It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Girl arrives in Long Beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Virgin Orbit's modified 747, Cosmic Girl, arrived in Long Beach after the initial modification to convert the former passenger aircraft into a rocket carrier. The aircraft spent 16 months in Texas undergoing modification that included removing the passenger seats, galley systems, and other fittings.

It then underwent modification to the wing, to strengthen the inboard position between the #2 engine and fuselage, where the spare engine is normally carried for transport. It went to the Mojave airport where it received its FAA Experimental certification. Most of the flight testing will take place there.

aviationweek.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Any idea when she will be taking up the first rocket?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LordOfDestruction

They're going to take things pretty slowly from their press releases. They'll probably do the captive carry tests early next year, and the first launch in 2019ish.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I hate your posts sometimes, now i have a bunch of research to do on mother ships, shuttle aircraft etc.

haha

en.wikipedia.org...

this one looks insane, you've opened up a world entertainment for me here, thank you
edit on 1-8-2017 by LordOfDestruction because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

We really do live in amazing times. We a literally a hair width away from the sci-fi I loved as a kid.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have to ask, what is that contraption between the B-36 and F86 ?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

The trapeze to carry the F-86. It was part of the FICON program. The B-36 would carry either an RF-86 or F-86. In the latter case, the bomber would release the fighter, which was carrying a nuclear weapon. It would bomb the target and return to the B-36 to be carried home again.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Does the landing gear on that thing have enough clearance for that fighter plane or is it modified?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

This should be cool.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

They used a standard RB-36F and modified the bomb bay with the trapeze. Everything else was the same as every other F model.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What was the protocol back then for taking off with a fighter plane strapped to the belly, i assume it was dangerous?
Would the fighter plane pilot have to control his plane in accordance with the plane it is strapped to on takeoff?

Sorry for all the questions, really interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

He rode in the B-36 until just before they released it. He'd get in the cockpit and start the engine as they approached the release point. They lowered the trapeze and dropped the fighter, and went into an orbit. After he returned, he hooked into the trapeze, shut the engine down, was raised into the bomb bay, and climbed back out into the bomber.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I would not have the stones for that lol

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: manuelram16

The trapeze to carry the F-86. It was part of the FICON program. The B-36 would carry either an RF-86 or F-86. In the latter case, the bomber would release the fighter, which was carrying a nuclear weapon. It would bomb the target and return to the B-36 to be carried home again.

One point. ''Tis an F-84

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

D'OH. Habit. It started with an F-84E, then upgraded to a YF-96/F-84F.

I'm so used to writing F-86 I didn't even catch that.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The XF-85 was another attempt at a parasite fighter.

XF-85 Goblin

Almost killed the test pilot on the first attempted hookup.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
First try 1910..
Wikipedia link

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So back to Cosmic Girl, the testing will be divided into four segments. Phase One will be clean performance of the aircraft without a pylon or anything installed. Phase two will be performance with the pylon attached. Phase three will be carrying an empty rocket for the first part, and carrying a rocket filled with water for the second part. Phase four will carry a full up, fueled rocket.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian

Having watched a video from the chase plane on that test, I'm amazed that it didn't kill the poor guy. That must have been just a little scary.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join