It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was taught in school moon never rotated

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Im having issues uploading the image i want to make an example of. Its a picture of the moon from the 80s off an album cover. Our moon rotates once every 27 days. Possibly causing us to see different faces. But i grew up learning in school the moon doesnt rotate. And the angle never changed. Now both happen.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside

Im having issues uploading the image i want to make an example of. Its a picture of the moon from the 80s off an album cover. Our moon rotates once every 27 days. Possibly causing us to see different faces. But i grew up learning in school the moon doesnt rotate. And the angle never changed. Now both happen.

looks like one of the cameras was just rotated slightly.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You were taught wrong. The moon does in fact rotate, just at the same rate relative to the Earth, so that one side perpetually faces Earth.

Turkenstein is also correct, both images are showing the same angle, just rotated.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
You were taught wrong. The moon does in fact rotate, just at the same rate relative to the Earth, so that one side perpetually faces Earth.

Turkenstein is also correct, both images are showing the same angle, just rotated.
they are not, look closely at the craters.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
*WARNING, SCIENCE*

What is Tidal Locking?

www.spaceanswers.com...

Tidal locking is the name given to the situation when an object’s orbital period matches its rotational period. A great example of this is our own Moon. The moon takes 28 days to go around the Earth and 28 days to rotate once around it’s axis. This results in the same face of the Moon always facing the Earth. We see other examples of this in our solar system and universe.

Like Wayfarer said before. The moon does rotate. But rotates in such a way that we always see the same face of the moon. I just wanted to let everyone know that had a name. And the name is Tidal Locking.

edit on 31-8-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It's called gravitational lock...
Meaning one rotation is the same as one revolution...

Mercury is the same...

Take a tennis ball and revolve it around your fist...in orders for the log to always face your hand you must rotate the ball as you move it in orbit of your fist...

It is speculated many hot jupiters throughout the cosmos exist in gravitational lock with their stars...
What a site that would be

Chris

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I don't know why, but your "warning" made me chuckle.

#passiveaggressivismftw

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I don't know why, but your "warning" made me chuckle.

#passiveaggressivismftw

Science scares some people especially when they have access to the Internet but post things like this.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I can't believe my star is the only one you got for that reply.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Nice graphic here on how it happens.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

you're kidding, right? it's nearly the exact same view, just rotated.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Nice graphic here on how it happens.

Love learning new stuff like this on ATS! TY for posting.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

They are, you just have to rotate the image to match. The moon is not seen from the same ANGLE all of the time at every point from earth, but this does not mean that it doesn't rotate.

Keep in mind that the earth is at a 23.5-degree tilt from the ecliptic of the solar system, but the moon orbits only five-degrees off of the ecliptic, meaning at any given time taken from different times and places around the earth, the moon will appear anywhere from zero- to 28.5-degrees different from one picture to the other (sort of, numbers differ, but that's easy to note), assuming that the cameras are level with the horizon. Of course, given that cameras can be at any angle, and pictures can be rotated to any angle on a computer, this is really irrelevant. Side note, the moon also has a tilted axis of about a 1.5-degrees deviation from the ecliptic. Lots of wobble and view-angle possibilities, here.

Now, look at the craters again.

The bottom line, like others have noted, is that the moon certainly does rotate, but on it's own axis which is at a differing degree from the earth's axis. It is tidal-locked with the earth, meaning we only see one side of it, ever (at least in our lifetimes).
edit on 31-8-2017 by SlapMonkey because: expanded info

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Must be this new math and astronomy .
I was taught that the moon rotated , but at a rate that it mostly kept one side facing the Earth.
But it was ages ago , and I guess science has changed a lot over the years.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Or students are not understanding what they're being taught.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: Gothmog

Or students are not understanding what they're being taught.

I blame teachers, at least mine anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I didn't want to trigger anyone.

Don't want to be insensitive.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I didn't want to trigger anyone.

Don't want to be insensitive.

Thanks, now I want the audio. Never gets old. 😂🤣😂

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: anotherside

Let me guess, it's because the Earth is flat?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: anotherside

Let me guess, it's because the Earth is flat?
I read that the moon was a big Hollow spaceship that was locked into orbit around the Earth and the dark side is where the aliens take off from. We're not supposed to see them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join