It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H&M: "COOLEST MONKEY IN THE JUNGLE" Ad goes terribly wrong

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So retail giant H&M recently put up an inflammatory and incendiary ad (albeit unintentional in my opinion) depicting a young African boy in a sweater with the words "COOLEST MONKEY IN THE JUNGLE" and instantly received backlash and even having big time sponsors pull out. Is this an over-reaction or did H&M really hurt their brand with this one?

You just lost one of the biggest stars in the world. Probably not much of a loss for H&M, but a loss that will hurt their brand nonetheless.

I know the opinions of famous celebrities and athletes are not held in much regard around here, but despite how you feel about Lebron James, a positive message meant to empower the children is something I can definitely get behind. But was it warranted? Who knows, but I have great respect for Lebron both on and off the court.

Some people may read this and think he is putting blacks on higher pedestal, and knowing P Diddy, you might be right. But I mean it's P Diddy, so this is neither here nor there.

Spot on. Given our current social climate, how any marketing team can look at this photo and not be aware (or were they?) of the repercussions is mind-boggling. The only black kid just happens to be wearing that one sweater. Really H&M? In fairness to H&M, I don't think their intention was racist at all, just incredibly stupid and short-sighted. These types of ads go through multiple people before being finalized and promoted, did nobody pause for a moment and go, "Hey, this doesn't look to right.." ?

Anyone know where can I apply for this job?

Now whether or not this add is racist is up for debate, but I don't think the person who created this sweater had an African boy in mind. So I can't really blame the sweater. So was H&M wrong for this or is society to blame and these are all just knee-jerk reactions to a nothing-burger?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ahh.. didn't see that.

Note to self: Always use search function before posting.

MODS you can close this!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Take this with you before you go...

This ad campaign was a huge success.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You can't help but wonder how this "backlash" made the little dude in the shot feel, who was probably originally quite proud of himself... or the (probably) young female who's now had her career destroyed, simply because just naively thought it'd be a really cute shoot.

Me personally, I would have seen it instantly... a black person being associated with a monkey... nah dude, just don't go there!

But, then doesn't that make me the racist?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No publicity is bad publicity, right?

I could understand a smaller brand going to these types of extremes but a company as big as H&M that clearly doesn't need to? Who knows..

I just think head of marketing aren't the brightest folks.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I saw their claims of innocence; 'how were we supposed to know'? Its their job to know, Infact they knew what a shi(r)t stir this would produce all along.

Plausible Deniability maintained, wha- huh?

Brilliant marketing ploy.

See?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

You can't help but wonder how this "backlash" made the little dude in the shot feel

I can only imagine. But that is also why I am behind Lebron's tweet. However the child was feeling was probably changed dramatically once he saw that tweet.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
LMAO!!! oh wow, such a blunder

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I don't see racism. All young children can appropiately be called monkies.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

or little monsters....

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

or little monsters....

I'm more offended by baby clothes that say stuff like 'Mommy's Little Accident.'

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
i want that sweatshirt

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm with you. I believe true racism can only stem from ones heart. And the only way this is racist, is if the intention was to be racist. But these days almost anything can be racist as long as you perceive it to be. Never mind the intentions, as long as you feel offended, feel free to project whatever you want.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
OP i personally tweeted to diddy saying we are all Gods children and are to get along and care for everyone equally. So you meant to say we are all kings and deserve respect..right diddy?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Well Diddy is one of the most successful, influential and powerful black men in history. So.. take that how you will, because I really don't know.

edit on 9-1-2018 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What if it said, coolest thug on the streets? It's what rap music gets all kids inspired for.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This was just blatantly stupid. An imbecile could of known it was in the poorest of tastes. What other possible message could it of said ?

In a hyper-ultra-sensitive world, it was 'FAIL' from the start. And who would expect otherwise.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wow... the USA has a real hangup about the past. Get over your adult insecurities... children don't have those same insecurities unless we as a society put them there.

I didn't even see the problem until I read a bunch of PC whining and moaning.

All I saw was a cute kid wearing a cool sweater... I want to be the coolest monkey in the jungle!

Why not own it instead of being offended by everything?

ETA: Those that see a persons colour first are the real racists... which currently seems like everyone.
edit on 9-1-2018 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join