It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newest Mandela Effect - Uncle Sam's Hat - Plenty of Reality Residue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Picture Uncle Sam. How do you remember the design of his hat? Most people will recall vertical red and white stripes on the main body of the hat, giving the entire hat a "flag-like" appearance, with the white stars on a blue background at the base. And this is what we see with countless representations of the hat in costumes, cartoons, action figures, and so forth:

But the problem is that the hat of the "official" Uncle Sam that we all know and love has never had the red and white vertical stripes. His hat has, in fact, "always" had an all-white main body, as seen here:

Now, as stated in the thread title, this is a Mandela Effect that appears to be "hot off the press." Brand new. So the questions are, what will happen with all of the "reality residue" we see above? Is it just lagging behind, and will soon "change" to match the official rendering? Or could it be that when we catch one early, it "locks in" the residue to where it cannot change?

And of course, we know the skeptics will chime in with many creative and condescending dismissals of this. It is interesting to see what explanations they will offer!

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TombEscaper

Or maybe Uncle Sam has more than one hat?

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
the vintage posters are as i remember them, and the party city costume hats are more flashy because they're a modern costume.

did i miss something, is there some law that they have to stay the same as the original representation? because all those new marvel movies are WAY off the originals and i'm pretty sure that's not a mandela effect either.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I can't believe you didn't notice that the first two Uncle Sam fakers are clean shaven, while the third and fourth have a full beard.

In the alternate universe, Uncle Sam has always had 'burns and a goat.

Hell, in this one they even had the audacity to remove his hat entirely and put stars on his lapels. The nerve!

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I don't think you quite understand how ME is suppose to work.

For it to be a "ME" thing, it has to be something that you and others remember being different, with no evidence to support your claim.

For instance: claiming that Uncle Sam's hat in the vintage posters was a red base with the blue and white stars and stripes.

Showing variations of Uncle Sam and his hat is not a Mandela Effect. It's simply variations of a icon that has changed over the years.

Another "ME" like claim would be if you said that it was never "Uncle Sam" but instead was "Uncle Steve", with nothing to back up your claims.

Also: yes, again, things that are drawn or iconic change. Take a look at how Bugs Bunny was originally drawn compared to now. Look at the very first images of Elmer Fudd (hint: he was drawn as a very fat man at first) compared to now.

Look at how Snoopy was originally drawn, and how he is displayed now.

Even Opus the Penguin has changed since he was first drawn.

edit on 12/16/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

it is forbidden to wear the american flag as a garment, frowned upon, that part of flag code goes way back so sam was never meant to look like he was wearing the flag for that reason, to not disrespect it. clothes get soiled, the flag is not to be soiled.

the adoption of a version of uncle sam with him wearing the flag as garments is a more modern thing and it has always been seen as disrespectfull to those who know flag code.

people who adorn the flag as garments in any fashion disrespect the flag, by majority its done out of ignorance, but it got its start in culture as intentional disrespect. think Larry Flynt and his US flag diaper i.imgur.com...
www.upi.com...
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 16-12-2017 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2017 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

I don't think you quite understand how ME is suppose to work.

For it to be a "ME" thing, it has to be something that you and others remember being different, with no evidence to support your claim.

Not sure how you would conclude this. I've been studying the phenomenon since Feb. of '15, and reality residue has always been a crucial element of it.

The fact is, people recall the official depiction of Uncle Sam portraying the striped hat, but now all official depictions to be found feature the all-white version. This does not corroborate with an evolving design over the years, but with the characteristics of the ME phenomenon.
edit on 16-12-2017 by TombEscaper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

fiverx313

NobodiesNormal

See the last reply that eliminates the notion of a "design change."
edit on 16-12-2017 by TombEscaper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Since Feb. 15th you say?

I've been reading Mandela Effect threads here on ATS for years.

Again: ME is about people remembering something with absolutely NO evidence to back it up. Like New Zealand not being in the right place. Human's hearts being in the wrong place.

Not Uncle Sam's hat used to be drawn differently many decades ago, a fact that you easily proved by posting images of posters with his hat drawn differently, and people are used to seeing it drawn differently today.

Again: That's not ME.

ME is if you'd claim that Uncle Sam is suppose to have black hair and always has.

Plenty of people, like me, remember the posters of Uncle Sam's original hat. ME would be if hardly any of us remember it drawn that way.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

recall the official depiction of Uncle Sam

'Kay lets start with that: where's your source about what Uncle Sam officially looks like? As in not an artist's rendition of Uncle Sam, but the official "this is what Uncle Sam is supposed to look like" definition?

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Well, I don't know what to tell you. If you're not familiar with the reality residue aspect of the ME phenomenon, or don't understand how it's involved in it, you're excluding yourself from further understanding of the situation.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

recall the official depiction of Uncle Sam

'Kay lets start with that: where's your source about what Uncle Sam officially looks like? As in not an artist's rendition of Uncle Sam, but the official "this is what Uncle Sam is supposed to look like" definition?

The "official" depiction would be the ingrained image in one's perception. For one to have a recollection of the striped hat, and no recollection at all of the white-bodied hat, would render the striped version the accepted official depiction. The ME experiencer would thus say that the white version is from a foreign reality. The countless depictions of the striped hat in costumes and so forth would qualify as "reality residue." As in, where did the notion of stripes come from if the original official depiction featured none?

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

So...however one remembers something is now the official way of remembering it?

The ME experiencer would thus say that the white version is from a foreign reality.

Of course you would, because it couldn't possibly be something as simple as a costume designer did one thing and an artist did something else.

As in, where did the notion of stripes come from if the original official depiction featured none?

The same place that the notion of some hats having broad stripes while others had narrow stripes while others are white, some coats have striped lapels while others have stars while still others have striped lapels and cuffs, which is the same place that the notion that some pants have broad stripes while others have pinstripes.

A costume designers head

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
The same place that the notion of some hats having broad stripes while others had narrow stripes while others are white, some coats have striped lapels while others have stars while still others have striped lapels and cuffs, which is the same place that the notion that some pants have broad stripes while others have pinstripes.

some hats have red brims, and some have white brims...

the answer is clear... we're looking at more than one universe that's been recombinated into this current mandela-effected universe. maybe dozens.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TombEscaper
And of course, we know the skeptics will chime in with many creative and condescending dismissals of this. It is interesting to see what explanations they will offer!

Shouldn't any explanation be explored?

If you start off with the assumption that those who disagree with you are creative and condescending then doesn't that limit your ability to investigate the issue?

But my creative answer is still Mandolia.
Mandolia (man-DOH-lee-a) is a psychological phenomenon involving a stimulus wherein the mind assumes an error where none exists. This results in the mind correcting this "error" and adapting memories to accommodate the unwarranted correction.

As for being condescending...
You have offered no explanations, all you have done is brought up holes in the Mandela Effect and tried to explain it away with reality changes possibly being dependent on when we catch them. It's a creative yet circular way to explain the lack of evidence.

But the question you raise is a serious question.

Mr Berenstain never spelled his name differently.
Mandela's prison warden doesn't remember him dying.
Heart surgeon's don't remember the heart moving.

Why is that?

It seems the less you need to know about something the more your chances of remembering incorrectly.

Funny that.
edit on 16-12-2017 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

"reality residue" is techno babble about online with what a scifi writer does to make something up.

It's like me saying "Flux Capacitor", two valid words, but not valid together and is something made up.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

So if I'm an artist and I decide to add my own touch to an old iconic image in a costume or image I'm designing, I'm causing a ME?

You don't see the problem in that?

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Every decision you make creates a new universe.

I hear tell.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Why stop at the hat? The jacket and vest also have variations in stripes, solids, stars over the years, including the photos in the OP. Is it all residual reality?

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TombEscaper
Picture Uncle Sam. How do you remember the design of his hat? Most people will recall vertical red and white stripes on the main body of the hat, giving the entire hat a "flag-like" appearance, with the white stars on a blue background at the base. And this is what we see with countless representations of the hat in costumes, cartoons, action figures, and so forth:

But the problem is that the hat of the "official" Uncle Sam that we all know and love has never had the red and white vertical stripes. His hat has, in fact, "always" had an all-white main body, as seen here:

Now, as stated in the thread title, this is a Mandela Effect that appears to be "hot off the press." Brand new. So the questions are, what will happen with all of the "reality residue" we see above? Is it just lagging behind, and will soon "change" to match the official rendering? Or could it be that when we catch one early, it "locks in" the residue to where it cannot change?

I'm not American but I remember the white one on the old posters. I've seen the flag one bedore but I always thought it was done to make it more cartoony and American in parody.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join