It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandolia Effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Mandolia (man-DOH-lee-a) is a psychological phenomenon involving a stimulus wherin the mind assumes an error where none exists.
This results in the mind correcting this "error" and adapting memories to accommodate the unwarranted correction.

Common examples can include Berenstein/*Berenstain Bears, Looney *Tunes/Toons, Fruit/*Froot Loops.
*correct

Whilst this is most obvious in spelling this effect can also be applied to a variety of stimulus.

Correcting the JFK car to a regular 4 seater instead of the extremely rare 6 seater that was used.
Correcting Forrest Gump's quoting. His mother actually said "Life is like a box of chocolates" not "was" as Forrest claims.

There is a multitude of circumstances this can be applied and just shows that however smart we think we are, there is a lot of our own thinking that we are unaware of.

Mandolia is not to be confused with a regular false or faulty memory. To illustrate this look at the phone number 123-4568.
If you remember this number as 122-4568 that's faulty memory, if you remember this number as 123-4567 you have corrected this number due to the assumption that 123456 should always be followed by 7 and have displayed an example of Mandolia.

For other examples of similar psychological phenomena please see Pareidolia, Kappa Effect, Phi Phenomenon.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

you're kidding..

well done, to give it a name like that. That was funny. Thank you. Like your sense of humor and irony.

The Mandolia Effect! LOL!

You can even Google it and it appears, right at the top of the front page, at a website called "Above Top Secret" so it must be true.

Thank you for bringing this to light. Very important.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The Mandolia Effect.

Now this I've experienced.

I think you're onto something OP!

Good thread, thank you.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Fair paly. I'm iffy with ME as it is, though it interest me.

What reason would people have to correct stein to stain though?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
When I read the thread title my brain auto-corrected Mandolia to Mandela.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork
You can even Google it and it appears, right at the top of the front page, at a website called "Above Top Secret" so it must be true.

I had to create a new term to avoid confusion.
It's truth can be verified by looking at the details, I'm happy to have it proven wrong if you disagree.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy

Just off the top of your head think of some names ending in stain.
Now think of some names that end in stein.

Which was easier?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
Fair paly. I'm iffy with ME as it is, though it interest me.

No reason.

Just the phenomenon explained right there in the op.

No reason.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
In my reality it was always the Mandelia affect.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

OP stated

"This results in the mind correcting this "error" and adapting memories to accommodate the unwarranted correction. "

there was no error to correct? so what would be the purpose of this "change" or "error" in memory?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
So the Mandolin Effect is the time change or the memory change part?

Or was it Manfred Mann Effect...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Actually the Manfred Mann effect is when you hear a song that you are sure you have heard before, but you remember it originally being a little edgier and less "pop" sounding. The exception to this effect is Do Wah Diddy Diddy which was made great by the movie Stripes, and is an example of the Murray Effect.
edit on 15-9-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I thinks it's because "stein" is far more common in last names than "stain"

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Amazing!

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

NO. It is called the Medulla Effect.

It's an automatic reflex where sufferers feel the need to constantly, repeatedly criticize and insult people with different ideas and beliefs than their own.

I would get that checked.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Confabulation:

In psychiatry, confabulation (verb: confabulate) is a disturbance of memory, defined as the production of fabricated, distorted or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive.[1] Individuals who confabulate present incorrect memories ranging from "subtle alterations to bizarre fabrications",[2] and are generally very confident about their recollections, despite contradictory evidence.

How Confabulation is to the "Mandela Effect"

Confabulatin - Mandela Effect

An internet meme related to confabulation is known as the Mandela Effect. This is a situation where a number of people have memories that are different from available evidence. The term was coined by paranormal enthusiast Fiona Broome, who says she and other people remember Nelson Mandela dying in the 1980s, rather than in 2013.[61][62] She argues that common memories which appear mistaken could be explained by the existence of parallel universes that are able to interact with each other.

Also, you can read about it on Snopes (the internet site that everyone seems to use to prove something that is false or misleading):

Mandela Effect - Snopes

As you can see: there is already a term for exactly what you tried to describe in your OP. It's called Confabulation and is an actual real term used.

Note that Confabulation does not require one to have come from or interacted with a parallel universe. Where as the person who originally coined the phrase "Mandela Effect" did make it as such.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
NO. It is called the Medulla Effect.

It's an automatic reflex where sufferers feel the need to constantly, repeatedly criticize and insult people with different ideas and beliefs than their own.

I would get that checked.

You should accuse me of insulting people in threads where I do that. Otherwise you just come off as insulting (not that I mind).

As for criticizing ideas? That's important which is why i made this thread. I put this out to be criticised.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity
Thanks for that.
Good info however I would dispute that Confabulation and Mandolia are exactly the same.

I would say the Mandolia leads to confabulation. Much like preconceived notions lead to confabulation or brainwashing leads to confabulation or brain damage leads to confabulation.

I think my explanation has more explanatory power for these specific instances as it gives you something to look for and actually test. (Of course I would say that tho)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The differences between Confabulation and the Mandela Effect is:

Confabulation is grounded in actual science, and tested experiments of those dealing in that field, where as the Mandela Effect is a highly speculative subject that has absolutely not basis for testing it at all.

Making up a term to fit a highly speculative idea that relies completely and only one what a person said, would be like taking the reason a plane broke up in mid flight and deciding that instead of it breaking apart due to structural stress it was instead caused by gremlins.

One, the structural stress is based upon structural engineering of the plane, and understanding many things about it due to actually being able to test parts of the plane and how they act, react and perform under various conditions.

The other, gremlins, is based on only eye witness accounts stated by a human, with no actual record, data, or information obtained by something other than a human being (IE no cameras, etc).

Many people in the past came up with highly speculative ideas which there was no way to test for them, however over time there were ways to test for them through various advances in both knowledge and technology, which allowed for that testing of those ideas. Some became fact, others still theories, but with supporting evidence.

A human simply declaring something, is not enough. Newton didn't just declare that two bodies of mass can attract each other, he had to prove it with math. The Wright brothers didn't just say that people could fly using powered flight, they build a plane and proved it.

Parallel universes are not a proven thing, they are a theoretical application of quantum physics, that is still to this day debated. It's possible that one day it will be "proven", however, even then proof of it existing is not proof of interaction of any kind (unless of course the way it's prove is by interaction...but that interaction has to be something that can be recorded as reliable data points.....which is not human testimony).

A person comes to me and says: An apple fell from a tree and hit me on the head.

That's nice. It's a great story, and that is all it is at that point: a story.

If, on the other hand, they hand me the apple (which shows bruising from being hit), and a lump on their head where the apple it, then it goes from being a good story to: a plausible theory.

If they instead not only show me that, but then break out a video that recorded them being hit on the head by an apple, it goes from being just a good story to a undeniable fact....(unless some CGI was used, but that's another can of worms).

This is how science works. Science is very unforgiving and can be a vicious jerk. But it's very good and helping prove or disprove things.

People used to think that Venus was most likely a tropical type of world, covered with rain forests most likely. Later, we found out that Venus is a hellesh world with temps climbing to over 900 deg F, with an atmosphere that can not only can't be breathed, but will crush you into the size of a soccer ball.

In order to go from just a speculative idea (which is nothing more than a story), it has to go through a very heavy process of gathering evidence, gaining acceptance, and if possible, proven though many actual experiments that are published and can be repeated by other people with the same results. That's how science works.

It doesn't work just because someone said it does, and makes the evidence try to fit the idea. That's horrible science, that fails every time.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerminalVelocity
Making up a term to fit a highly speculative idea that relies completely and only one what a person said, would be like taking the reason a plane broke up in mid flight and deciding that instead of it breaking apart due to structural stress it was instead caused by gremlins.

Structural Stress is a vague answer.
Gremlins caused the structural stress is more specific, but wrong.
Turbulence caused the structural stress is more likely.

I see the similarities as..

Confabulation is a vague answer.
Different dimensions ala Mandela Effect caused the confabulation is more specific, but wrong.
Mandolia (a term I had to create to avoid people thinking I believe in gremlins) caused the confabulation is more likely.

I'm just trying for a clearer answer that someone can't refute, and that shows rules that can be seen in many instances and tested.

edit on 15-9-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join