It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRMA Preps, What Are You Doing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
South Florida and possibly right up the spine are at risk according to currently available modeling.

About 23 million population could be affected. The Florida governor has called state of emergency for all 67 counties.

Some models are trending westward into Florida panhandle and northward into Alabama. Other runs show a Florida to Georgia path.

Any of those model runs are uncomfortably close to my location in east central alabama.

My current abode is an RV under cover of metal framed and roofed structure rated at about 90mph.

The RV is tied down to anchors in concrete pad and structure over it has doubled ground stakes driven 4' feet down.

My cabin is rated approximately 130mph and lacks final interior fit out - however it still has some very large and tall trees in close proximity that present hazard - just not enough time to remove this go round.

As an interim shelter I have arranged 20' feet of a 40' foot HC ship container with heavy frame and 14 gauge steel walls as backup shelter. The container is chained down from top to anchor point several feet away and along with its empty weight of 8000 pounds and estimated content weight of another 10,000 pounds I think it'll be good for winds as well as trees.

Otherwise plenty water, fuel, food, preps, generators, chain saws etc. and other toys available for self preservation.

Very rural here with closest neighbor at 1 mile, we are self supporting and reliant and cannot rely on standard services or lack thereof like city folk.

What are others doing?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I am doing nothing at all ... but then, I am not in the danger zone.

In fact, the only reason I am replying is to say ...

GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE

Keep a weapon handy for those escaping Gators. Too much wind and they could be flying Gators.

P

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Lots and lots of peanut butter...but I'm not in Irma's path so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it when she's gone...maybe mail it to Florida

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Spend you're emergency money on a vacation and go somewhere until it dies down.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Sounds like you've done an excellent prep job.

My Georgia and Florida relatives are making arrangements to get out. The Florida folks are going to the mountains to family and friends there. The Georgia relatives are heading to eastern TN to a relative's house and then coming here to western KY to visit family and friends. They'll be staying with us for a bit so my prep will be to get the guest quarters tidied up and the fridge up there stocked.

Here's hoping this one fizzles and nobody is seriously affected.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm in the wrong ocean. (or right ocean, depending on your point of view)
So I'll probably just be writing another check.

edit on 9/5/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Yeah, one of those gators was found quite close by in a stream just last week.

I'm not too worried here as worst case we'd get Cat 2 winds if that, more likely Cat 1 or less, problem is pine trees.

Not at all sure about our members in Florida as models show an armmageddon like progression up the Peninsula or just as bad just off either coast.

Not sure how one can prep for what's maybe coming down south.

Thanks for prayers, double them for Florida folks.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Since Irma decided to veer off from my location my doom plans are doomed. I don't have to prepare for anything now. :p So much for free water filling up my pool. Now I'm going have to do it the old fashion way. Re-use bath water. LMAO. I should have went to Texas with a water tank to fill my pool up.
edit on 5-9-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'm in NWFL. I'm giving it another day or 2 before I make any plans. If the storm tracks westward for more than another day, it will put us in the impact zone depending on when it decides to turn north. We haven't had a major hurricane since Ivan(04), and I feel like everybody around here will panic, so I hope to make the call to get supplies right before the hysteria kicks in.

If it turns north sooner, then I won't worry about it. Good luck south FL, you'll need it.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Not too far from you Phoenix. A little south-west.

I guess I'm just gonna sit, wait, and watch everyone else freak out and rush to the gas pumps/stores. We have everything we need already, save for a working generator. But, I have alternatives for lighting/cooking in place already, and heating won't be an issue right now.

I've always been of the mind that by the time you know you have trouble headed your way, it's a bit late to be making preparations...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I'm thinking of retiring in Georgia,when I build a place there will have a basement,as well as an elevated pad,build it to So Calif standards,seems a lot in blighted areas do little to prepare,and depend on government

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I'm in the wrong ocean. (or right ocean, depending on your point of view)
So I'll probably just be writing another check.

I can send you my account details via PM if you like, forget the check, I'm fine with a direct deposit ...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Im in Texas so Im waiting in line for gasoline. /s
The shipping container sounds like a good idea as long as it cant flood it to serious depth.

Everyone take care.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

The winds of Mars would not even stand a chance. You sure know how to put up a fight against the elements.

All you guys, stay safe.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Stay safe out there. If there's no gas, than you don't have to go to work.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
We are in the Florida keys and currently buttoning up the house and then will leave soon.....within a day . ...my husband wants to stay, but I don't. So it's a battle right now.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
In the Appalachians on top of a mountain so will probably just get windy rain off it.

Already talking to wife about taking a pajama day...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Hurricanes are boring (the storms themselves, and especially if the power goes out). If the eye is headed straight for you get out. Otherwise not so much. Make lots of ice blocks, freeze everything in the fridge solid leading up until the power goes out. Usually its a waste of time.

Were built for them here in florida.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

According to the conspiracy theorists Irma is man-made and will hit NYC on 9/11.

Why might you ask would our own government keep attacking us:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Sounds like you've done an excellent prep job.

My Georgia and Florida relatives are making arrangements to get out. The Florida folks are going to the mountains to family and friends there. The Georgia relatives are heading to eastern TN to a relative's house and then coming here to western KY to visit family and friends. They'll be staying with us for a bit so my prep will be to get the guest quarters tidied up and the fridge up there stocked.

Here's hoping this one fizzles and nobody is seriously affected.

Being a Georgian , got my stuff ready and preparing for the worst. I remember Eloise . Came smack up through the middle of Georgia. Raised all kinda hell. Had the same initial track .

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join