It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to choose the cuisine of just one country or culture what would it be?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Makes sense.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

One country or culture's food for the rest of your life and nothing to eat that is not traditionally part of that cuisine?

Southern.

Homemade buttermilk biscuits and gravy, more of those biscuits with sorghum molasses, pickled bologna, deviled eggs, fried chicken, pecan pie, fried catfish, beer hush puppies, fried green tomatoes, ham and beans with homemade cornbread and fried potatoes, with a few slices of fresh garden tomato on the side, pit barbecue mutton or pork...........

Been eatin' like that all my life. No way in Hell I'm givin' it up now.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That really is a tough one because I can't decide between French, Spanish or Portuguese (and possibly a bit of Scottish - I do LOVE a good haggis, neeps and tatties)...........hmmmmm...... might have to pick French, even though I would miss out on the other tasty dishes I love from Spain and Portugal.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
"Like what you did with Pizza" and "chinese" food.

American Chinese food owes its creation to the Japanese in San Francisco, including the fortune cookie, which is taken from a Japanese tea cookie and cannot be found in China.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Your going to have to define traditional last 50 years ... 100 150 2000 ?

If i choose Japan do I get sushi not around pre ww2 for the most part or anything made with flour

Italian can I have tomatoes brought over from the Americas about 200 years ago

Or almost all Asian/ME/med do I have to only eat rice grown there or if I choose India I'm basically stuck with basmati

Dose anyone get to eat corn except if I picked native American food

Dose the Pacific islanders count pre or post ww1 ... the way everyone eats on the islands change a lot at that time ... pig is not native to the islands

And what about hot sauce the pepper is also new world food

When i say traditional I normally mean 0 new world items unless it's a new world dish

Assuming the worst ima pick native American just so I can have new world items ... also do I get all of native American cooking or do I got a specify tribe to

corn, potato, tomato, bell pepper, chili pepper, vanilla, tobacco, beans, pumpkin, cassava root, avocado, peanut, pecan , cashew, pineapple, blueberry, sunflower, petunia, black-eyed susan, dahlia, marigold, quinine, wild rice, cacao (chocolate), gourds, and squash.

If it's on that list it's only traditional in native American cooking

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hmmm, I was going to go with Mexican, but Augustus makes a really good point. It may not always be authentic, but you can find darn near everything here in the US now if you look hard enough. Plus, we have fusion which creates endless variations of everything.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

One country or culture's food for the rest of your life and nothing to eat that is not traditionally part of that cuisine?

Southern.

Homemade buttermilk biscuits and gravy, more of those biscuits with sorghum molasses, pickled bologna, deviled eggs, fried chicken, pecan pie, fried catfish, beer hush puppies, fried green tomatoes, ham and beans with homemade cornbread and fried potatoes, with a few slices of fresh garden tomato on the side, pit barbecue mutton or pork...........

Been eatin' like that all my life. No way in Hell I'm givin' it up now.

You Americans really are divided aren't you?

Even when you can choose the whole of American food you still have to pick your own particular part of it

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've been to "fusion" restaurants and they all seem like regular sushi places to me.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

If you think Italian food sucks then you live a sad sad life. I'm sorry, I hope you can find happiness soon.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The US is as big as Europe. It stands to reason there are different cuisines to go with the regions. You have your own food in the UK and it's distinct from France, from Germany, from Spain, and each of those countries is maybe the size of a few of our states.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Southern.

The history of Southern food with its admixture of African/West Indian slave recipes, combined with French influence of the Acadians, is truly epic. It makes for an interesting tale on how many common Southern dishes came to be.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: ketsuko

I've been to "fusion" restaurants and they all seem like regular sushi places to me.

You're looking wrong. Not all of them are mixing in sushi.

We have some food trucks that roam KC that mix some interesting stuff.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

Your going to have to define traditional last 50 years ... 100 150 2000 ?

If i choose Japan do I get sushi not around pre ww2 for the most part or anything made with flour

Italian can I have tomatoes brought over from the Americas about 200 years ago

Or almost all Asian/ME/med do I have to only eat rice grown there or if I choose India I'm basically stuck with basmati

Dose anyone get to eat corn except if I picked native American food

Dose the Pacific islanders count pre or post ww1 ... the way everyone eats on the islands change a lot at that time ... pig is not native to the islands

And what about hot sauce the pepper is also new world food

When i say traditional I normally mean 0 new world items unless it's a new world dish

Assuming the worst ima pick native American just so I can have new world items ... also do I get all of native American cooking or do I got a specify tribe to

corn, potato, tomato, bell pepper, chili pepper, vanilla, tobacco, beans, pumpkin, cassava root, avocado, peanut, pecan , cashew, pineapple, blueberry, sunflower, petunia, black-eyed susan, dahlia, marigold, quinine, wild rice, cacao (chocolate), gourds, and squash.

If it's on that list it's only traditional in native American cooking

Good point!

I would say that before 150 years ago with no real communication or travel we ate locally and from our own culture on the whole so anything after that needs to be a bastardised version far far removed from the origional.

So for British food we cannot have pasta like a good lasagne as it is Italian but we can have tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce on white bread toast as we took pasta and made it awful yet British.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Yeah....but I bet more than a few Yankees are droolin' right about now.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We have some food trucks that roam KC that mix some interesting stuff.

There's a Korean/French fusion place in Jersey City. All I can say is kimchi fries, holy crap.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I can say, with pride, that I've never had canned spaghetti.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The US is as big as Europe. It stands to reason there are different cuisines to go with the regions. You have your own food in the UK and it's distinct from France, from Germany, from Spain, and each of those countries is maybe the size of a few of our states.

A fair point.

The UK is made of 4 countries though and the food does differ but not to the point of say Poland and Portugal.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Scottish....hmmm wait, we only have haggis...um....British. Cant beat home cooked classics!

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: indigothoughts

And according to Dennis Leary, Irish cuisine is just boiling the sh# out of stuff.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Chinese is my weakness,i love that food.If i could afford chinese takeaway for every meal then it would be a no brainer.Unfortunately i can,t so its a treat once a week.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join