Raphaim cherubim elohim, these are not names they are classes/categories. Elohim is creator class, WaveMaker.

Half of my country thinks Christ is a last name.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If you want to discuss something other than the OP, please start another thread. Thanks.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Do you just jot down your thoughts in any willy nilly way you like?

You don't seem to get that the world Elohim can be understood in a much more profound and encompassing way as NATURE.

Elohim is Nature, and hence, it has the same numerical value as 'ark' - as in the ark Noah made, as well as "HaTeVa" -
"the word", or more generally, nature.

The name also derives from El, "powers", and since nature is an expression of all sorts of different and multivarious powers, the most simply and elegant interpretation of the name would be "the powers of nature".

Also, you're right (although I don't know you could have known this!): Judaism is a religion. The experience od God or divinity as told from the perspective of a suffering and mistreated people.

The Torah is remarkable in the book of Genesis - as a metaphysical allegory of reality; but from Exodus onwards you get more into the realm of theology, and with the writings and prophets, you get the philosophical (or metaphysical) history.

It's a profound work, but the problem is the allegory: we need to outgrow this mode of seeking to explain things, otherwise, people begin to think there is no substance to it: allegory is in my opninion a method of deceiving the masses.

That said, the Torah was redacted by the ancient Hebrews, not what later became known as the "Rabbis". The Rabbi's may be genetically contiguous with the Hebrews, but the educational scaffolding required to reconstruct the allegory meaning slowly ebbed away following the traumatic ordeals of the Roman sacking of Palestine. There is much ridiculous nonsense in the Talmud, Midrashes and other Rabbinic texts just like you can find ridiculous beliefs in other traumatic-human contexts. It's the trauma that creates the excessive world-weariness and chronic critiquing of the other. In a certain sense, the world needed to change and the human being needed to expand their focus OUTSIDE THE FRAMEWORK OF GOD AND RELIGION for a humanistic and compassionate framework to be created that could BETTER METABOLIZE the semiotic constraints that makes coercing people who believe differently from you an IMPOSSIBLE ENDEAVOR - if you begin from a judgemental, upset, or critical position.

That said, I know dualists like you need their fairy-tales to make them feel better - given a dualistic philosophy - fostering two oppositional perspectives within the same brain - is BOUND TO MAKE YOU PSYCHOLOGICALLY ILL.

Stop focusing on the fear is my advice

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The first we hear of «God» is in the first verse of Beresh*t. His name is rendered as «Elohim» in rabbinical Hebrew and elsewhere. The word/name makes no sense in its current shape, and not only since it's plural, acting as singular, but the whole word/name is corrupted. Heb. אלהים is still contracted as when the Torah was originally written, in so called scriptura continua. However, since they started dividing the words in Hebrew some words were omitted, as in the case with «Elohim».Text

You have no idea of what you are talking about. You may probably have a few books that you use to bolster your lack of knowledge but this leads you into dangerous misunderstandings. Your first and foremost error is that you use rabbinical understanding and not the source of original autographs. The reason that you cannot use the autographs is simply that they are not available to us today. In other words the autographs do not exist in your dream world. You should stop your thread now and don't further embarrass yourself.
edit on 18-1-2018 by Seede because: sentence corrected

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

Exactly. And to usr:dashen; No one speaks Biblical Hebrew, but as an amateur linguist and religious scientist, I know more about Biblical Hebrew than many Modern Hebrew speaking Jews, so piss off already.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

Sounds about right if you choose that way

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join