It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada becomes 5th state in US to sell legal recreational cannabis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Nevada became the fifth state in the U.S. with stores selling marijuana for recreational purposes, opening a market early Saturday that is eventually expected to outpace any other in the nation thanks to the millions of tourists who flock to Las Vegas.

People began purchasing marijuana shortly after midnight, just months after voters approved legalization in November and marking the fastest turnaround from the ballot box to retail sales in the country.

Hundreds of people lined up at Essence Cannabis Dispensary on the Las Vegas Strip. People were excited and well-behaved as a lone security guard looked on. A valet was available to park the cars of customers.

A cheer erupted when the doors opened.

Link
I just wanted to say good job Nevada! Nevada has been in the past one of the toughest states on drug use, so it's good to see that most peoples attitudes there are changing.

However good a victory this is, we still have a long way to go. As we speak, Jeff Sessions' secret marijuana committee is meeting. What they decide to do will inevitably shape our country and our criminal justice system.

Regardless of the findings, I'm optimistic that Sessions and the rest of the Trump admin are too impotent at this point to really change state cannabis policy. Not to mention the political suicide it would be for this administration.

I'm proud to live in a state that has explicitly stated they won't abide by the Trump admins ideas on cannabis. My only hope is that more states grow a pair and stand up to the backward ideas of this administration.

It's an uphill battle, but the wind is surely at our backs. Be safe out there.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
A Constitutional crisis is coming. This issue along with a couple others (immigration, LBGTQ rights, etc) are creating the conditions for a major power play/conflict between the States and the Fed.

I say if the States like their autonomy they better legalize for no other reason than to keep what little control they still have.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
A Constitutional crisis is coming. This issue along with a couple others (immigration, LBGTQ rights, etc) are creating the conditions for a major power play/conflict between the States and the Fed.

I say if the States like their autonomy they better legalize for no other reason than to keep what little control they still have.

This is what I've been thinking as well. The cannabis issue is going to force these conversations.

And we need them now more than ever.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm one of those oddball pro-gun anti-marijuana liberals.

I hate drugs. I really do.

I hope some thing happens that reverses this legalisation of cannabis trend.

(FYI.. I'm all for medical applications country wide.. just hardcore against recreational use)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

(FYI.. I'm all for medical applications country wide.. just hardcore against recreational use)

I'm really curious, why are you against the legalization of cannabis?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

I'm really curious, why are you against the legalization of cannabis?

Because free and consenting adults - using their own resources, in their own time - shouldn't be allowed to excercise their freedoms because "drugs are baaaad, mmmkay," is what I expect.

Great news. Another win for freedom.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Imo this needs to happen to reduce organized crime. Gangs etc grow rich and powerful from the trade of illegal goods.

Look what prohibition of alcohol created: Al Capone, Kennedy's wealth zillions of examples.

I dislike drugs as well, but a free country needs freedom.
edit on 1-7-2017 by BlueJacket because: sp

edit on 1-7-2017 by BlueJacket because: Cant spell or proof read

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So you also want to make alcohol illegal right? If you don't then I really cannot understand your views. Both alcohol and tobacco are scientifically documented and proven to be significantly more dangerous than marijuana not only to our physical health, but to those around us. FFS so is a lifetime consumption of corn syrup.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I dislike drugs as well, but a free country needs freedom.

Exactly. It isn't the governments job to tell me what I can and can't do with my own body.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

I have wondered about that too.
States are ignoring many federal laws like immigration, drug regulation and gun restrictions.
Let a state restrict abortion though and people lose their minds.
Why can we pick and choose what laws we want to ignore?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Not so much of a good job.

They totally created a cluster F for the implementation.

They are now in a legal battle with the alcohol distributors over who will be the distribution authority for the dispensaries.

Other than that, it's been a long time coming for the State of Nevada.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Not so much of a good job.

They totally created a cluster F for the implementation.

They are now in a legal battle with the alcohol distributors over who will be the distribution authority for the dispensaries.

Other than that, it's been a long time coming for the State of Nevada.

It's crazy that alcohol distributors even have a say in it.

Crazy, or an example of people being paid off.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

With the way things have gone it's hard not to assume that money is changing hands here. The judge involved is a Carson City judge and since that whole county voted against legalization there also appears to be a hostile judge legislating from the bench.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Well considering alcohol distributors are mob run...and politicians are in the mobs pocket and this is Nevada...the mobs playground...Im guessing thats how the alcohol distributors have a voice.

Same problem the world over...cant let some new money maker not be under "their" control. Its how they maintain power and control.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

My wife drags me off to Vegas every couple of years. Maybe this time, I'll be doing the dragging.

edit on 2017-7-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

No it isn't.

There's no "mob run" in Nevada anymore and hasn't been for many years.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Really? Not that I'm doubting. Just that Mob control in Nevada is like a law of nature...

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

My father, whom I've never met In person has been in prison almost his whole life...

Crimes all eventually circling back to drug addiction

Addiction that all had it's start somewhere. He grew up in a household with a lax attitude towards marijuana.

That's not the only reason though..

I have yet to meet someone especially at this stage in life (late 20's) who still regularly uses marijuana recreationally and has their s*** together.

I feel like marijuana is often used as a crutch for the inability to generate internal happiness or used as a self medication took for dealing with your problems.

Additionally, smoking anything is a gross habit, period.

And lastly... It's a known fact that it makes you lazy (d ont go into the the whole indica/sativa argument.. trust me.. I'm plenty educated on it all)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: projectvxn

Really? Not that I'm doubting. Just that Mob control in Nevada is like a law of nature...

Nevada, decades ago, became a more corporate and family oriented type of place. Las Vegas isn't the glamorous diversion run by the likes of the mob anymore.

There's no Lucky Luciano types running things anymore.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: BlueJacket

No it isn't.

There's no "mob run" in Nevada anymore and hasn't been for many years.

I heard the mob still runs the cab business in vegas... hence why they were able to block uber and lift from being allowed to do airport pickups for some time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join