It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU warns Brexit talks clock is ticking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well today is the 9th of November the timeline mentioned only leaves 15 days to get the work done.
Unless they work on the weekends?

Brussels (AFP) - The EU warned Britain on Thursday that time is running out to reach a divorce deal by the end of the month, a necessary step to guarantee moving the Brexit process on to trade negotiations.

www.yahoo.com...

As Brexit talks resumed in Brussels, concerns are growing among EU officials that British Prime Minister Theresa May's mounting political woes are slowing down negotiations on the historic split.

Now the PM's "political woes" are an EU concern?

"Time is pressing," chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier said in a speech in Rome before flying back to Brussels to start the sixth round of the slow-moving talks. "The European Council summit in October wanted to keep up the dynamic of the negotiations and I am of the same state of mind," he said. "But the real moment of clarification is coming."

As this is an "international" forum, I am surprised we don't see more of these stories here.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

If they fail to reach a deal, what happens? Can Brexit continue simply by failing to do anything, or will they eventually be bound by treaty to effectively reintegrate back into the EU because they were unable to reestablish deals for going it alone?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

What is there to discuss?
Nothing. They so far did nothing, agreed on nothing and the plans to fix that amounts to more nothing.

a reply to: Aazadan

In case of nothing continuing the Brexit means entirely new trade negotiations starting then. Which is kind of what they're both hoping for. Hence all the laissez-faire with the nothing.

edit on 9-11-2017 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Not sure.
I was hoping some of those here who are actually there would weigh in.
Should I change the title to "another mass shooting in the usa"?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well, the EU better get on with it then.

It takes two to move things forward and all we hear is the EU prevaricating and saying "... it's not good enough" and "... cannot do that". The EU know that the longer the disruption and instability the better for them, because the more harm to the UK. The EU benefits from dysfunction.

edit on 9/11/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The EU has shown us over the years that deadlines and cut off points are set in sand , they're frequently extended , they can huff and puff as much as they like but it's just hot air.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

How else can they react to demands which are simply silly? Keep all the benefits and not share the obligations doesn't work in any relationship.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Would entirely new trade negotiations not be beneficial to both sides?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
How else can they react to demands which are simply silly? Keep all the benefits and not share the obligations doesn't work in any relationship.

But that's not the UK's position, as well you will know.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Personally, I can't wait for the divorce to be finalised. My worry is we'll do our usual 180 and start begging to remain. Le sigh.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

In theory, yes. In reality might the UK overplaying their hand a bit. For the EU it's fine their trade stands, locations change but that's not such a big deal. The UK would have to make new deals with the world in 2 days.
But are (I guess) counting on the inertia of global financial players.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think what could happen is that this will go on for a few years.

Eventually nothing will happen.

The UK will end up with some pathetic deal that means its basically still in the EU and that will be that.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The UK would have to make new deals with the world in 2 days.

We're already working on free trade deals with the rest of the world , the EU won't walk away without a deal because it isn't in their interest to do so.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Would the UK be able to get better trade deals than the EU?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It's hard to imagine May gets anything done, with the string of mishaps...
There's a German saying: haste scheiße am Schuh kommt auch noch Pech dazu. Means if you got poo on your boots bad luck will follow.
That describes the last month, not?
If that continues there will maybe be no UK to Brexit, because of some freak accident,... the mothership lands and accidentally flattens the island, or something.

Besides bad jokes, isn't that a big no no? Illegal to make deals before the official brexit is done?
edit on 9-11-2017 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

It was discussed on Radio the other day that if no agreement is made then standard trade agreements from the WTO come into practice, now if the guy was telling the truth or not I dont know.

But knowing politicians they will be doing sweet FA and claiming all their expenses though, SSDD

To think this lot are making all the final agreements is it any wonder BBC Meet The Lords, some insight into the madness running the crazy house

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Thanks!

Some quality mustaches in the link you included, those can't be inexpensive to maintain.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Its not a program that I picked out to watch it was just on, I was then transfixed to see the REAL truth on how this country is run. Observing some (92 IIRC)Lords and Peers who basically are there because of blood lines, with little to no true life experience thus being massivley unnattached from the common man, also looking out for there own benefits, conflict of interests, nah not for the powerfully rich

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

It was discussed on Radio the other day that if no agreement is made then standard trade agreements from the WTO come into practice, now if the guy was telling the truth or not I dont know.

That's exactly right, yes, if there is no trade deal with the EU, and we crash out without a deal, then we have to trade with the world under WTO rules.

This is catastrophic. WTO rules do not allow nations to pay subsidies to particular sectors. So all of those farming subsidies that keep farming going in this country? Would become illegal, government would have to stop paying them, and our farming sector would collapse overnight.

Likewise all of the other industries that get government subsidies, the cars, the heavy industry, the steel.

Also we'd have to accept all that lovely chlorine washed Chicken and chemical-filled cheap poisonous food the Americans are just salivating to sell to us.

WTO rules would be a catastrophe.

This is why the EU keep laughing at our absurd position of 'GIVE US WHAT WE WANT OR WE WILL WALK AWAY!' because they know we can't walk away, because they know WTO rules would be a catastrophe.

And I keep hearing people saying the EU are being unreasonable. They're really not, outside of the UK conservative pro-Brexit media bubble, the other 28 EU nations are looking at us like we are quite quite mad. They think we've gone insane, because our negotiating position is so ridiculous and peurile.

As Boris said, We Will Have Our Cake And Eat It. Except, the rest of the EU ain't gonna just go along with sacrificing their own self-interests in favour of giving us the best deal ever. Why should they?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

WTO rules do not allow nations to pay subsidies to particular sectors

What complete and utter nonsense.

The U.S. has been a member of the WTO since 1995, and guess what! They subsidise many industries including farming.

www.thebalance.com...

You do realise that The U.K. has also been a member of the WTO since 1995 also ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join