It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huthi rebels take down a MQ-9 Reaper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
A recent video posted to twitter show what appears to be a MQ-9 Reaper having been shot down by the Huthi rebels. If so is the US directly involved now with assisting the House of Sauds war in yemen? Lets face it the Saudi's conduct is starting to look more and more like genocide.

gizmodo.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

The US has been involved in Yemen for awhile now. It's been an open secret that we're flying missions there, both manned and unmanned, for years.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
A decade or so ago this would be an international incident because a pilot would now be down somewhere very bad...

Now it seems like nobody cares we were somewhere we were not really supposed to be since all we lost was a few million dollars in a drone.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Stupid question. How would they take the drone out? I'd assume the drone would be flying at a high altitude and would any hand held surface to air missile be able to lock onto such a small object? AA gun perhaps ? Genuine question .. just curious

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Reapers are in the MALE family, meaning they're medium altitude aircraft. While they can get as high as 50,000 feet, they operate well below that on missions. There are a few MANPADS that can reach up to where they operate, and any kind of true SAM can hit them.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Do many drones operate at a medium height if so I'd expect more to be shot down. But I suppose that depends on those on the ground whether they have access to SAMs or MANPADS

I suppose their operating height depends on their mission

edit on 2-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Aircraft like the Reaper are designed to operate in low to medium threat areas, like Afghanistan and Iraq. That's one reason they operate at lower altitudes. Most are actually considered MALE aircraft though. It's not easy to build a true HALE aircraft.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thanks again for the insight. I was going to ask the meaning of MALE and HALE .. MALE being Medium Altitude Long Endurance and HALE being High Altitude Long Endurance. Wow I actually looked something up myself for once

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

When you get into a HALE platform, you're getting into really high end sensors, and strategic ISR, which is something most nations don't need nearly as much as they do tactical ISR. So there aren't many HALE platforms in use.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Oh yea, I meant to get back to this. I figured someone would hit it eventually.

Well, that's why we have them unmanned, in case this happens!

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

We had/have a substantial done base in the south of the ariban desert, I know it was said it's a open secret, but maybe it's just my involvent in the aerospace sphear

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

There were several threads about our operations in Africa a couple years ago.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Praise Kek

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3
Djibouti. The government terminated a lease on another parcel there and awarded it to the Chinese. We still fly drones and support AMISOM out of there though.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Wouldnt have thought an MQ-9 put out much of a heat signature, wonder how many they have fired over the years to get this one kill??

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Africa is such a s-itshow i would hate to get posted there, i guess it would be....okay....in the extreme north but i'd rather go pretty much anywhere else

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
So, how did we get dragged into this one?
I've been following the Syrian war all along, but Yemen has largely slipped under my radar.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
A quick check of Wikipedia shows that the Houthis are predominantly Shiite.

So yes, this most definitely is genocide, courtesy of our "allies" the Saudis.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
they've been involved since the word "go".

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I'd imagine that it's not much harder than shooting down a PC-12 or a TBM with a MANPAD would be.

The Predator/Reaper family are exactly as cheap/disposable as they are because of the vulnerable flight envelope/mission plans that they fly.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join