It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While you were all focused on BTC

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I have been looking into pretty heavy.

The cheapest I can find any gtx 1060 6gb to buy now is from a Chinese vendor for $400 a piece, which is an inflated price.

There are a lot of videos showing people still have not made a profit mining ethereum because of the start up cost.

I think that ethereum mining, like you said, is for those with already established rigs. Or for people with money to start up huge set ups. Although there are still profitable coins to mine. I was looking into z cash, which for the time being seems a little easier to mine, from what I am reading anyways.

I am kind of looking at it from a different point of view, which in all reality might make little sense. I am thinking about spending a little bit of my tax return to start a two or three card set up, as cheap as possible. $1,200 for three cards and about $300, give or take a few dollars, for computer components. That would be about $1,500 to $1,700 for a simple start up. I watched a video of a guy with a small card setup, miss matched cards, making about, I think it was $10 or so a day in z cash.

Now one could say just put the $1,700 in crypto and try to make money, but I can tell you now that my ole lady is not going to like that one bit. Or put the money in the bank account for future bills. I can tell you for sure that I have three children in my household, and that money will be pecked away for non sense items that the children "have to have". As much as I preach to the other half about saving money for the future, something always comes up to where we have to have this or that.

I think she would go for a small rig set up. She actually got a few apps on her phone to watch litecoin and ethereum.

I work in the construction industry. There are months where work is slow or non existent. I am thinking of these times where $10, more or less, a day just might pay the power bill or the phone bill. Also hoping the alt coin market profit margins rise and hopefully paying the rig off in due time.

Like you though I, am questioning the viability of actually making money these days. But I also think it is pretty awesome and to tell you the truth I kind of need a new hobby. Hobbies generally cost money.

I am racking my brain about it. There are some rinky dink rigs mining and making a few dollars a day.

edit on 14-1-2018 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

The 1060 use to be the budget card.

The 1080 was the high end.

Video card prices are outrageous. That's even if they are in stock. Both Amazon and Newegg are sold out.

I'd been looking on ebay, and the pricing is just as bad.

What ever you do. Get the most memory that your budget will allow.

No less than 8 gb the more the better.

The old addage.

If it sounds to good to be true. It probably is.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
LMAO.

We can pre-program your mining rig, so all you have to do is Plug it in and Turn it on.Send us your Ethereum, Monero, ZCash, Ubiq, Musicoin wallet ID if you wold like us to pre-program miber for you

Ethereum rig

There actually an idiot out there that would do it.

You could build this system and have it up and running for a third of the price.

Add cheaper video cards one at a time when funds allow doubling the hashing power.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I looked at that. If I added two gpu's that would add $800 to the cost already. That would be about $2700. That would be a little bit out of my league at the moment.

I think my brother in law has an old computer that I could have and add 4 g of ram and two gpu's and would save a lot of money.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I was also looking on ebay for an older computer system.

www.nicehash.com...

Been using this to go through GPUS.

edit on 14-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

If i were building a mining rig.

I would not use a 170,270,370 chipset.

I'd go with intels x series chipsets.

Nor would I go with a celeron processor.

You'd want full x16 bandwith, and a processor to make full use of 40+ pcie lanes.

170-370 would be bandwidth bottlenecked.

And be using less than the x8 speed the two cards would function at.

It wouldn't be surprising if those cards are only working at x1 speed.
edit on 14-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I think I'm getting the wife hooked. She downloaded the mobile faucet apps to mine for bitcoin and litecoin. She has to push a button every 30 minutes..lol..

I did the math and if it is true she would earn about $65 for 500,000 satoshis. Lol.. That is a lot of button pushing. But she is doing it. We will see I guess. I'm not doing it..

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
FOMO.

I really wish I had a mining rig.

Couple of them.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
No kidding, right? Just may be another project to do. But I'll see how good this initial investment pans out before I go sinking any more into it.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Probably looking at a 6 month to a year or more before we'd see any really difference.

For those with immediate needs there is a work around.

7700k and two gpus 1070s would get a person about $450 a month.

$50 from the cpu and around $200 from each GPU.

Standard PC basically.

Around a 60 to 90 Day ROI.

edit on 15-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I just checked out EVGA's website.

Completely sold out.

Finding the cards is next to impossible.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
An ROI (Return On Investment, for those not following) of 6 months isn't bad. An ROI of 30 to 90 days though, even better.

It's been years since I cobbled together a PC (just not much need anymore, but when I used to game a lot, hehe...), but maybe it's time to get back into doing so.

I'm all for different streams of income. Without them, never would have kept my house while out of work, etc. Currently, my wife sells Thrive on the side, I do commissioned photo realistic drawings, we both do cakes, and we both do murals a little on the side. In addition, we board horses at our small ranch (about 5 and a half acres). When the kids lived with us (in their 20's), they paid rent, so that was an additional income stream as well.

Have to be diversified, so if something happens, you have other things that can help. Of course, we still both work in the city each weekday too, and drive an hour each way to do it (we carpool together). Luckily, once here in the city, I'm only about 10 minutes up the road from her.

If crypto makes enough to just pay our property taxes, I'll be thrilled beyond words, lol.
edit on 15-1-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

That is exactly what I am thinking. I am currently laid off in the construction field. It is feast or famine. If I can get even a couple of hundred dollars a month in additional revenue it would go a long way.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I think to realize a return though, in crypto, it's probably going to be a matter of sitting on it and waiting. At least 6 months to a year, and even then, I wouldn't want to completely cash out (just take some out as a safety net, and so the amount invested is really all just "found" money.

I'm not really looking into mining yet, as I can't justify HUNDREDS of dollars to invest in it right now. But $20 here, $20 there, in the coming weeks? Yeah, I can do that.

When laid off, it's hard to gamble anything though, so I'd recommend this more for a time with a steady income, just my personal advice there. Meal planning, coupons, sales, getting rid of "luxury" expenses, etc. That's how I saved when out. Cut the cable cord (can get a digital antenna for $10 on Amazon and get 50 channels including networks, clear as a bell)....get a pay as you go phone (Boost mobile has one with unlimited internet and mobile hotspot for $50 a month). These things saved my bacon.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I understand where you are coming from. I havnt had cable or satellite In years. I've had our antenna for about three years and saved a lot of money. The only luxury item we really have is our cell phone package. We took advantage of the sprint unlimited deal they introduced a little while back, 4 lines and unlimited service for $100, plus the half off leases of our phones.

I invested in Ethereum and it has skyrocketed the past few weeks, even though it has been up and down a little bit the past few days, I am still ahead by a margin that is unheard of in any other investment opportunity.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Great! I think it will only go up, and likely soon. Basically, a lot of the exchanges were closed to new accounts, as they had to upgrade to accommodate more volume. That issue seems to be resolved, but it may take a few days for investors to realize it, and get over the fear it caused. I think we're still in for a pretty bumpy week.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Those mining rigs would make great seti and folding at home rigs after their money making days are over.

edit on 15-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Xenogears

I think something like this would better serve the alt-coin miner.

Trying to mine BTC with an RPI cluster, regardless of its size, would be stupid.

Well nicehash paid BTC for mining alts at about a similar rate to that generated by ASICs for the same h/w investment, if you got a good price on the graphics card.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
doublepost
edit on 15-1-2018 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2018 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join