It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Voter ID Laws Racist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Its mandatory in canada to have a photo ID to vote, each province has a government ID which cost around 20 dollars and is good for 5 to 6 years.

Im all for the rule, asking people to get an iD to vote is not racist.

The only issue is not alot of smaller towns have government offices, so it can be a pain in the ass to get one.

So again its not racist but annoying to get.
If it costs money to get a required ID to vote then it is considered a poll tax which is unconstitutional (see 24th amendment) and has historically been racist.

However requiring ID to vote does not guarantee against voter fraud.
Pennsylvania finds 544 possibly illegal ballots since 2000
edit on 11/19/2017 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

You should have an ID anyways. Unless you're mentally retarded.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The same people that think ID's for voting (a right) is wrong also think that people who want to buy a gun should be profiled, ID'd, CHIP'd, and tested 6 ways to Sunday.

edit on 19-11-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You should have an ID anyways. Unless you're mentally retarded.

But this isn't about me, is it?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The same people that think ID's for voting (a right) also think that people who want to buy a gun should be profiled, ID'd, CHIP'd, and tested 6 ways to Sunday.

Could you make a reasonable argument where purchasing a gun is protected under the 2nd amendment?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Sure.

It's in the Bill of Rights.

It's actually the second amendment.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Sure.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
"Keep and bear" do not mean purchase. Do you need ID to "keep and Bear" arms? Show where the 2nd guarantees one's right to purchase a gun.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

Sure.

"Keep and bear" do not mean purchase. Do you need ID to "keep and Bear" arms? Show where the 2nd guarantees one's right to purchase a gun.

*sigh*

I did.

If you're too stupid to understand then it's not on me to provide lessons.

I take it you're against voter ID laws as well but have no problem with FOID's.

Voting and owning a firearm are both rights, yet asking for ID in one right is racist while the other one isn't.

Maybe you can get some crayons and draw a picture that would explain your argument better.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
a reply to: rickymouse

My parents got things for years finally my sister changed the address to the town hall and let them deal with it. That's where they were buried anyway.

So, the people at the town Hall got to vote for them then.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well, technically they call a run for a political position a race. So basically your voting on a race, so voting is racist whether you need an ID or not.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Sure.

*sigh*

I did.

Voting and owning a firearm are both rights, yet asking for ID in one right is racist while the other one isn't.

Maybe you can get some crayons and draw a picture that would explain your argument better.
I'm not stupid but maybe a little naive since I did trust that you understood the difference between the words "own" and "purchase". I'll ask the question again. Do you need ID to "own or bear" arms because I don't? If that is the case then it should be considered unconstitutional and should be challenged.

I am not against voter ID laws so long as they remain constitutional. Poll taxes have been ruled unconstitutional and this is where the 24th amendment comes in. To require ID to vote could be considered a poll tax if the ID costs money. It's not really that difficult to understand. No Crayons necessary, even you should get it.

Is voter fraud a real problem that has in any way effected any elections in the United States?

examination after examination of voter fraud claims reveal fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is nearly non-existent,
Myth of Voter Fraud

Does requiring ID to vote stop voter fraud?

noncitizen immigrants can inadvertently register to vote because of a glitch in the design of Pennsylvania’s electronic driver’s licensing system.
Source

I think this whole argument over voter ID is a waist of time since it has been found time and again that voter fraud is nearly non-existent.

How much time do you think we should spend on such a topic as voter fraud?
How about election fraud and do you know the difference between the two?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I wondered how long it would take for someone to link to the Brennan Center funded by George Soros' Open Society.

Congrats! You win no prize.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I wondered how long it would take for someone to link to the Brennan Center funded by George Soros' Open Society.

Congrats! You win no prize.
So you don't like the source? Fine. How about another?
Scholars Strategy Network

24 journalism students at twelve universities reviewed some 2,000 public records and identified just six cases of voter impersonation between 2000 and 2012.

Under Republican President George W. Bush, the U.S. Justice Department searched for voter fraud. But in the first three years of the program, just 26 people were convicted or pled guilty to illegal registration or voting. Out of 197,056,035 votes cast in the two federal elections held during that period, the rate of voter fraud was a miniscule 0.00000132 percent!

No state considering or passing restrictive voter identification laws has documented an actual problem with voter fraud

So do you think voter fraud is a real problem and these sources are just making stuff up? If so then perhaps you're right but I would prefer evidence over an opinion. Got any?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

that would be great! would you like to donate to such an endeavor? no?

i guess people who care will have to continue coming up with solutions from their own pockets to make up for government roadblocks taking away our rights. seems like a good system.

or we could also not elect people who pass ineffective laws to help them get elected again?

I'll donate with my taxes to make it work, hows that?

You said a key statement here, "people who care". I guess they care enough to vote but not enough to ID for that vote...figures...

Make it 5 bucks for a voter ID...

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye
More importantly I would like to point out that several sources over the past 16+ years have shown that the boisterous claims of rampant voter fraud have not taken place. There is no evidence that any election in the US has been effected by voter impersonations in recent history.

However there is quite a bit of history here in the US that has shown that voter suppression of minorities has taken place. There was a time when minorities and women were not allowed to vote, they had to fight for that right. The poll tax was used to disenfranchised many Americans most who were poor and non-white. They also had to fight to stop that apparent unconstitutional practice.

I don't know if the recent voter ID laws are racist even though I have a good feeling that fundamentally they are. I don't have a problem with showing my ID to vote even though I don't have to. My problem has to do with deflection and the integrity of our democracy.

To make claim that a proven nearly non-existent issue, voter fraud, is a problem while claiming that it is not racist when history indicates otherwise all the while ignoring a proven real problem, election fraud, is being either disingenuous or ignorant.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Sure.

*sigh*

I did.

I'm not stupid but maybe a little naive since I did trust that you understood the difference between the words "own" and "purchase". I'll ask the question again. Do you need ID to "own or bear" arms because I don't? If that is the case then it should be considered unconstitutional and should be challenged.

I am not against voter ID laws so long as they remain constitutional. Poll taxes have been ruled unconstitutional and this is where the 24th amendment comes in. To require ID to vote could be considered a poll tax if the ID costs money. It's not really that difficult to understand. No Crayons necessary, even you should get it.

Is voter fraud a real problem that has in any way effected any elections in the United States?

examination after examination of voter fraud claims reveal fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is nearly non-existent,
Myth of Voter Fraud

Does requiring ID to vote stop voter fraud?

noncitizen immigrants can inadvertently register to vote because of a glitch in the design of Pennsylvania’s electronic driver’s licensing system.
Source

I think this whole argument over voter ID is a waist of time since it has been found time and again that voter fraud is nearly non-existent.

How much time do you think we should spend on such a topic as voter fraud?
How about election fraud and do you know the difference between the two?

you are being obtuse on purpose. you cant bear a weapon or gun without getting one right? most have to BUY THEM.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

The only way that requiring an ID to vote is racist is if illegal alien is a race itself. I mean, I'm a minority with brown skin, I have a legal ID, and I don't mind showing it at all to vote. Then again, I also have worked with people enough to know that the mere idea of asking for an ID actually causes people to react like you punched their first-born baby in the face. I had a lady tell me I'm profiling her when I asked for her ID, when the back of her debit card actually said "Check ID".........she put that there!!! You would be surprised at how often people get mad when you ask for their ID at a bank.

"When did this happen?? I've never done this before!"

"Well, I don't know you, so I need to see your ID"

"I've been banking here for 30 years!!!"

"I've still never met you, so I need your ID."

"Well, that's because I always go to the other branch."

>_____________<

People are so sensitive about their ID's......

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Right. Because there are no safeguards in place that would throw up a red flag if someone cast a fraudulent vote.

Believe me, I've heard your line of argument a thousand times.

If asking for ID was racially discriminatory, no one would be able to ask for one. Not the government, not even private businesses:

The Federal Civil Rights Act mandates “full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.”

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

No.

Fred.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here in the UK you don't need any ID to vote, it's nuts, a mate of mine didn't vote at the last election and I could have simply gone to his local polling station pretending to be him.
I think we should require ID here because fraud is so easy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join