It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump working with his favorite daughter signs EO to expand apprenticeship programs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Trump working to create 4.5 million more apprenticeships. Personally, I think this is the right approach. Today too many young people are focused on university and college, specifically on 4 year programs. Personally, I know very few of my classmates actually doing the job they studied to do at university or college. Bernie Sanders plan to provide free university or college to every young person is not realistic. It would cost too much and, if every person has a four year degree, there would be nothing so special about four year degrees. There's a good old Chinese saying, value comes from rarity. College is not for everyone. Apprenticeship provides students with the best chance to actually do the job they were trained to do. Personally, I think out of every 10 young people, college to apprenticeship ratio should be something like 2 to 8.

www.cnn.com...

edit on 15-6-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have absolutely no idea how this statement could possibly be construed as a negative:

Today too many young people are focused on university and college, specifically on 4 year programs.

Too many young people are focused on higher education? And this is a bad thing?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

I think this is an idea that is WAY past due. One of the reasons millenials are so unhappy is that they were almost all taught that college was the only and best option. Teaching a young man an actual skill that he is proud of is probably one of the number one ways to decrease criminal activity.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Oh no... inner city Democrats just pooped their pants!

They might have to work hard and master a skill!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

It is a bad idea. Three reasons.

1. It lowers the threshold in higher education. The more students you have the more there is a natural pull to lower expectations.

2. The higher the student population in universities the more it becomes a diploma factory acting more like a business than an educational facility.

3. Most young men are not geared to this sort of learning. Most young men are visual learners. As such, an actual trade is better for them in many ways.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Fake headline.

"Is favorite daughter" is not mentioned anywhere in the story you linked to.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Right. The more students per professor, the less the quality of college education.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
I have absolutely no idea how this statement could possibly be construed as a negative:

Well when the degree has the same economic worth as the paper it's printed on it is a negative.
We already have a large portion of degree holders out there not working in their field of study. How is giving more people degrees going to solve this problem?

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This is wonderful. And may be the first thing Trump has done that I fully support!

I hope this is just the beginning of new approaches to educating/training our kids. I'd love to see shop classes and other vocational training brought back to our high schools. If I had my druthers, every high school student would learn and be proficient in at least one marketable skill upon graduation.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed...

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

Well when the degree has the same economic worth as the paper it's printed on it is a negative.
We already have a large portion of degree holders out there not working in their field of study. How is giving more people degrees going to solve this problem?

Well-said. Just look at some of the degrees offered by Liberal Arts colleges, degrees like "Gender Studies"

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Yea it's not as easy as just 'creating' apprenticeships. You can throw all sorts of money at it. But at the end of the day employers need to be willing to take on said apprentice.
Took me 2 years to find a decent placement, and I still got laid off. And have not found one since. I know LOTS of tradespeople who are in same situation as me.

Unless you're willing to work long hard hours in the middle of no where, or work over time out he wazoo, good luck.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Today too many young people are focused on university and college, specifically on 4 year programs.

Considering that a not so insignificant portion of college students require remedial classes their freshman year, I'd say college should not be the focus...

Most Colleges Enroll Students Who Are Not Ready for College

There is nothing wrong with college. Heck, I have a graduate degree. However, it isn't for everyone. More importantly, these kids shouldn't be going into massive debt either to get degrees that are fairly worthless in the real world.

I know of a gal who is just now getting her first job. She makes $61k/yr. Her student loan balance is $325,000! WTF? She couldn't afford to pay that if it were amortized over 30 years like a mortgage. She will never be able to pay that money back.

Face it, a lot of students, particularly those in areas with poor public school systems are simply not cut out or ready for college. However, if they could get a real job/apprenticeship learning an actual skill, they cold be making good money by the time they are 20, 21 years old. Far more than they'd make going to some third tier college majoring in Art History.

Even though I have a graduate degree and a successful career, I sometimes wish I picked up a trade. I enjoy working with my hands, building things, etc.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I know what you're saying and it's also an easy opportunity for employers to take advantage of people for cheap labour.

However, as long as it's properly regulated and constantly worked on to get the best possible outcome for the employer and the employee then it can be a very good thing.

I genuinely believe that Trump wants to get young people jobs. Anyone who thinks this is a bad initiative just hates Trump.

If President Trump gave every poor person in the United States a million dollars, they would still find a way to twist it as a bad thing because Trump...
edit on 15-6-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: Constantly

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Regulation isn't the answer, a strong workforce with a good position for negotiation is the answer. If more people have better jobs then the employers have to be willing to sacrifice more to acquire the talent they want.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

When I say regulation, I mean ensuring that young people don't get the piss taken out of them for cheap labour.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

This sound great to me. There are many ways to educate a person and learning by doing is an excellent type.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

This is a wonderful idea and direction for the country.

I know I learned more in my first year on the job than I did in four years of university 'education'.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Apprenticeships are awesome. They are one of the most ancient ways to teach people a craft.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
College isn't the best path for everyone and it was never meant to be - skilled workers are in high demand in a lot of fields.
Mike Rowe gives a pretty fair assessment of the situation in this clip -

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Some people go into massive debt when they are not well suited for a college classroom, a trade skill is a good option for people who are better at working with their hands, than sitting in a classroom regurgitating whatever teacher tells them is important.

Very very happy to read about a push for alternative career paths, rather than 4 yrs to sit in acubicle and hate your options.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join