It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was taught in school moon never rotated

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The moon is gravitationally locked with the Earth. Like two ice skaters hold hands and one is spinning round while the other is off the ground. But there are also "lunar librations" where the inclination of the moons orbital plane relative to Earth lets us see the moon at different angles:

www.wwu.edu...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

That goes without saying, doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You misunderstand. The same side of the moon always faces earth, this means it rotates in such a way that one side is always facing earth.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

I don't think NASA has ever admitted that the Moon has a hollow center.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: anotherside

that isn't correct. The moon rotates about its own axis such that the same side is always facing the earth. for that too happen the moon must rotate about its axis

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Are You always looking at night?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What i forgot to add was my own eyes saw the moon change. No longer was there a face on the moon but a different look. The images i provide should show that to you. I personaly have experienced anomalies that make me fully believe ive crossed dimensions. The moon changes made me believe that more.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Either you are trolling or you need to see a doctor

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: E1Hammer

Either you are trolling or you need to see a doctor
neither, just trying to open your closed little minds.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

To be fair, the moon is not perfectly tidally locked, as the above poster stormcell mentioned.

It does have a very very slight horizontal shimmy or "libration" that will show a small amount of lunar surface that isnt seen at times. However, this "shimmy" is so minute, the difference is virtually non perceptible.

But as the moon makes its elliptical orbit, its velocity varies and alters that synchronicity, causing our perspective of the "light side" to appear at slightly different angles throughout any given month. In short, the moon wobbles. At least, it does to our eyes. A casual glance skyward won't reveal this, but when a full month of lunar views gets compressed into 12 seconds, as in the visualization below, it's impossible to miss. This rocking like a ship at sea is called libration, from the Latin for balance scale. Instead of just one side, we actually see about 59 percent of the lunar surface over the course of an orbit. 

svs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Now you know.

edit on 31-8-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside

Im having issues uploading the image i want to make an example of. Its a picture of the moon from the 80s off an album cover. Our moon rotates once every 27 days. Possibly causing us to see different faces. But i grew up learning in school the moon doesnt rotate. And the angle never changed. Now both happen.

The top picture almost looks like a boy is looking down at a kid with a white shirt on.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

"Education" does suck in this country. I learned more in two years of college than I learned in four years of high school. That's just being honest.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Oh, this is a Mandella effect thread.

At least it's not flat earth, so all good.

Continue.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
There are many people teaching in this country whom I believe should not.
However when I spoke up about the slow pace in a high school math class, the teacher had me teach the class for 2 days. I was a student in the class. I was thinking unpaid work. The teacher said I did a good job. Apparently I agreed with one guy I knew in the class, we were in the wrong group. The rest of the class was slow matching the teacher.

In college things were the opposite. It was hard. In one hard class, one guy made me go hmmm. He said he already took the course and aced it but didn't learn anything with a different teacher because it was too easy so he retook it in my class. Apparently I had the hardest teachers. I was like oh great, just my luck.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: E1Hammer

Or both?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Mandella? Holy Cow! In my reality it was spelled "Mandela".

It could turn into a "Flat Moon" thread, though.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Whoever told you "the moon does not rotate" had picked up the point that the moon keeps the same face towards the earth, and simply described it badly or misunderstood it.
It happens. We once had a history teacher who told us that "the Count of the Saxon Shore" was a line of Roman forts (in fact, it was the title of the officer in charge of them- as I could have told him, but didn't).

edit on 1-9-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The Earth is indeed flat and you are observing the moon from a different location on earth.
edit on 1-9-2017 by itsallgonenow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Can the Tidal Lock eventually unlock? At what point did it lock?

Genuine questions folks, just curious.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: kyleplatinum

That's certainly a possibility.

The moon is drifting away from the earth very slowly.

I imagine that one day our gravity won't hold the moon in place and it will lose lock.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join