It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Christmas destroyed by consumerism?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Why does anyone even celebrate this absurd holiday you all want change and support such atrocities and even beg for lets all say "merry Christmas" instead of "happy holidays" why ? Christmas is not about family its not about caring its not about anything other then selfish greed just like each and every one of you are consumed by daily even if you say you are not and i care not about my spelling or punctuation this is the #ing internet none of you even touch books i bet you self adsorb ingrates

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Taketwo

Did Santa bring someone coal?

link   

Merry Christmas.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Did Santa bring someone coal?

I wanted coal !
Got socks instead.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Not a very nice way to treat your readers and guests in this thread.

To answer your question in the title, yes. Christmas is nothing more than consumerism wrapped in a pretty bow and religious tradition, tradition that basically glorifies death.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I wanted coal !
Got socks instead.

My aunt got donkey crap once when the family still lived in Italy. We still get traction out of the story every year.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Only in the US do you call it "happy holidays", as if afraid to recognise what it is.

No. Consumerism has not taken over Christmas. Christmas is about family and (if you are a Christian) the symbolism around the birth of Christ. In the Christian tradition there is celebration, feasting and making merry.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
"Communism failed because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Christmas = Consumerism

Halloween, valentines day, thanks giving you name it. If you live in north amarica or europe you live in consumerism.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I bet you're a bundle of fun at parties.
Who am I kidding? Nobody invites a stick in the mud.

Enjoy your misery.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

yup.
Christmas is an extra day off with pay.
it is seeing my daughter happy and excited. seeing her be a kid. believe in the magic of santa.

thats all it was for me when i was a kid.

that is what it is to varying degrees for most people. a reason/excuse to see family.
of course you get the phony religious that have to go to church even though they dont go all year but after that it is family time. people have their traditions.

why # on it?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Greed was renamed Thrift, spirituality was renamed christianity, Christmas was added on over time.

Yes I read books.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taketwo
Why does anyone even celebrate this absurd holiday you all want change and support such atrocities and even beg for lets all say "merry Christmas" instead of "happy holidays" why ? Christmas is not about family its not about caring its not about anything other then selfish greed just like each and every one of you are consumed by daily even if you say you are not and i care not about my spelling or punctuation this is the #ing internet none of you even touch books i bet you self adsorb ingrates

You post this and call us ingrates. This post doesn't sound like its from someone who is grateful. Was nature or circumstance unkind to you in someway? Did you just get dumped? Please tell us in your wisdom to who or to what we all should be grateful to, or for.

If your not a Christian get wasted, if your Muslim have beef, If your Jewish enjoy that Chow Mein with Sweet and Sour Sauce.

edit on 25-12-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Only in the US do you call it "happy holidays", as if afraid to recognise what it is.

No. Consumerism has not taken over Christmas. Christmas is about family and (if you are a Christian) the symbolism around the birth of Christ. In the Christian tradition there is celebration, feasting and making merry.

Wasn´t Jesus born on May, the 25th?
And isn´t it in reality the pagan tradition winter solstice we celebrate and the the christian cult just occupied that time of the year with their own made up story of jesus birthday?

And yes, christmas(as i know it when i was a child) was destroyed by consumerism.
Buy the wrong spyPhone(something cheaper doesn´t work anymore, nowadays) as a gift and you will see how that family member, that you maybe meet one time a year, still "loves you"...

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Watching kids get cool stuff makes it worth it.

My neice got a teepee, it's sick.

I had to build mine out of sticks and a dropcloth.

Lighten up Francis.

The explosion in consumerism is good for the economy in which we all have to live in.

Merry Christmas, don't over-think it dude

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Of course it is about family.Not everyone is Christian. It is for us,a time for families to get together and have a nice loving fun time together.A time to be grateful for what you have.Whether you are religious or not.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He should be careful,maybe Knecht Ruprecht takes him next year,instead of just leaving him some coal

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Was Christmas destroyed by consumerism?

No, Obama destroyed Christmas

Being able to buy stuff and give it away to people that don't want it, is a sanctified right of every American. Praise God and Thank God for Trump enabling us to say Merry Christmas once again.

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

none of you even touch books i bet you self adsorb ingrates

What's a book?

Is that what I use help start fires in the fireplace?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

No, Obama destroyed Christmas

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join