It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sorry state of Gaming.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

i disagree with the opinions here on andomeda. the plot was equal to the original mass effect trilogy in my opinion. the graphics were improved. the fighting is massively improved and there's plenty of open world to run around in. could they have done better yes. had more locations to visit. sure. added more side quests yeah. but the game was far from a stinker. ok there was some politically correct stuff here and there but I could get past it. not like it was rogue warrior or something. now that was a horrible game. marcinko should have kicked in the front doors of the gaming studio that made it and whooped all their asses.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Titanfall 2 paid DLC is cosmetics only. Any other DLC like maps or new game modes are free. Its still the best FPS out there right now.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

...I tend to have a different attitude to gaming now that I'm older (a little over 40) than when I was younger.
What I'm getting at is - that I'm quite happy to play quality games, almost regardless of age (within reason - as I'll admit I do enjoy good quality visuals).
I also tend towards games that involve of a large investment of time - so you can play them over a longer period of time.
RPG's, FPS, FPS / RPG hybrids, simulators, strategy games and racing games are probably my favorites - plus I have a decent collection of arcade games and emulators.

So in response to your post - I suggest that if there isn't much appealing over the last year or so, then expand your horizons and look into some older / classic games and also consider emulators.

You don't mention PC gaming in your post, so I'm going to assume you're a console gamer ...?
...if you've got a gaming PC, then I could probably suggest a few things to have a look at - but I personally find consoles a bit limited...which your post is seeming to confirm.

What sort of stuff do you enjoy ?

re: Mass Effect Andromeda - I actually enjoyed it. It's a "light" RPG with a focus on combat, but i found it about on par with the first trilogy. I also had no issues at all with the animation - regardless of the numerous complaints. From what I read, the focus of those was the female shepherd character(s) - so playing as male minimised any complaints in that area.

As a random suggestion - have you played either Metro 2033 or Metro Last Light ...?
both are available on PS4 and I'm a fan of FPS/RPG hybrids.
edit on 15-1-2018 by muzj03 because: grammar correction

edit on 15-1-2018 by muzj03 because: grammar correction

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I wasn't sure if I should respond to this thread,I have an Atari 7800.
I play several online games all the time,Candy Crush,Farm Heroes...
I have the option to PAY for things to further my gaming experience,
BUT,I am a cheapskate.If you have to pay to play I say no way.

I just checked and I am on level 400 in Farm Heroes and level 433 in Candy Crush.
edit on 15-1-2018 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Imagine if you played a real game.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

A "real" game like one you need an XBOX or Play Station to play...gotcha.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

No.

You could use a PC or your crappy tablet I am sure.

What I was meaning is a game not built around a paywall, like thats the main purpose of those games.

thats the f2p poison.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
EA wrecks everything they touch. Ever since they wrecked SWTOR Ive been in a depression.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

They killed off so many developers I enjoyed

I honestly go out of my way to avoid EA these days, and tbh they not put out anything I want, maybe its because of the bad taste I know better.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

EA.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Sorry, way late to the thread; It seems like MMORPGS are included with this for sure. Wondering If I missed anything outside of looking up MMORPGs 2018. I'm getting into a sandbox one that's not Eve Online, I kinda like it but miss the theme-park like WOW but would like a more modern and realistic graphic gaming environment. Is their such thing as a mixed theme park sand box along those lines?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Oh I don't think it was "horrible", by itself it's not a horrible game. Where it falls short is when you compare it to it's 3 predecessors, ME 1, 2 and 3.

I went into the game fully expecting that in a lot of ways it would be like those first 3 games, the first game introducing us to something new and new characters who we learn to like a lot as we play.

But in order for that to happen, the game needed to continue, first through DLCs, then with new games being released after it (IE Mass Effect V....then VI, etc).

That didn't happen. Instead, they shut it down. No DLCs will be coming to anyone, and the fate of the franchise is up in the air. Worse, there were things that they said they would change or fix with further updates, but that's been dropped too. Things like: if you want to do things aboard your ship, like check your email, you have to board the ship and fly out into space. They said they were going to change that, because, let's face it, that's stupid as hell.

However, the only support that they will continue to give now is with the multiplayer part of the game.

Will I still play the game? Sure! I even started up a new game last week after taking a break from it for several months. It's not so horrible that I won't play it.

On the other hand though, it's very disappointing to know that there will not be anything new or more fixes for the game coming, and of course the disappointment in not knowing if there will ever be anymore ME games at all.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I'm not a MMORPG person really - but the only one that has appealed to me and I've gotten close to purchasing is the Elder Scrolls Online.
I don't think it's quite as diverse in terms of themes as WOW - which I haven't played. It's more of a consistent fantasy world on a grand scale - but it does have a lot of different geographic areas, with different architectures, races, languages etc.
I'm not sure if that's quite what you're looking for - but perhaps have a look at video reviews of it on YouTube if it's of interest.
I haven't purchased it purely because the RPG elements aren't as deep as Skyrim or Oblivion. You can find a lot of reviews that say the same things. If you're looking for an Elder Scrolls MMORPG then ESO might be your game. But it is not up to the level of the single player games in a few areas.
Personally I stick to offline singler player RPGs - and my favorites are highly modified versions of the Oblivion and Skyrim Special Edition. Those two with a lot of a mod's are really good (imo).

edit on 17-1-2018 by muzj03 because: added YT link

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I just finished playing Hellblade.

It’s amazing I would highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for something original

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
For MMORPG's Guild Wars 2 is pretty good. Lots of story, live events, soloable...always plenty to do so you never get bored

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: muzj03

Thanks, good reminder I'll check more into it, I've played a bit Skyrim and Oblivion, but wasn't sure if I'd like how that may translate in an online world.

I've looked into upcoming games again, but am skeptical due to upcoming games in the past no making it to being finalized. The following are crowd sourced, wonder if maybe they have a better chance:

Camelot Unchained vs Crowfall Comparison
These will be more PVP if one is into that(I'm only sometimes) but they look like they might be worth exploring. Looks like the graphics, and probably similar with other games, are the last to be worked on, so going to just have to see. The amount of classes offered in Camelot is pretty wild.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

One of my favorites when I was playing it-after it came out but havn't played since early 2016 or so. I wonder how it's going now days, good economy, etc.? I like the character race start areas-similar to WOW- not all games have that.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I just finished playing Hellblade.

It’s amazing I would highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for something original

Looks interesting,
Wiki says voice acting as an integral part and live action performances on with blending genres hack and slash to puzzles and horror.

edit on 17-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join