It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sorry state of Gaming.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lol ok, you guys scared me there for a second.

On topic, anyone playing Fortnite? I’m really liking it so far. Also looking forward to red dead 2 and far cry 5.

Haven’t played call of duty for years now, there all so similar and repetitive, and battlefield is so much better.

A couple games to check out if you haven’t already:
Fortnite
Killing floor 2
7 days 2 die
Fallout 4
The Witcher 3

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I think EA stung this guy as a small child, but he pretty much lays out 2017 in this video.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
What is wrong with Mass Effect Andromeda ? Did you play any of the previous 3 ?
I got it day one release on Steam and played the heck out of it .
As far as buying "half of a game" let us talk of Witcher 3. A dang HUGE game that added 16 free add-ons and 2 purchasable DLCs which added much more content to the game.
Can you name any games that truly were 1/2 games ? Well , other than Indie company releases with cheap titles looking to break into the business ? These games are sometimes the best.
I can name one "Life is Strange" . A five(?) parter which is highly recommended.Your character's choices etc. remain the same across all parts (seasons I believe is their word). Unlike the major games that if they come up with a sequel , you basically start the next game anew.

In short, DLCs are great. You get additional content to carry the game forward at a low price

And ABSOLUTELY NO ONE forces you to purchase the DLCs .
Grandma used to say , "some folks talk just to hear the sound of their voice"

edit on 1/12/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

If you want to make a nice looking character, there is plenty wrong with ME: Andromeda. The writing was lackluster. I couldn't make myself really care about any of my companions. At least in ME2 I had Garrus and Tali with me, Joker in the cockpit. I also grew to like Samara despite the serious restrictions on character interaction that the game imposed thanks to romance constraints.

In ME: Andromeda, I just couldn't make myself care enough to even finish a second playthrough. THe usual things that make me go back and slog through a BioWare RPG, even Dragon Age 2, the characters I really enjoy, were just not there.
edit on 12-1-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Moral of the story. Go play independent games.

Countless games are on PC now a days and tons of them are gems. Console doesn’t even come close anymore besides force fed cut and paste games.

I haven’t even played games personally in a couple years. I just watch streamers on YouTube, so much cheaper and satislflying IMO. But I see that people need to be in control of the game.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I am watching CD Projeckt Red's next project. I never got comfortable with The Witcher games. I couldn't immerse myself into being Geralt and I couldn't get comfortable with the combat, but take the combat and make it a more shooting style and I might have better luck - give me a protag I can identify with more - and I might get sucked right in.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I've been a gamer since my dad bought a Tandy TRS-80 many years ago. We then got a ZX Spectrum, but that stayed int he box under the television for a good year or so as the games were so expensive, and had already spent time manually typing the games int the Tandy. Roll on many years, PS1, PS2, PS3, XBox and various upgrades to PC's. There really aren't many different types of games about. All variations upon a theme.

The physics stay the same, but the graphics and complexities keep getting better.

Get your money saved, and give the Virtual Reality world a go. I bought a HTC Vive last year, and having slowly but surely built up my PC to be able to meet the specifications to run the software. WOWSERS!!!

The VR world is really where its going next. To be honest, i'm suprised nobody has started a thread about the VR stuffs yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I put a WHOLE LOTTA hours into Witcher 3 and thought the combat was VERY good..

I think it was just geared to a universal skill level..

The game would let you damn near sword dance between light and heavy attacks and blocks, but it would also let you just roll constantly and swing some lol..

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Day of the tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Monkey Island..

These games left a lot to be desired in the 'gameplay' section, but damn they were story rich.
I consider myself very lucky to have grown up during the dawn of the PC gaming age.

These days it's all on rails even though they try to convince you that 'the player has choices'.

Screw choices, give me a game that makes me feel something, a game that makes me think differently...
They use to be works of art.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Nostalgia is setting in.

I remember the "golden age" of gaming. Id say it was somewhere between 1995 and 2005.

A decade of amazing leaps in console graphics and processing, and new games, multiple games, every month, many of which were entertaining as #.

Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Sonic, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Final Fantasy, Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire...

Then dreamcast and ps3, so many amazing games. New sonic, phantasy star online, Shenmue??!?

Half Life #ing 2???

Now we get half assed rehashes of previous games that come out after several years. Destiny 2 has great gameplay but my god the laziness in creating new content and entertaining plots and dialogue is terrible.

We once had amazing games galore. Now we are lucky to get one a year at best.

edit on 13-1-2018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm sorry but those games look like a waste of human life,kids sitting there screaming at screen,virtual wars ,escape from reality,a liberal's dream,end up fat wearing eyeglasses,and no personality

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
With Mass Effect Andromeda, I was super excited over it prior to release and when first playing, even made a thread about it.

However over time, I was rather disappointed in quite a few things about it.

Fortunately, I was not plagued with all the bugs like so many were, however I did notice things that bothered me, like the fact that all the Asari except for BP look the same (that was just lazy).

We were promised that there would be lots of exploration, but they failed to deliver.

Being able to connect with the main characters: I didn't have too much of an issue with is. I mean we were given a brand new set of characters to learn about. The original 3 games, growing close to the characters took time, and several games. However, I did notice that the writing for them seemed rather forced, and that they expected us to feel the same way about them as we did Shepard and crew.

Then of course having EA drop the game and no forth coming DLCs was a bitter blow. Having lots of DLCs may have saved the game, but EA decided to shut it down and pretty much just support the multiplayer aspect of it. Very disappointing.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

You should post a pic of your physique lol

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
i guess we are not alawed to post links .wile this is not a one person shooter it is going up the charts and already has one spin off and looks to be adding war version soon as well .
It can be played on darn near every platform ( even x box one will play it using the browser version .
Its android works on apples stuff -Linux -windows and more .
So Using google look up My colony . Alos has forms for people to add ideas and talk about possible bugs needing to be fixed .
PS also has desktop version as well .
and check this guys up coming stuff ( colony wars ) death 3d
and just relised at xmass Antiquitas .
wile this guys is new at this he has done amazing in so little time and in another year even EA may start taking notice .
Of course I really am talking to the wrong group ( though Death 3d may be something you mite like )
and up coming colony wars may be another

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Thing is that I have to feel like I want to play the game enough to learn the ropes. I never got that far with Witcher. I couldn't identify enough with Geralt to care about his story, and the story itself started off slowly enough that it didn't hook me in. So there was little incentive for me to want to learn the ropes on combat.

I either needed a combat system that was engaging enough to make me want to learn it right off the bat rather than just annoying enough to be discouraging.

-or-

I needed a protagonist and story that engaged me.

With both those elements working against me, it wasn't going to work out very well.
edit on 13-1-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Yah, I had a LOT of people recommend Witcher to me, and I had the first game.

But I just couldn't get into the combat of it. Not saying it sucked, it was just different. I also had started to play Fallout 3 at the same time, and Fallout held my interest a lot more.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Andromeda was just awful, honestly I hated it, it was just awful, matter of opinion yeah but I just hated.

Witcher 3 came out in like 2015, 3 years ago, yeah it was amazing but I just think in general if you look at the quality of games its getting worse.

I guess its true we remember the amazing games from 2015, like the Witcher 3, fall out 4 and I think MGS 5 came out that year also but we don't remember the crap that came out. Honestly though I don't think that I am going to look back fondly on 2017 and gaming.

This year so far looks very promising but time will tell.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
For me, Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn were the best games of the past few years, with honorable mention to Uncharted 4.

I think the problem is, most of us have "been there, done that". There's very little new in gaming, just the same old stuff recycled as far as gameplay and unnecessary sequels.

And I do not like the trend of of all-online games (MMORPGs excluded). I like single player games like Horizon that I can play and explore they way I want

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

built myself a raspberry pie and you are right. got 500 games and it's hours of fun. and all in it was like 35 bucks to build.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

zero dawn was an amazing game and story. however I personally loved, LOVED uncharted 4. the ending was bittersweet. the game was gorgeous.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join