It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse meat for dinner if U.S. House gets its way

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Horse meat, it's what's for dinner — if the U.S. House gets its way

WASHINGTON — Animal advocates are keeping close watch on Congress amid concern that a moratorium on horse meat production may be in jeopardy.

Congress shut down the industry nearly a decade ago by cutting off funds for USDA meat inspectors. But in July, a key House committee approved an annual farm spending bill that would lift the ban.

The full House then ratified that shift in policy, for the first time in two years — opening the door to revival of an industry that many Americans find repugnant, but which some horse owners view as a practical way to dispose of unwanted livestock.

Tough subject and social media's a buzz with advocated on either side finding no middle ground on the subject.

President Donald Trump’s proposed budget would raise $10 million by lifting a ban on the sale of wild mustangs. Horse advocates take it as a disturbing sign. If Trump is open to exporting symbols of the Wild West to satisfy culinary cravings in Belgium or France, he’s probably open to resumption of domestic horse meat production.

It's a tough issue but in my mind one which clearly needs to be changed. The ban on horse slaughtering in the States causes mass suffering when these animals are trucked to either Canada or Mexico.

I'll forgo the description of the 'trip' - but think of the worst case scenario you can come up with and it's probably worse still. I've seen with my own eyes the horses (poor things) that come off of those trailers and it's nothing less than horrific.

peace

edit on 4901Friday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Horse. The other, other red meat.

I don't understand why there was a moratorium to start with. Meat is meat. It's probably tougher but is it tasty?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What did the Lone Ranger have dinner the day Silver died?

He had Hi Ho Silver -n- gravy

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well I for one see no problem eating horse .
I think The US restrictions on many food products are stupid .
Sure be sure its clean after that someones likes to eat it then what ever .
I dont eat dog nor would I but I am sure many from china would love to have it legal .
I dont eat spider as well but again its called freedom .
Would I eat a Horse why of coarse of coarse as long as its not mr ed the talking horse .
He is worth million alive !
Besides so many stakes may as well be horse meat sometime you can still see the whip marks were the jocky was beating it lol.
If i was starving i would hope to own a weinner he would quickly become a hot dog

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's exquisite. 'They' say it's like mixing the taste of venison and beef but I don't agree at all. It is sweeter than beef though and tougher if not cooked correctly.

I forgot why the original ban was put in place. I'll have to go look. I seem to remember it having something to do with animal activists? I'll check.

I do know tax payers spend 50 million a year on the wild horses.

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I can see restaurants selling horse meat at a higher price by claiming it is special. Be one of the few whose steak ran in the Kentucky Derby.

edit:

How about a burger franchise named Derby Burger, Mr Ed's, Blue Grass Steak House.

edit on 9/29/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I don't understand why there was a moratorium to start with. Meat is meat. It's probably tougher but is it tasty?

I haven't tried it, but those who have claim it is more tender than beef and very good.
I can't bring myself to try. But it is very rare to find it here now. It seems only older people remember eating horsemeat.
I think having war on your soil opens your mind to alternate food sources...??

In any case, I know the closing of the slaughterhouses there was a catastrophy !

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is equally as repugnant as eating a dog or cat. imo. No, no, and no.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Yep - especially when it's lower in fat and calories than beef.

That's the market right there.

Jenny Craig would go right out of business. All the fatties in the USA who want to cut down on their weight and get healthier?

It's horse.

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Such heart jerking fear mongering.

An abundance/over population of any animal is a very serious health hazard. And using the remains of said animals is a great way to feed your pets/livestock. I see nothing wrong with this.

If you think "you'll" be eating this, you can sleep easy, as you won't. The, "what about the poor animals" scenario doesn't apply here.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We only wanna save the cute animals, dont we?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The Beef industry won't like this, they'll have competition which should drive down the cost of beef decently.

I, for one, have no issue with eating horse, or anything else as long as it's priced right.

Granted, the USA bans horse meat, but we can eat all sorts of chemicals. Go figure..

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I haven't tried it, but those who have claim it is more tender than beef and very good.
I can't bring myself to try. But it is very rare to find it here now. It seems only older people remember eating horsemeat.
I think having war on your soil opens your mind to alternate food sources...??

In any case, I know the closing of the slaughterhouses there was a catastrophy !

It was horrible! All those poor horses on trips for thousands of miles and the condition they were in when exiting the trailers.

And the cost for the vets at the boarder only drove the prices up making it more profitable for owners to sell their horses.

I remember when a 'grade A' went for $1,200.

Pretty grim.

edit on 2017Friday201713 by silo13 because: fix reply

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I remember burgers at a restaurant that were horseburgers. They were really good. I think it was at a restaurant called Sandys

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Why?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
How long since you had a hot, steaming bowl of Horse chili? Well, that's too long...

Call it Pony Up.

Anyway, if people want to eat horse, I won't take a knee to protest it. To each their own.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

An abundance/over population of any animal is a very serious health hazard. And using the remains of said animals is a great way to feed your pets/livestock. I see nothing wrong with this.

If you think "you'll" be eating this, you can sleep easy, as you won't. The, "what about the poor animals" scenario doesn't apply here.

I agree on all points but the last. Maybe you're missing my point.

Opening the slaughterhouses in the USA will save the suffering of (most) unwanted horses. I think it needs to be done.

Trucking them in deplorable conditions for hundreds if not thousands of miles is abuse of the highest form.

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

originally posted by: KawRider9

I agree on all points but the last. Maybe you're missing my point.

Opening the slaughterhouses in the USA will save the suffering of (most) unwanted horses. I think it needs to be done.

Trucking them in deplorable conditions for hundreds if not thousands of miles is abuse of the highest form.

peace

That just good horse sense. It's better to not stress the animal before slaughter.
edit on 9/29/2017 by roadgravel because: fix bad quote

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Why?

Because I only know them as domesticated animals. Pets. They are not on ranches, like cows, to be raised for consumption. They are our comrades, for sporting, leisure, and our helpmates. Our pets.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

In all likelihood, you can thank our ladies in dressage and their influence, via their political husbands, for this situation. They have amazing 'pull'. It's the reason there are more dressage scholarships than baseball scholarships in schools with both sports.

Little do they know that the most popular chaps are made from horse-hides. Incredibly soft and comfortable for those ladies....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join