It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan House Passes Bills Allowing Concealed Pistol Carry Without a License

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Well folks color me surprised in Michigan, but we've just passed 4 bills that allow legal US gun owners to carry their concealed pistols, without all the BS paperwork, and fees.

I guess we now have the same rights as criminals that are allowed to carry theirs whenever they deem necessary. My only grip is that I believe people do need proper training and range time to learn how to use their weapon.

www.detroitnews.com...

Looks like someone is constitutional friendly these days and has our backs.

Lansing — Any legal firearm owner could carry a concealed gun without a permit or mandatory training under a controversial plan the Michigan House approved Wednesday.

The House passed the four-bill package in a series of votes mostly along party lines that prompted spirited debate. Supporters said it would extend constitutional rights to gun owners, while opponents argued it would endanger public safety without current rules required under the state’s 17-year-old concealed carry law.

Proponents argue that the legislation protects and upholds Second Amendment rights and scraps what they say amounts to a coat tax: a $100 permit application fee, a fingerprint fee and another $115 every four years to renew the license. Required gun training classes can also cost hundreds of dollars, a barrier to exercising a freedom enshrined in the state and federal constitutions, gun advocates said.

Wait a second these kinds of statements were never said on ATS ever. lol

“Criminals do not obey the law. Criminals don’t obey the gun laws we have now. And criminals won’t obey the new gun laws we pass. That is why they’re called criminals,” Chatfield said.

“I wholeheartedly believe allowing law-abiding citizens to have the same freedoms that criminals already do in this state will make our communities safer,” he said.

edit on 8-6-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

You know, or perhaps not, this is kind of a double edged sword, or at least it has been in Texas. In Texas, the cops openly tell people that they, i.e., the people are primarily responsible for their own safety and point out that the cops cant be everywhere all the time.

Its always been true of course, but the difference is that the cops have all but abandonned community policing and response times have gone noticeably higher as the cops wait till the smoke clears to respond to a 911 call. They are now nothing more than a clean-up crew.

I guess the upside is that crime has gone down quite a bit except in the major metro areas. The crooks know the rural population and the suburbanites are armed to the teeth.

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I can't say that I disagree with their thought process.
I guess it sort of levels the playing field as everyone will assume that everyone else is packing?
The criminals and law abiding citizens alike.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
What?!?!?!?!?! Right now?? I am in MI!

Awwww it hasn't passed yet.. Senate is next. Still good news though.
edit on 8-6-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Anyone have an idea at the odds of the senate passing this the rest of the way?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I'm not in Michigan, just curious.
How will this change your life or day to day actions. What will you do differently or what impact will it have if it is passed?
I wonder if the local chain stores have stocked up on their holster inventory?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Soooooo.. I could come over the ocean and buy a gun. Just like that. Without any license, auth etc.?

Why would they allow this?

Would you cry out in panic if I were of muslim faith?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I am very torn by this. I am proud of Michigan for strengthening our 2A rights.......and it scares the living sh** out of me to think there are folks out there carrying a deadly weapon with absolutely no training in when/where and how to use it.

link   
I hope they level the odds and give children guns too. Real cowboys and Indians in the playground.

link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Soooooo.. I could come over the ocean and buy a gun. Just like that. Without any license, auth etc.?

You still have to pass a federal background check. All this is doing is making it so that you do not have to pay the bribe money to the government first.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: beachbound

I'm not in Michigan, just curious.
How will this change your life or day to day actions. What will you do differently or what impact will it have if it is passed?
I wonder if the local chain stores have stocked up on their holster inventory?

Nothing different really. I qualify to get a permit, I just cannot afford it right now. This will fix that.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

No. You can't. You are not an American citizen and as a visitor, you do not have the right to own a weapon, without some very special circumstances. Educate yourself, before you try to make it look like America is still the Wild West.

Why do you try to perpetuate this idea that American streets are running with blood caused by gun owners and that anyone can just walk out of a gun store with any weapon they choose,with no restrictions?
I have carried a weapon for decades and still haven't had to shoot someone or been shot myself, because to paraphrase a great man, "You can say stop or alto or any other word you think might work, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is a universal language" I have never seen someone shoot themselves either. Granted, I don't hang out with idiots, but still, I've been around more than my share of good 'ol boys and they still have the common sense to not point a deadly weapon at each other.
edit on 8-6-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Gun laws only affect the people that you don't have to worry about in the first place.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Reword the headline, then.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

You can't buy a gun without a license you still need to go through the proper background check. This law is to allow people that are law abiding citizens to carry the guns they bought legally.

Did you read the first line of the quote in the OP?

Any legal firearm owner could carry a concealed gun without a permit or mandatory training under a controversial plan the Michigan House approved Wednesday.

edit on 8-6-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: beachbound

Wont change mine. Just watch my back moreso than now.

MS

Michigan Licensed Concealed Carrier

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Gotchya.
I think it would make me feel safer, depending on where I lived and frequented, to be able to carry legally. I think it does sort of level the field especially if the cost of carrying legally is preventing someone from doing so. Criminals and people with the intent to do harm don't worry about those sort of things do they? The cost of a permit I mean.

Just noticed that I am able to use the little flag thing now so, flag for you!
edit on 8-6-2017 by beachbound because: observation

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Gun laws only affect the people that you don't have to worry about in the first place.

And this, right here, is a fundamental concept that most people don't seem to understand.

Before I had a permit, if I walked around with a pistol in my work bag, I was a felon. I could lose my right to own a firearm, and spend years in prison- be fined tens of thousands of dollars if I were caught.
Criminals will do it if they feel the need to carry a gun in a bag... they don't follow the laws in the first place. That's why they're criminals.

Me, I had to spend a lot of time and money getting a permit so that I don't get my life ruined over keeping a certain tool in my bag...

So, now that I have a permit, I'm not going to get my life ruined for doing the exact same thing I would have done before that could have landed me in jail.

As far as I can tell, that means that any law preventing the proper care and use of a firearm is just the first step to extortion, the second step being allowing basic rights IF you pay the price.

I feel infringed.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

a reply to: DAVID64

Reword the headline, then.

Why should he? I'm British and I knew exactly what the title meant as soon as I read it.

He doesn't need to change the title because of your ignorance.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

...but we've just passed 4 bills that allow legal US gun owners to carry their concealed pistols, without all the BS paperwork, and fees.

"Legal" gun owners In Michigan? What about Detroit?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Criminals will do it if they feel the need to carry a gun in a bag... they don't follow the laws in the first place. That's why they're criminals.

You mean for instance a dope courier? He's committing a bigger crime carrying dope, the gun he protects himself with is for other criminals that want to rip him off...

Not to shoot at police or civilians.

Once he agrees to the greater criminal activity, whatever it may be, the lesser charge of concealed weapon doesn't matter, so much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join