It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians Could Face Hate Crimes Over Using The Wrong Gender Pronouns

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Take 10 minutes and watch the video. If you can't identify a problem, with shiny new phrases and combative trans. I pity you if you own a business. One of these militants will own it for you for a comment or peripheral trans hating.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: peck420
Harassment is a ambiguous term and is ripe for abuse.

No it isn't. It is a clearly defined section of Canadian law that requires proof for conviction.

Criminal harassment

264 (1) No person shall, without lawful authority and knowing that another person is harassed or recklessly as to whether the other person is harassed, engage in conduct referred to in subsection (2) that causes that other person reasonably, in all the circumstances, to fear for their safety or the safety of anyone known to them.
Marginal note
rohibited conduct

(2) The conduct mentioned in subsection (1) consists of

(a) repeatedly following from place to place the other person or anyone known to them;

(b) repeatedly communicating with, either directly or indirectly, the other person or anyone known to them;

(c) besetting or watching the dwelling-house, or place where the other person, or anyone known to them, resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or

(d) engaging in threatening conduct directed at the other person or any member of their family.

Source

Note the use of the term 'repeatedly'.

The crown must prove that the charged individual has repeatedly committed the offense (actus reus), with intent (mens rea), and must do so above reasonable doubt. Every Canadian criminal conviction must meet these requirements. (Laying charges requires actus reus and mens rea, conviction requires beyond reasonable doubt).

The law has been in effect since 1993 and has yet to face any major issues of abuse.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Take 10 minutes and watch the video. If you can't identify a problem, with shiny new phrases and combative trans. I pity you if you own a business. One of these militants will own it for you for a comment or peripheral trans hating.

Right...
Just like back when civil rights were 'the end of society'. I think you need to be a little opened minded.

I believe, live and let live is the term for civilized societies such as here in Canada where we value EVERYONE and not be exclusive with out human rights. You are a prime example of THEM and US mentality.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I also believe in live and let live.

Militant trans do not want to live and let live. Seems like wearing ones sexual identity on the shirt sleeve is very popular . As seen in the video, this is not a mentally healthy way to live. And hypersensitivity rules the day.
edit on 17-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Does this work the same way as affirmative action?

That was supposed to help too.

I understand and want people who have trans issues to live a full and happy life. The problem arises when everything is offensive. And when someone is offended by everything (see video) the law will be weaponized and used. And it matters not if they are successful, all they need to use it a s a threat.
edit on 17-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
NO surprise considering that Canada elected Castro's son...

I do believe he is Castro's son ... if anyone has those pics of the two floating around the net.. you'll understand. He's almost a dead ringer for Castro as a young man.

I didn't vote for him and knew all his ' promises' would bring us into extreme debt. I just wasn't prepared for his total lack of security for this country as well as for it's neighbor. Canada really needs to step up on it's vetting system as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
you just cant take canada too seriously. there is a reason for the "nicest people in the western world" stereotypes. the memes are everywhere. personally, i have this scenario in my head where theres an abbot and costello style back and forth between the plaintiff, defendant, a couple of cops, and a judge where they keep getting pronouns confused and accidentally making fun of how serious the situation is being taken before making fun of how apologetic they are that the situation is being made fun of. good stuff.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I also believe in live and let live.

Militant trans do not want to live and let live. Seems like wearing ones sexual identity on the shirt sleeve is very popular . As seen in the video, this is not a mentally healthy way to live. And hypersensitivity rules the day.

Hypersensitivity?
You are extremely hypocritical right now. Who is the hyper sensitive one being triggered by giving people basic human rights because it's not within YOUR values.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Apparently transgender people shouldn't be allowed to qualify as people (legally protected as humans under the Human Rights Act) due to the small percentage of militant trans who may or may not abuse this new amendment.

I'm not sure if the OP stole his slippery slope arguments from the early 1900's when women were fighting for their rights to be recognized as humans and demanding the right to vote....

Or if he stole his slippery slope arguments from the 1960's when blacks were fighting for their rights to be recognized as humans and demanding their civil rights....

It's hard to tell.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I would not say I am triggered, we are having a civil discussion. This is the second time you have scolded me for this, it hasn't and won't happen.

Try again.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
you just cant take canada too seriously. there is a reason for the "nicest people in the western world" stereotypes. the memes are everywhere. personally, i have this scenario in my head where theres an abbot and costello style back and forth between the plaintiff, defendant, a couple of cops, and a judge where they keep getting pronouns confused and accidentally making fun of how serious the situation is being taken before making fun of how apologetic they are that the situation is being made fun of. good stuff.

😂😂😂

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Does this work the same way as affirmative action?

That was supposed to help too.

I understand and want people who have trans issues to live a full and happy life. The problem arises when everything is offensive. And when someone is offended by everything (see video) the law will be weaponized and used. And it matters not if they are successful, all they need to use it a s a threat.

No, this doesn't work like affirmative action. Thankfully.

This is something that doesn't even apply unless you have already been successfully convicted for a crime.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Abbott & Costello Who's On First

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

a reply to: clodbuster

Even worse is the violence if you disagree.

Weaponized libs are the worst.

What violence are you talking about? People aren't going to be jailed just because they used the wrong gender term for a person. The law is more in place for government, businesses and other organizations so that they can't use gender identity as a reason for termination, lack of representation, or hiring practices.

Case in point, a couple of years ago a man went into a gay bar and assaulted a patron of the bar because he was gay. A pretty clear cut case of a hate crime. The courts didn't charge him with a hate crime but regular assault. Our courts don't get suddenly power hungry just because a law is passed or amended.

As for the victim of the crime above, he suffered permanent brain damage and can no longer care for himself and will be living out the rest of his days in a care home.

There is violence in Canada but not in the way you are suggesting.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Edit to add - I did not name this video and the use of the word 'retard' is offensive to me.

Just throwing this out there...

So now it's our fault tans are killing themselves because we wont call them by their personal pronouns?

We need a name for trans-snowflakes.

peace

edit on 1006Saturday201713 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Debating stupidity is a bad idea. Stupid people are the long distance runners of the SJW's.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Funny how it is included as a hate crime.

Canada’s Senate passed Bill C-16, which puts “gender identity” and “gender expression” into both the country’s Human Rights Code, as well as the hate crime category

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

But that doesn't mean that the charge will automatically be a hate crime.

Two gay men were assaulted outside a club with the perpetrators calling them f*ggots and faeries as they stomped on them and they didn't get charged with a hate crime either. Hate crimes are very rarely pursued in Canada and are saved for particularly heinous situations. Calling someone she when they are a he is not going to land you in jail with a hate crime charge on your record.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

a reply to: silo13

Debating stupidity is a bad idea. Stupid people are the long distance runners of the SJW's.

""Civil"" discussion. Yup, calling people stupid is real civil.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

At least I can't be jailed or fined for calling someone stupid. Or does that fall under the Canadian law?

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join