It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily thread limit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I'd like to propose that ATS considers a daily thread limit for members.

We have a few members who in my opinion have been spamming the boards with many asinine threads on superfluous topics and many times on the same topic over and over again.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way.

I'm not saying to start sensoring folks. But maybe set a cap of no more than 2 threads per forum a day for any member.

I believe this might help the new topics and live feed pages become less polluted with these redundant threads that add nothing to their topics.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I can see why people would be against this idea, I'm split on it, but I am leaning in favor of a limit. I feel like this would encourage people to put more time and effort into the threads they ARE able to produce in any given day. This could also give others a chance to start a thread and OP a topic they otherwise would just be a contributor to.

It's a nice suggestion IMO.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

The standards were once higher.
Membership drifted and so a rethink came into play.

Just my opinion ... It cost me 2c and a bunch of ATS points !

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'd like to propose that ATS considers a daily thread limit for members.

I'd like to propose that ATS considers banning you for coming up with that asinine idea.

This City was built on Rock n Roll, not mundane silence...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

my observation of the blisteringly obvious :

if you limit a spam munkie to " 2 threads per sub / day " it will make spam worse - as its later threads will get even further off topic for the sub they end up in

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

2 threads per forum would still be over 200 possible threads per day from a single member.

It would help cut down on someone spamming the mud pit. I'm kinda split on the idea. It has some ups and some downs.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Eh, let free speech reign. Easier to find posters you won't check out in the future.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
It's a difficult one.

Maybe we rely on the alert function to alert the mods of any serial spam.

Or try and coax out a bit of substance from the OP through the method of leading replies?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Nobody mentioned music as being an issue. Please stay on topic.

If you can't I'd like to invite you to ban yourself from the remainder of your life.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Nah. If they are the same they are closed and redirected to the original. Sometimes there's different issues dealing with one subject.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

We have a few members who in my opinion have been spamming the boards with many asinine threads on superfluous topics and many times on the same topic over and over again.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Adds redundant thread about the decline of civilization.

I agree though.

Short attention spans can't remember what they said 7 seconds ago, their 'devices' have a four line limit, so do their shallow memory drain pans.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Eh, let free speech reign. Easier to find posters you won't check out in the future.

Agreed. I prefer a fully open forum since I have the ability to select and read whatever I want. I will accept the trade-off of additional scrolling through threads I don't want to see to avoid the risk of over-moderating or censorship.

What would be nice would be an option for members to "hide" or "ignore" certain posters that are repeat offenders. That would free up my list and improve my experience without requiring the addition of another party in the position of deciding what I should be allowed to see or read. [NOTE: If such a function to hide or ignore users already exists, I apologize for my technical ignorance and would greatly appreciate assistance on how to use this feature.]

edit on 19-7-2017 by Slave2theTruth because: I am a lazy fool that does not proofread before posting

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
This is not a good idea for many reasons. It's a better idea to post ban the people who are doing it.
I agree it's annoying.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Slave2theTruth

I will accept the trade-off of additional scrolling through threads I don't want to see to avoid the risk of over-moderating or censorship.

Then why dont you ? Instead of this ?

What would be nice would be an option for members to "hide" or "ignore" certain posters that are repeat offenders

I have found most members have something to contribute
Block em and you never get to see the gold ones...

link   

The partisan hack spammers end up creating multiple accounts and would still be able to make as many threads as they want.

link   
a reply to: angeldoll

That's pretty much what happens if they don't cool it after a nudge from the staff.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I appreciate the different points of view everyone has provided.

This morning's avalanche of madness was what caused me to make this thread. It was just an idea. I guess it's too much to hope that certain members will police themselves.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
a reply to: angeldoll

That's pretty much what happens if they don't cool it after a nudge from the staff.

Then get off your cute behind and git 'er done!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I guess it's too much to hope that certain members will police themselves.

Let the moderators do it, just give them the heads up. From some recent conversations I have had they are not able to proactively go after people you happen to suspect of being reincarnations of banned posters, they need you to give them a heads up. PM them or 'alert' the thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I

I guess it's too much to hope that certain members will police themselves.

Maybe they will have a "lightbulb" moment after reading this. But frankly the "gang posting" annoys me more.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join