It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Christmas destroyed by consumerism?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Consumerism has not taken over Christmas.

Black Friday and those expensive gifts underneath the tree say otherwise. If a kid wakes up to no presents under the tree they're devastated. It's all about consumerism and materialism, no matter how much Jesus you have in your life.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Know what else ruins Christmas? Rude bitter self-righteous people.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

originally posted by: paraphi
Only in the US do you call it "happy holidays", as if afraid to recognise what it is.

No. Consumerism has not taken over Christmas. Christmas is about family and (if you are a Christian) the symbolism around the birth of Christ. In the Christian tradition there is celebration, feasting and making merry.

Wasn´t Jesus born on May, the 25th?
And isn´t it in reality the pagan tradition winter solstice we celebrate and the the christian cult just occupied that time of the year with their own made up story of jesus birthday?

No, the 25 December date is calculated as exactly 9 months from date when Elizabeth and Mary were both announced as pregnant. We know this date because Zechariah, Elizabeth's husband, had high priestly duties in the Temple and this only occurred at a set date each year.

The May 25th date is based upon several invalid assumptions (such as that it would be too cold for shepherds to be watching their sheep. The reality is that though temperatures would drop below freezing, the sheep still need food all year round. You can't store them in a barn for a few cold months. They are covered with wool and don't mind the cold).

The internet meme that Christmas came from pagan roots is invalid. The winter solstice usually will fall on, or near, the 21st December and is over by the 25th. Similarly, Pagan festivals based upon the solstice, such as Yule, Midwinter and The Longest Night, are over before the 25th.

The Roman Sol Invictus was celebrated on the 25th, but as this was a pagan practice birthed by Emperor Aurelian more than 275 years after Christianity, it is actually that this was a pagan festival instigated as a corruption of the Christian festival, rather than the other way around.

And yes, christmas(as i know it when i was a child) was destroyed by consumerism.
Buy the wrong spyPhone(something cheaper doesn´t work anymore, nowadays) as a gift and you will see how that family member, that you maybe meet one time a year, still "loves you"...

If you didn't celebrate Jesus birthday in a church, then you celebrated something other than Christmas (the word comes from "Christ" and "mass" in Old English. I.e: a church 'mass' for Christ).

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Politics destroyed christmas.

I guess it's just too much to ask for one day of the year.

We could have peace on earth and good will towards men.

Just ONE day.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
To answer the title. Only if you let it.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Taketwo

No it has not and Yes it has, Christmas is supposed to be a time of good will and peace, a time to be thankful for the season of God's Grace and mercy which has come to us through the birth of his only begotten son through the Virgin Mary.

But Christmas is not gone.

It is not so much consumerism as the fact people have forgotten Family, Forgiveness, A New Start and Peace on earth and good will to all men.

And they have replaced it with "got to save up to give the fruit's of my hard work to those ultra corporations for there over priced trinket's and pretend I like that new pair of sock's I always get".

The fact is that you are here, You have a chance to make a better world if not for everyone then at least for those you love and to forgive those you do not, to start new as Christ gave us all the chance to do, Peace on earth and Good will to all men.

Christmas is also a sad time, many have no one to turn too, many have become isolated or isolate themselves and suffer depression beyond all human tolerance.

But it is still a time of hope and a time of love, a time for forgiveness and a time to reunite for most of us.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

And a happy festivus to you too.........

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

Merry Christmas.

That's right. I gave up on Christmas as a kid, when my dad and uncle charlie got drunk, started fighting and destroyed the xmas tree, kids and women screaming and cryin, crushed all the gifts and eventually got hauled off to jail by the sheriff. This was a regular occurrence.

Christmas on those cold windblown plains in the Texas panhandle, fueled by cheap whisky and dysfunctional families leaves precious few pleasant memories to be remembered.

This year blessed to be working on location.
edit on 25-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: KansasGirl

Merry Christmas.

That's right. I gave up on Christmas as a kid, when my dad and uncle charlie got drunk, started fighting and destroyed the xmas tree, kids and women screaming and cryin, crushed all the gifts and eventually got hauled off to jail by the sheriff. This was a regular occurrence.

Christmas on those cold windblown plains in the Texas panhandle, fueled by cheap whisky and dysfunctional families leaves precious few pleasant memories to be remembered.

This year blessed to be working on location.

That is so full of narrative and imagery that it reads like the start of a film about someone who eventually learns to enjoy and appreciate the season. I didn't enjoy Christmas at all after a certain age for various family reasons, but thanks in no small part to Mrs C R, I now cherish this time of year. I hope that you can as well.

If I'm rostered for time off on Christmas Day and Boxing Day I'll take it, but I never book leave. What's the point in taking leave when everybody else has buggered off and it's really quiet. If I'm at work I go to the Gym, use the pool and watch movies etc etc. it's like being paid to spend Christmas at the Country Club.

Best seasonal wishes to you.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I don’t know what all of you are worried about, I’m having a great time. My family is getting together right now listening to traditional Christmas music and we are about to have an early dinner.
edit on 25pmMon, 25 Dec 2017 15:40:29 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Christmas music destroyed Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Christmas music destroyed Christmas.

... or did Christmas music destroy the Christmas musicians?

Perhaps we will never know?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I just spent 14 hours at work looking after people with learning disabilities and it has been the best day so much love from all.
Knackered but blimey loved the day.
I suggest doing something for the less fortunate..be the change you want for Xmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

That is so full of narrative and imagery that it reads like the start of a film about someone who eventually learns to enjoy and appreciate the season

Thanks!!

You are very perceptive. I am a screen writer/filmmaker and write in the manner I was taught in film school; However I left out the part about dad and charlie getting bailed out and their sad pathetic attempt at trying to restore peace and the xmas spirit in the family. Actually It wasn't the chaos that soured me on xmas but the aftermath of watching alcoholics trying to
explain and rationalize. I told myself that I would never be a drunk and steal the happiness from my family. It didn't work out the way I planned and left enough wreckage in my life thru drug and alcohol abuse to write the white trash film epic. If you have a story to tell, I'd like to hear it. I use this....

www.celtx.com...

btw, I'm not a total cynic and love to see others enjoying themselves, anywhere, anytime....and I personally am totally in love with and obsessed with storytelling thru visual media as an actor and producer.
edit on 25-12-2017 by olaru12 because: brenda...text msg

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

It can be a hard time can Christmas and really hit you when you aint expecting it. Heres hoping for better for the new year eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Your own story sounds like one that is worth telling through the visual media. Have you any plans along those lines?
a reply to: olaru12

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Your own story sounds like one that is worth telling through the visual media. Have you any plans along those lines?

In progress....

Currently working on projects written by other film makers here in Tamalewood; features, shorts, commercials and TV. On set now working thru the Holidays. Blessed!!

www.denverpost.com...

www.sagaftra.org... www.iatselocal480.com... Union proud!!

edit on 25-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

We need to put Santa back into Christmas. It's about the children!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

o: "That's right. I gave up on Christmas as a kid, when my dad and uncle charlie got drunk, started fighting and destroyed the xmas tree, kids and women screaming and cryin, crushed all the gifts and eventually got hauled off to jail by the sheriff. This was a regular occurrence. "

Holy s*.. now thats real!

Merry Xmas to you!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Oooh, lookie, somebody's trying to look like a big s# on Christmas by being rude! Cool beans, I can do that, too < cracks knuckles & starts typing >

originally posted by: Taketwo
Why does anyone even celebrate this absurd holiday

Because giving people you care about a few gifts you spent a good deal of time & effort making or finding brings people joy, you miserable, empty whine-ass.

you all want change and support such atrocities and even beg for lets all say "merry Christmas" instead of "happy holidays" why ?

Because Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated between Halloween & New Years, you dense s#. Happy holidays, BTW -- I don't know if you're Jewish, or Christian, or Santa secular, or just do Festivus.

Christmas is not about family its not about caring

Maybe not in your family. Must suck to be the one nobody wants to invite over anymore. That makes YOU the toxic relative, bub.

its not about anything other then selfish greed just like each and every one of you are consumed by daily even if you say you are not

Project much, Greedy McWantsalot? I asked for nothing because I neither need nor want anything, and received nothing other than hand-made cards from my kids. One's a budding artist, so her artwork is like getting a Louvre gallery all to myself. That's worth more than the peeling paint on your apartment's walls, amirite?

and i care not about my spelling or punctuation this is the #ing internet

True dat. Use it to find a therapist so you can learn to deal with your issues. MAYBE you'll come out of it a nicer person next Christmas and not be alone for it.

none of you even touch books i bet you self adsorb ingrates

My barrister bookcase begs to differ! Actually, no it doesn't, because it doesn't care what a lonely grinch thinks.
edit on 12/25/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join