It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite Dangerous players , is it any good ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It's Steam sale time and Elite Dangerous is on offer for just £5 , it seems like a bargain so I'll probably buy it out of curiosity but before I commit I'd like to ask if there are any players here and what your thoughts on the game are
I was a space shooter fan years ago and sank a lot of time into Freelancer and X3 but haven't played one for years , perhaps now is a good time to head back out to the great unknown and put my trading hat back on.

So my questions for you are is it any good and do I need a flight stick to get the best out of it ?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I got the game, only tried it a few times. I will have to revisit it in the next few days. Just get it if it cheap.
Also free Christmas game you need to find in the steam store is "Long Live Santa"

I picked up for like $2.50 a mostly negative game called "Zombies on a Plane" its actually quite fun.

~Morpheus

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Elite dangerous is a marvelous game.
If you ever played the original years ago, i found docking to be a right royal pain in the ass. Saving for a docking computer was a must. but ..... If your pc is up too it, and your pockets deep enough, VR makes the docking procedure easy peasy.

Defintely need a HOTAS for it.

The 'Voice Attack' software (£8.99) is also worth considering allowing you to voice control your ship. (you can also buy Voice Packs for the software, which enables a 'talking ship', think Holly from Red Dwarf. Voices include William Shatner and Tom Baker to name a couple)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark42

Defintely need a HOTAS for it.

Not sure I want to fork out for another controller but perhaps the game will convince me to dive in.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

For a fiver you can't go wrong. I paid 25 quid but I am also a fan. As the member above stated, you NEED a HOTAS. You cannot fly Elite with a keyboard and mouse. It's a slow and gentle experience on the whole but expect to lose much time while playing. It's come a long way since the 1984 version I played on the C64. (It was also available for the BBC Micro and possibly the Sinclair Spectrum.)

Simple, addictive and engrossing. Trader, miner, pirate, all are welcome.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Use an xbox gamepad and that is all you need.

It is the best game ever in the history of games.

Be aware, Elite dangerous without the Horizons expansion...maybe not.

edit on 24-12-2017 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I bought this game for Xbox One, it is good. My favorite game in the genre is Wing Commander: Privateer.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I liked it for a while, just got way to grindy for me. Plus, some missions will have you flying for quite a long time with literally nothing to do. Good if you can have a TV on next to the game. Lots of take this here take that there. Mining is boring as watching paint dry. As is trading to me. Bounty hunting is moderately enjoyable, but if you want the top ships, it takes forever. Never played multi, only single player.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I got mine from gumtree,com. Second hand. I don't like spending money.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I have it and enjoy it a lot. I played the original game back in 1992.

Be warned however, get the expansion pack, as it allows you to actually land on planets and explore them. It also gives you access to engineers who with the right materials can upgrade your ships better than anything else you can buy at star ports.

Also: This isn't Eve Online. Don't expect a market controlled by players, or being able to set up a POS (player owned station), or any of that stuff. Some people find it boring because of that.

However, it does allow a lot of exploring. The whole galaxy in the game has only less that 1 percent being explored. I have several systems with my name on them as no one else had explored them yet, or bothered to turn it in.

You can mine, rather involved process compared to Eve, but can be satisfying.

Trading, hauling cargo is there, but again, the market is controlled by the game so you may not find it as exciting as games where players do influence the market.

Then there is the mission running for different factions and of course PVP.

Is it worth paying 5 pounds for? Sure, considering I bought the game without the expansion for $29.00 several months ago. I've had a blast with it.

ETA - Just noticed they have the Horizons DLC on sale at 50% off, so only $15.00. If it's still that low come payday, I'll finally upgrade, hehehe.

edit on 12/24/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
i agree with eriktheawful's explanation. i own the game and enjoy it mostly with vr which its fantastic with. for a few bucks id say its worth it if your into a casual jaunt through a beautiful galaxy.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys , so the best bet is to get the Horizons expansion and a gamepad to fly the thing.
More than the initial £5 I was expecting but hey in for a penny .....

a reply to: TheScale
VR is definitely on the agenda as I'm a sim racer so this will be another game I can use the Oculus on

Merry Christmas all.

edit on 25-12-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Thanks for the replies guys , so the best bet is to get the Horizons expansion and a gamepad to fly the thing.
More than the initial £5 I was expecting but hey in for a penny .....

a reply to: TheScale
VR is definitely on the agenda as I'm a sim racer so this will be another game I can use the Oculus on

Merry Christmas all.

yeah a controller will be needed but it has a fantastic integration with the game and is one of the few games where im not wanting for more buttons to map actions to.
i love sim racing aswell. so many tough choices atm. gt3's in raceroom, formula e in rf2, dlc in pcars2, new free pack with assetto corsa. so many new cars and so little time

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Got the game , got the expansion , got the joypad .... Now all I need is the skill.
Just spent the last 30 minutes bouncing my ship off a space station trying to dock , this may take a while.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
CMDR Gorteximo Reporting.
Got the skill , well some of it , and am now familiar with piloting and landing my ship , am no longer bouncing off space stations , collected a few bounties and ran a few deliver / collect missions and now I'm the proud owner of a Viper MkIII , I know it's not much but it's mine

Salute to other Commanders out there.
Gorteximo out.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
CMDR anniversary Log.

One month touring the Galaxy and things are going well , now piloting a tricked out Cobra MkIII and sitting on 3 million lovely credits mostly made from running freight and collecting a few scalps , looking forward to the first "Beyond" update due for release on the day of my anniversary.

As a space nut I think it's the best 15 quid I've spent.

CMDR Gorteximo out.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I keep meaning to actually play this. I have it installed and everything, but when I get to needing to create an account.. I tell myself ill do it a bit later.

I think it'd be really neat with VR.

Would very slow internet and massive lag (1k+ ping, at best) still be playable?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

If you have it installed just register it and find out , there is a solo play option.
The new content drops on the 26th which among other stuff improves the look of planets so I guess now is a good time to check it out.

top topics

join