It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Justine Damond shot dead by US police in Minneapolis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Australian Justine Damond shot dead by US police in Minneapolis

US police officers have shot dead an Australian woman who reportedly called 911 after hearing a noise near her home in Minneapolis.

Minnesota’s public safety department said a woman was shot in Minneapolis after two officers responded to a callout about a possible assault on Saturday at 11.30pm local time. The police officers did not have their body cameras turned on.

The woman has been named as Justine Damond, who ran meditation workshops at the Lake Harriet Spiritual Community. Damond, originally Justine Ruszczyk, used the name of the man she was due to marry in August, Don Damond, the local Star Tribune reported.

Source - Gaurdian

Minnesota Police Fatally Shot Australian Yoga Teacher

Also see: Star Tribune

Why were their cameras off? To top it off:

Minneapolis police are investigating, but their work has been hampered because the officers’ body cameras were switched off. The police department said the squad car's camera also failed to capture the incident.

Source - Telegraph

She was hit multiple times from the cop firing from their car. She came to the US and was aware of gun violence, ends up being killed by police.

I don't believe this has been shared yet. This was an innocent woman, no drugs, no actions towards cops, etc., that are known at this time. I'm sorry but no one speaks out for those accused small violations as it is when killed by police. Usually the police end up being in the right instead.
It's possible in this case, she was 100 percent innocent.

Then what? I'm asking all of you who usually support these types of reactions
by police.

First they came for the African American men who were abiding by the law...
Then they came for the marijuana smokers...

More info welcome as I'm looking further into this.

Rest in peace, in hopes of answers, closure and justice.
edit on 17-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: corrections

edit on 17-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: corrections2

edit on 17-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: url correction

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

This is the problem I have with BLM, they always say blacks are systematically being targeted by police yet they ignored that whites are also victims of police brutality too.

In fact there was one incident a few years ago where a white boy was shot by the police while he was holding a wii remote.

edit on 7/17/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Sorry double post
edit on 7/17/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Yeah, well, it's not just BLM(started for awareness of African Americans being killed by police BTW, at least they took a stand for themselves unlike Whites) but by White Americans ignoring their own being killed. I've seen many excuses while covering these stories over time. It's disgusting.
edit on 17-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Why the hell were they shooting at her? Suspiciously few details from the police on why they opened fire and why ALL the cameras were either off or didn't capture what happened. Now, all we have is the word of the officers who killed her as to what/why it happened.

www.kare11.com...

According to police sources, Noor shot across his partner and out the window of the squad car, striking Damond. When Noor opened fire, his partner was "stunned," according to the source.

Jesus, seriously? He shot across his partner from inside the car? She was standing at the window of the car, talking to the officer who was driving and he just shot her. Watch the video at the link.
Holy F**k

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well the cop that killed the white woman was black. Since blacks are eager to point that out all the time i think i'll just do the same because everybody is equal and such. Strangely MSM is ignoring the story because they can't fuel the hate of blacks for cops. Yeah they have no agenda at all.

I hope they solve the case and justice is served.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Sad state of affairs, trigger happy cop gets the blame this time.

She apparently called 911 to report a disturbance/assault/noise in the back lane.

Also shows the different philosophy for police, in the two countries.

In Aust. the cops would go straight to the person reporting the matter, maybe after a quick look in the lane, to get their statement.
In the US, they seem to go straight to the area to check if a crime is still being committed.

Different community attitudes too.

In Oz, you can walk straight up to a cop car, if they pull you over, and ask whats wrong Constable? etc.

In the US I believe you guys have to stay in your car, wave your licence around, hold your hands out the window in case you've got a gun or something....then they cuff you and throw you on the ground anyway.

I would think, in the Aussie way, she happened to be in the back alley investigating (we dont think everyone is bad), when she saw the cop car, then started to yell out at them, "Over here officer" or some Aussie thing, as she was walking towards them waving her arms, and of course the US officer saw her as some 6 foot 10 black assailant with a gun.....!!!!

We do love you guys, but you gotta do something about your society....dont ya think?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Yeah, well, it's not just BLM(started for awareness of African Americans being killed by police BTW, at least they took a stand for themselves unlike Whites) but by White Americans ignoring their own being killed. I've seen many excuses while covering these stories over time. It's disgusting.

Yeah great idea. If you point out that a black cop shot a white you're a racist and vice versa. End of discussion. You can't win with these people.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
Well the cop that killed the white woman was black. Since blacks are eager to point that out all the time i think i'll just do the same because everybody is equal and such. Strangely MSM is ignoring the story because they can't fuel the hate of blacks for cops. Yeah they have no agenda at all.

Seriously? They are eager? Yeah right, nice generalization, can you keep # post this trash out of the thread?

I highly doubt this shooting had to do with race. It's more of a misplaced ego, trigger fingers(no matter your race) and or bad training.

PS the MSM is not ignoring it. I just chose to not give add space to most of the MSM(Guardian is considered such BTW and has had a bad wrap with the Right lately).
edit on 17-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: thread*

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The cameras were off because my departments Dash Cams don't turn on until the Lights are turned on or until the officer opens the door to the cruiser. As for the body cams, they can either be manually turned on by the officers themselves, or they can have sensors on them that will automatically turn them on when an officer draws a firearm (those are much more expensive and most departments don't have them)

Unfortunately for this situation we do not have the full details yet since the Bureau of Criminal Investigation is now handling the case and they try to keep everything very hush hush. Now I always support the police and all of the cases like this. Now it is tough to come to a conclusion about why the officer shot as it is now being investigated, If he was in the wrong he should be prepared to be indicted and charged. We will just have to let this investigation play out.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Yeah great idea. If you point out that a black cop shot a white you're a racist and vice versa. End of discussion. You can't win with these people.

My post has nothing do with pointing out a black cop shooting her, in fact I didn't point that out in the OP. I mean COPS as a whole. Again I highly doubt this has to do with race.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

The officer did apologize(not that it will quell questions much, etc, investigation should ensue), but with such an action, shouldn't they have guidelines for them to not shoot from their vehicle? Sounds like intentional skirting of the law.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

See, this is where everyone goes way off the rails.

'Blacks' don't care if it's white cops or purple cops - they just want to stop getting killed by cops.

Why haven't 'whites' stepped up to decry the shootings of innocent 'whites' by cops?

We have a severe problem with police killings and it crosses skin color.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Suspiciously few details from the police on why they opened fire and why ALL the cameras were either off or didn't capture what happened.

Ohhh ... this is gonna piss people off when all is said ... I've just 'got that feeling' if you know what I mean.

Holy F**k

My first thought as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

See, this is where everyone goes way off the rails.

'Blacks' don't care if it's white cops or purple cops - they just want to stop getting killed by cops.

Why haven't 'whites' stepped up to decry the shootings of innocent 'whites' by cops?

We have a severe problem with police killings and it crosses skin color.

Exactly, you get it.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

a reply to: caf1550

The officer did apologize(not that it will quell questions much, etc, investigation should ensue), but with such an action, shouldn't they have guidelines for them to not shoot from their vehicle? Sounds like intentional skirting of the law.

Oh absolutely, I personally have no idea why the officer fired from the passenger seat, across his partners chest. In all my years of experience I have never heard of a reason for this situation here, it is highly dangerous. Most departments do have policy in place to quell this type of thing from happening, again i'm sure as the investigation continues we will learn more a more of what the officer possibly saw and was thinking.

As for him apologizing, in the grand scheme of things yes that is a nice thing to do but It will not change the evidence that is at the scene and it will not dictate how the investigation will go. The apology will not bring back the families loved one. Like I stated before if the officer is found to be in the wrong here he should fully prepare to be indicted and probably charged with 2nd Degree murder. I can admit when my brothers and sisters are in the wrong and so far the evidence that we have here says that we were wrong on this one.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The problem with police is that its SELF-SELECTION bias. All the #ed up psycho mother #ers who want power will gravitate towards CHOOSING THEMSELVES to have power of others. To kill. To harm. In the name of the law. Yes ultimately the police choose who gets in, but from all who are chosen, they have all chosen themselves to have power first. NEVER TRUST A COP. PSYCHOS. They should hang this mother #er.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Australian lives matter!!!

Cmon fellow Aussies, time to organise on facebook and get to looting, woot woot.

This is disgusting and I hope we get to the bottom of it. If they cover this up or excuse it Ill join any protest outside the US consulate in Melbs.

Seriously what was the trigger happy cop thinking, it was a 40 year old woman in her pyjamas ffs!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Because the issue is really non existent. The amount of shootings that are actually "bad" are few and far between. Not gonna get all mad and crazy over something that rarely happens.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Well well, more info coming out.

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges praised Officer Noor in May 2016 in a Facebook post where she called his joining the force a “wonderful sign of building trust and community policing at work.”

He is the first Somali officer to work in the 5th Precinct, according to a Minneapolis newsletter.

Source

He also had 2 complaints against him, but without know those details it could be nothing but someone who is just angry they got busted.

However, why would they call him Somalian instead of African American? Also, could this be a fast track case of putting someone into the force who wasn't properly prepared and trained in the name of virtue signaling?

No wonder there is so much silence.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join