It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Voter ID Laws Racist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Admittedly this isn't exactly a new take on the topic, but I found it just so ironic and funny. I honestly feel embarrassed for the uninformed white kids featured in this video. Truth be told, I'm sure there are black folks out there who agree with the white people featured. I personally don't know any. I served with a lot of black folks and whenever this topic came up when we were just hanging out bs'ing I don't recall one of them ever thinking voter ID laws were racist. The top comment on the video for me was from a user named Biggest Mikey, who calls it "the soft bigotry of low expectations". I really don't have anything to add to that.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Hmm. Lets see....

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

its racist because minorities cant get ids.

how or why, i will never understand

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The column on the right would seem to be in regard to a right. The others, not so much.

Requiring an ID to vote is not racist in itself, but it certainly would affect some citizens more than others.

edit on 11/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Too dam lazy to go get a free state id. shoot they will mail you one if you ask.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Dont have a right to buy a house? Get married? Get a job?

It doesn't even get into job stuff like being a barber.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Almost everyone knows that this is a sad joke. It is only racist because it will make it more difficult for Demorats to win elections in certain areas of the country because it makes fraud more difficult.

I had a so called fiscal conservative pal of mine agree it was racist once telling me, "well poor people may not be able to afford to buy one." I said, "they have to have one for food stamps anyway you know?" He says, "no they don't."

I just stopped talking about it then and there. Mainly because I didn't want to go into how I applied for food stamps after my first divorce....and also because he was wrong and didn't care so much about it, just wanted to go along with the nonsense that his pals say - he is in the entertainment biz.

link   

originally posted by: Phage

The column on the right would seem to be in regard to a right. The others, not so much.

Requiring an ID to vote is not racist in itself, but it certainly would affect some citizens more than others.

not so fast. missed the buying/owning a gun part eh

link   

Purchasing a gun would fall into the category of a right.
Yuppa beat me to it.

edit on b000000302017-11-19T14:19:46-06:0002America/ChicagoSun, 19 Nov 2017 14:19:46 -0600200000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   

Republicans will say no and Democrats will say yes.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Actually, we all have an equal right to apply for government benefits regardless of race. I see a number of applications for government benefits in the list that require ID.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Dont have a right to buy a house? Get married? Get a job?

No right to buy a house.
No right to get a job.

I don't actually recall having to show my ID when I got married. That was a long time ago though.

The thing is, the "ID to vote" thing is about showing ID at the polling place. You do have to prove you are who you say you are when you register to vote.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Because of this reason a voter id law can be USED by racist law makers to stop minorities from voting.
My thoughts on why they don't get them are ether they don't have the money and time to get one, They just don't care or that it's cool not to have one. Some may even believe that it's honorable or that they are more of a man if they are not a part of the governments control grid. It could also be a simple as culture. Having an id is just not something one does in their culture.

I have no idea. Any minority ats members want to educate us on why having to have an id will STOP you from voting?
Is it true that most minorities don't have ids?
I had to show my drivers license (id) here in florida when I voted. Do a bunch of minorities lack a drivers license?

Edit: By the way that video you posted was obviously edited by the makers to only show the dumb ass things that the white people said.
edit on 19-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Actually, we all have an equal right to apply for government benefits regardless of race.
You mean like registering to vote?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Actually, we all have an equal right to apply for government benefits regardless of race.
You mean like registering to vote?

You can register to vote by mail in some states, like California, without an ID, or SS#. In California, they will then assign a voter registration number and mail you a Voter Notification Card.

Then you can use your Voter Notification Card as ID when you go to the polls to vote for the first time.

All without ever showing any proof of identification, at all.

ETA: Actually you can register to vote in every state without a state issued ID or DL and without a SS#, pursuant to the Help America Vote Act.

edit on 11/19/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

its laziness. all states can issue 1 free id card for programs and id.they mail them too. ya just have to call or write to them

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Voter registration lists are publicly available.

If you want, you can look them up for specific precincts.

On election day, you can show up at the polling place and tell them that you are a specific person and scrawl a signature on a line... then you go vote in place of that person.
This is how it wotks in Pennsylvania now.

This is why you should be required to prove who you are when you vote by showing a valid ID.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Hmm. Lets see....

Gee... I wonder why.

It even more hilarious when you realize countries like Canada, India and even Nigeria have stricter voter ID laws than the US.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It's more racist to assume a minority can't get an ID card because of (insert weird reason).

Black folks are just as able as white folks. Especially if there's a house address of sorts, or a post office box.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

In California, they will then assign a voter registration number and mail you a Voter Notification Card.
Or not. You seem to assume that if someone cannot be verified they will automatically be registered.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join