It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians Could Face Hate Crimes Over Using The Wrong Gender Pronouns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My, my, my. Look what is the news out of our fine neighbor to the north.

If you use the wrong gender pronouns, you are committing a hate crime, fined and jailed. All I can do shake my head in dis belief.

Canada passed a law Thursday making it illegal to use the wrong gender pronouns. Critics say that Canadians who do not subscribe to progressive gender theory could be accused of hate crimes, jailed, fined, and made to take anti-bias training.
Canada’s Senate passed Bill C-16, which puts “gender identity” and “gender expression” into both the country’s Human Rights Code, as well as the hate crime category of its Criminal Code by a vote of 67-11, according to LifeSiteNews. The bill now only needs royal assent from the House of Commons to pass into law.

"Great news". This is what the Justin Trudeau said about the passing of this bill. She (note the wrong use of pronoun) is proud of the new law.

“Great news,” announced Justin Trudeau, Canada’s prime minister. “Bill C-16 has passed the Senate – making it illegal to discriminate based on gender identity or expression. #LoveisLove.”

From the story it seems like the law is spurred from the transgender issue. Some say it is subjective, and others say regardless, it is infringing on citizen freedom of speech. What a mess freedom is.

dailycaller.com...
“[There’s an argument] that transgender identity is too subjective a concept to be enshrined in law because it is defined as an individual’s deeply felt internal experience of gender,” said Grant Mitchell, a conservative senator, in November 2016. “Yet we, of course, accept outright that no one can discriminate on the basis of religion, and that too is clearly a very deeply subjective and personal feeling.”

Jordan Peterson, a professor at the University of Toronto, and one of the bill’s fiercest critics, spoke to the Senate before the vote, insisting that it infringed upon citizens’ freedom of speech and institutes what he views as dubious gender ideology into law.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
O Canada, you deserve to reap what you sow

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

What are you talking about?

Maple syrup, hockey, car parts and better healthcare outcomes than the US at 45% of the cost. What have they done?
edit on 16-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Justin sounds like your typical lib, legislating political correctness and threatening jail if you don't conform.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: clodbuster

Even worse is the violence if you disagree.

Weaponized libs are the worst.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Sigh.

I have alot of pride being born and raised here..

but beyond that.. WTF CANADA?!

My city especially, is becoming the socially (extreme) progressive capital of the world.

If it isn't already..

Help...

edit on 16-6-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
NO surprise considering that Canada elected Castro's son...

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Pendulums swing both ways.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

NO!!!

It is, "What are you talking aboot"!!

Sorry, drinking beer after a long week.

That seems a waste of resources btw.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
NO surprise considering that Canada elected Castro's son...

Haha, there's debate about that, Margeret Trudeau was doing Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones at about the time Justin was conceived. Could be Ronnies offspring instead of Fidels.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hate speech laws are directly contrast to the principle of free speech.

Incidentally my correct pronoun is "his imperial majesty" please address me as such or off to prison with you.
edit on -050011pm6kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Not much rooting factor there ... A classic rocker vs a Commie...

I think I would root for ... the one who gathered no moss

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

What's the legal precedent? Was it already illegal to walk around the mall and call men miss and women mister?

You dont want people to like you this kind of stuff right here is exactly the way to go about.

Especially since half of them you cant necessarily be sure what they should be called!

link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Sigh.

I have alot of pride being born and raised here..

but beyond that.. WTF CANADA?!

My city especially, is becoming the socially (extreme) progressive capital of the world.

If it isn't already..

Help...

You in Vancouver?

link   
Have fun with that.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Look at the bill. It looks like it's referring to employers and discrimination cases, if I'm reading it right. Not like you'll go to court if you call your neighbor "ma'am."

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Leave it to the legalese translators to try and explain why there's no harm in this legislation that they craftily worded, so to put you to sleep when they raise the SJW hammer over your bleeding head..

edit on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 23:10:09 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Toronto.

And just to elaborate on my assessment.

In the past year alone:

Anti-islamophobia laws - crime to discriminate against Muslims.

Gender laws - if you don't agree with your kids choice of gender you can lose them.

And now this..

There's probably more that I'm not yet aware of..

This is NOT the way to do it... This is ORWELLIAN disguised as a freedom loving utopia!!

edit on 16-6-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
So does this mean Canada stole the "Most Crazy Country in North America" crown from the United States?!?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Very true.

And I subscribe to the idea that it is up to the person to do what ever they want. And doing that is going to put the trans person in a very select group of people who get stared at and get extra attention. Humans are visual creatures.

In reality I would do my best to be respectful of the person's choice, but mistakes are going to happen. And putting a hard core law is the wrong move.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join