It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana Is Burning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I just came across this video on the fires in the state of Montana.The musical score is from
the Group Disturbed their version of,"The Sounds Of Silence". I wasn't aware of these fires
and I thought I would post this so others could see as well.

www.youtube.com...

Here is another article I just came across about the fires in Montana and other states.
allnewspipeline.com...
edit on 7-9-2017 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Montana isn't the only one,Oregon recently had a large fire as well.
edit on 7-9-2017 by VashTheStampede because: Loss of sleep

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

from the Montana and Cali fires...

It's so hazy here in the land of enchantment, it's hard to see the Sangre de Cristos....

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

I just found out about those fires a few minutes ago.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

There seems to be a dividing line in the country this year. West of it has been really hot and dry. East of it has been cool and wet.

I'm on the cool and wet side, so it's sort of bizarre to hear so many complaining about how hellishly hot and dry it has been.

It's a real shame, but sometimes, things have to burn off. There are plants whose life cycles depend on periodic fires.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
God i love when he sings Sound of SIlence. Good choice for the video.

That's frightening. I hope everyone will stay safe!

It's like the northwest is on burning and the south east is drowning.

-Alee

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It was very very hot on the east coast this summer. Not cool at all.
I'm used to the heat and I couldn't take it outside this year. I'm so far behind on the garden because it was all we could do just to keep the grass cut.
It was also very wet.
A strong storm through here now would take down a lot of trees because it's been a wet summer .
Wet and hot as hell.
We call it Africa hot and it happens every year but by August it's back down to the mid eighties usually. Not this year. It was ninety throughout the month of August high nineties. And humid. Oppressive humid.
There wasn't even a cool summer night. It never got cooler at night it just got darker.

Right now it's heavenly. Cooler and dryer. I can open the Windows and get fresh air in the house.
It was like they flipped a switch on Sept 1st. It's been beautiful since. We did get some heavy rain from Harvey's remnants but even that's gone now. It's very bright today and about 66 degrees. Great!

My weather feed says Irma will affect my area on Monday. I'm glad I spent the $4,000.00 last summer to get all the big trees removed.
Ancient pines that left piles of straw and pinecones everywhere. I will say I have some pretty black soil in my yard.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I grew up on Simon and Garfunkel and I always loved that song.
Disturbed has taken it to a whole new level. It gives me goosebumps.
So impassioned. So raw.

edit on 972017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I also grew up on the original song and love the new version.
That man has an incredible voice.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well as we say here (I'm not in Montana,) we've got winter, and wildfire season.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
flathead valley is full of smoke and we been burning for months,spent through our fire fighting funds and most of the FEMA/Government aid,something like a million acres burned and only the snow will save us this year www.krtv.com...

More than 4,000 firefighters have been involved in the battle against the fires this season; two of them lost their lives fighting fires in western Montana. That is the third-largest acreage burned by wildfires in Montana in more than two decades. The total number of wildfires so far this year is 1,687. Of those, 748 were lightning-sparked, and 939 were caused by people/vehicles. The number of acres burned by lightning-caused fires is 922,506; the acres burned by human-caused fires is 110,295. This year, the total so far is 1,032,801 acres burned. That's not far behind the record year of 2012, when an estimated 1,220,646 acres burned. 2006 ranks as the second-worst year during that time period. The cost of fighting the fires has reached about $284 million so far in 2017; an estimated $53 million of that came directly from the state budget, and the rest from federal monies.
so yeah throw in the fires in idaho,washington,oregon and cali and canada and good deal of the northwest is on fire with air quality being the worst ive seen in my ten years in this state . cant use any motorized machinery like lawnmowers chain saws or comparable tools after 11 am i think.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Dallas, Tx has had just astoundingly beautiful weather this year. I am really excited for the fall season and winter this year for some reason.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

We've had a run of rain up here in Alaska. It is the end of summer and typically a wet time of year before the snow falls.

As a state we sent four crews to Washington and Montana since they were no longer needed here. It looks pretty bad.

PNW has been warm over the summer with little to no rain which is compounding the fire danger.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
We live in far northern Idaho. We had a very wet winter/spring, resulting in heavy vegetation. We haven't had any significant rain in the last 6 weeks... it is BONE dry... a tinderbox. We have been very lucky, thus far. Our problem at the moment, is heavy smoke. We have been socked in by heavy smoke for the better part of the last week. Visibility has been below a mile for the last 3 or 4 days. The goats, sheep and dogs have showed no ill effects, as of yet. We free range our ducks and chickens, they have been freaked out, hiding under our deck. The cats are having breathing issues, and I have as well. I haven't seen smoke like this, since Saudi Arabia in 1991.

Our weather pattern is supposed to shift tonight, bringing in cleaner air from the south... and possibly some rain as well (fingers crossed)...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
State of Washington declared these fires a State of Emergency as did multiple area sin other places. Idiot teens caught the Columbia river area of Or and WA on fire as the fire jumped the Columbia River. Word from family fighting the fire, and the news, 10,000 acres are affected.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I wonder what's going to happen to these teens that started that fire?

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Here in Cali, if you are at fault/start a major fire like that, they send you the bill for fighting it, among other penalties, like jail. And if someone dies you can be charged with murder. We've had at least 4, what I'd call apocalyptic, fires in my area that threatened our home in the last 18 years. Fires so big and bad the whole area looks like a moonscape in the aftermath instead of lush forest. 2 of them within the last 18 months or so. It's no joke

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

Out here where I live, it's pretty much a policy for all the farmers and ranchers to burn off their fields, especially in very early spring. The landscape does look very weird, but a couple weeks later, it's unimaginably lush and beautiful.

Your landscape will return. It's the human landscape that really suffers.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yup I know, the biggest/most recent 2 we had was the Station Fire that wiped out a huge part of the Angeles National Forest. I used to look up at the mountain and see trees, but now thanks to Smokey The Bear and 50+ years of undergrowth it's all gone.

I got a call from my uncle in Pasadena and asked if we were ok. I was confused because it started on his side of the mountain not ours. So I went outside and the whole top of the mountain was on fire and headed right for us. Forest got killed instead of refreshed. It still hasn't recovered.

So I get what you're saying, but this was total devastation. Anywhere the fire went the forest was literally burned to the ground and the mountain was nothing but black ground and grey ashes when it was over. It smelled like smoke here for 3 years after that.

Then we had the Sand Fire recently and it reburned almost that whole area.

Our property is cleared more than required though. We have a tile roof, stucco, and we have crates for all the animals, and enough vehicles. Basically depending on how much time we have we just load the animal supplies, then clothes, papers, pictures etc. Then if we have time we load everything else we can and wait for the fire or fire dept to tell us to go.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
We did finally get the worst of the smoke cleared out... but, still no rain. It is still very hazy, and visibility is still under 3 miles... but it no longer smells like smoke. Any improvement is welcomed at this point...

The 7 day forecast shows no rain on the horizon... but temperatures should moderate. Every little bit helps.

...4 months from now, I will be bitching about the snow... LOL.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join