It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Tax Plan will be Devestating to Seniors and Poor People

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: angeldoll
I wonder when this administration is going to begin repairing our infrastructure? I hope they begin with bridges, because elderly nursing home patients/residents are going to need more to live under.
Which types of infrastructure are you reffering too?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I agree with you completely on the lack of education being an enormous problem. It's a huge barrier to self sufficiency.

That doesn't change the fact that the poor are here, they're vulnerable, and they need health care. I'd fund college for all high school grads in my county if I won the lottery, but in the meantime, there's still a bunch of poor people around here who couldn't afford major surgery if it came up. How do you propose expanding education?

Also, the people shouldn't have kids if they can't afford them thing: That's common sense. I'm with you there. But there are plenty of surprise pregnancies. If the kid is already here, do we just wag fingers and say he shouldn't have been conceived? That won't get him any asthma medication.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
a reply to: CB328

I expect abortion rates would go up for the younger poor, and mortality rates will go up for the older poor, bringing down the average life expectancy in the U. S.

Solutions:
I would prefer my taxes go to Medicare, Medicaid, etc rather than weapons and war. Government for the people.

Since that's not likely, I think charity will have to step up and fill the void. My friend the social worker, who's adopted six kids from horrible situations? On only 30 k a year? Maybe some groceries should mysteriously show up on her porch so she can afford doctor's visits. Maybe hospitals will start waiving the bills of poor seniors because of a fund started by a local businessman.

These solutions are imaginary at this point. But they don't have to be.

You know that won't happen. Never has. The only other volunteers I see working beside me when I'm chopping onions are poor people. I never see a middle class white man or wealthy conservatives serving sandwiches to the homeless. Unless there's a photo op.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Why did your friend adopt so many kids if they can't afford them?

Because she's a compassionate and noble person. These were kids she rescued (social worker) from parents wrecked by their own drug use and violence. Several have disabilities, and she knew they needed more stability than the foster care system provides.

If you think that's leaching off the system, I'm sure that wouldn't bother her. She thinks people who buy new cars and trophy houses are sucking the system dry, ignoring those in need in favor of material status symbols.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You're right, for the most part. The one counter example I have seen was at the Ronald McDonald House. Wealthy people would consistently swing by with crates of formula, gift cards for groceries or gas. Wouldn't tell their names. Drove off in their BMWs. I was impressed with how many rooms were sponsored by "Anonymous Family, Montana."

It can and does happen. Wish it happened more.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I expect abortion rates would go up for the younger poor, and mortality rates will go up for the older poor, bringing down the average life expectancy in the U. S.

Probably not, the conservatives want abortions illegal. As far as mortality rates...that's less SS money that the government will have to pay.

Solutions:
I would prefer my taxes go to Medicare, Medicaid, etc rather than weapons and war. Government for the people.

I have no problem with that...we already spend way too much to kill people and subvert their governments.

Since that's not likely, I think charity will have to step up and fill the void. My friend the social worker, who's adopted six kids from horrible situations? On only 30 k a year? Maybe some groceries should mysteriously show up on her porch so she can afford doctor's visits. Maybe hospitals will start waiving the bills of poor seniors because of a fund started by a local businessman.

If, perhaps, we could get a flat tax in effect...and make sure that large successful corporations pay their share, and that tax shelters and other ways to effectively "hide" income don't exist, maybe, just maybe things can work themselves out.

I highly doubt that any of it will happen because greed...at the top with all the kickbacks..and at the bottom with "free" money, spoils it for the average person.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Yes! Along with some measures to stop rampant overpricing in the medical field. Medicare wouldn't be so difficult to fund if hospitals didn't charge $40 for a dose of Tylenol.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I never see a middle class white man or wealthy conservatives serving sandwiches to the homeless.

How does one "see" the middle class or wealthy conservatives for that matter? Are you profiling?

edit on 19-11-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

immoral and unnecessary tax cut

Now it is 'immoral' for me to keep more of my money.

Nice hyperbole there.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

immoral and unnecessary tax cut

Now it is 'immoral' for me to keep more of my money.

Nice hyperbole there.

How is keeping more of your money at the expense of society moral?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Is that a rhetorical question? Theft is good if it benefits someone we deem worthy of benefit?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

I never see a middle class white man or wealthy conservatives serving sandwiches to the homeless.

How does one "see" the middle class or wealthy conservatives for that matter? Are you profiling?

The thing with volunteering is that you do actually talk to people while you're doing it. If someone says she's working at Walmart, and she voted for Jill Stein, you're fairly secure in deducing she's not middle class, male, or conservative.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Solutions:

You know that won't happen. Never has. The only other volunteers I see working beside me when I'm chopping onions are poor people. I never see a middle class white man or wealthy conservatives serving sandwiches to the homeless. Unless there's a photo op.

Tons of super wealthy liberals though right?

In my area conservative church groups do almost all of the soup kitchens and charity services.

I'm my travels a large percentage of local charities are conservative and Christian.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Solutions:

Companies that make weapons and war employ a lot of middle class people. Why do you want to take away their livelihood and force them into the streets?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Solutions:

Companies that make weapons and war employ a lot of middle class people. Why do you want to take away their livelihood and force them into the streets?

I'll just give them Medicare when that happens. Maybe even UBI.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

My husband used to work almost exclusively for scientists and professors at the universities. In the past year, work has gotten really slow, and all the jobs he does get are small projects for retirees.

Ya that sucks, jobs do move around and people need to move with the jobs. I retired from the military back in 2008 and people would ask me where was I going to live, and I said where the job takes me. They would look a little confused, but I ended up in the North West in a nice job, and if I stayed were I was I be working at home depot or something like that lol.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Solutions:

I'll just give them Medicare when that happens. Maybe even UBI.

"You'll" just given them....? How much money do you have? Can I have some?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join