It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan House Passes Bills Allowing Concealed Pistol Carry Without a License

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I am very torn by this. I am proud of Michigan for strengthening our 2A rights.......and it scares the living sh** out of me to think there are folks out there carrying a deadly weapon with absolutely no training in when/where and how to use it.

I wonder how long this will take to be repealed?

Probably after a bar fight turns into an old west style shoot out and innocent by standers get killed.

I wonder how the cops feel about this? They hate getting involved in active shooter situations and everyone having a piece makes that a very likely situation in all types of altercations.

edit on 8-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: DAVID64

Reword the headline, then.

Ok, I think there is some miscommunication here. In the US, most states require a special license to carry a weapon. Some are called carry permits and some are concealed carry permits, but in all cases you have to get a background check and pay a fee, and in some states (like Texas) you also have to qualify at the range. This law is simply saying that if you can pass the background checks to get/buy a gun, then you can carry. In other words, it is no longer illegal to carry your firearm (except in places where they are prohibited).

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

a reply to: DAVID64

Reword the headline, then.

two things, 1, it ins't his thread, and 2, you don't understand the language, so why bother?

Concealed carry is something you do AFTER you legally purchase a firearm. It's a choice to carry your weapon out in the open, or hidden, or not carry one at all. This law, enables the gun owner to not need additional licensing to make that choice, whereas before it was a law that you had to go through a class, pay a fee, and have additional checks done. (something I am in favor of sans the fee)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I am very torn by this. I am proud of Michigan for strengthening our 2A rights.......and it scares the living sh** out of me to think there are folks out there carrying a deadly weapon with absolutely no training in when/where and how to use it.

Probably after a bar fight turns into an old west style shoot out and innocent by standers get killed.

I wonder how the cops feel about this? They hate getting involved in active shooter situations and everyone having a piece makes that a very likely situation in all types of altercations.

not sure, there is always the option to relax you knee and give this some time to see how it goes. Or you could fly off the handle and sound like a paranoid shut-in.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

We passed this in Maine a year or two back, it was pushed through by the chief of police and as far as I know there hasn't been a single incident- although I heard a bank robbery was stopped with no one hurt last fall by a faithful CCW person. No verification though.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

not sure, there is always the option to relax you knee and give this some time to see how it goes. Or you could fly off the handle and sound like a paranoid shut-in.

Paranoid shut in....lol I have a CCL as does my gf. I guess i'm just a romantic; gave her a sweet BU9 for her Bday. But I don't trust most people to use good sense when faced with a stressful situation and alcohol. Right we shall see....
edit on 8-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I wonder how the cops feel about this?

They should start up prohibition too, then there won't be any chance for this, but you're right welcome back to the wild west.

Spittoons will become fashionable again.
edit on 8-6-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

I cant reply with anything other than, "Yeah! What he said!!!"
Youve said it all perfectly! Maybe some of the retailers can set up a quick safety course for the purchasers. It wont pass as full out training, but the last thing we need is a bunch of people who cant even operate a firearm carrying one.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I have not read the details but as a licensed CCL individual I do not like the idea that "anyone" can easily carry firearms.

It's one thing to buy a firearm and go through the process and keep at home but it is very different being able to legally walk around with a firearm with no license, background check, and training.

I went through a mandatory training class that helped to educate me about many things related to the responsibility of carrying a firearm. Had I not gone through this training there are many things I would not have known like:

1. When you pull the magazine out there may still be a bullet in the chamber.
2. How to insure you don't fire your weapon until you are ready to.
3. Scenerio's when pulling a firearm in public are deemed legal.

This list goes on.

I for one want to be safe but I don't want the wild west where just anyone without training can walk around with a concealed weapon.

If this passes I can see a few peckers shot off, a bunch of accidental shootings, and worse!

Thats my two cents!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

...but we've just passed 4 bills that allow legal US gun owners to carry their concealed pistols, without all the BS paperwork, and fees.

"Legal" gun owners In Michigan? What about Detroit?

There are plenty of legal gun owners in Detroit.
In fact, the Detroit police chief has said many times that he advocates law abiding citizens to arm themselves.
The Detroit police response times are not the greatest but they are getting slightly better, Chief Craig knows this and he is trying to get citizens to help out.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

"Citizens" as well as cops avoid that section of Detroit, the place I was referring to.

Edit: And I agree, the citizens better arm themselves, the cops won't do it, they protect the Establishment.
edit on 8-6-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real

I cant reply with anything other than, "Yeah! What he said!!!"
Youve said it all perfectly! Maybe some of the retailers can set up a quick safety course for the purchasers. It wont pass as full out training, but the last thing we need is a bunch of people who cant even operate a firearm carrying one.

Just had a idea pop into my head, or flew out of my ass, one of the two.

The government could subsidize a program(they waste money on everything else). Where a first time gun buyer could get X percent(or X dollars off) a gun by taking a free safety course.

There is worse ways to spend tax money.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Had I not gone through this training there are many things I would not have known like:

When you pull the magazine out there may still be a bullet in the chamber.

Anyone who own a firearm with a detachable magazine needs to understand that one. Public carry ability doesn't matter.

Glad you are still with us.
edit on 6/8/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Seems reasonable. They gave us films on VD and duck and cover.

Of course if it was mandatory, the stuff would hit the fan though.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
does not make me feal safer at all at 51 still just dont feal the need for a gun .
Most of the time you wont even know you need one till the event has already happened .
That being said this bill has my vote . One thing will always be true criminals already carry without primits or traing Unless you call gang wars training .

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Soooooo.. I could come over the ocean and buy a gun. Just like that. Without any license, auth etc.?

Why would they allow this?

Would you cry out in panic if I were of muslim faith?

In a word, NO

You would have to get a state drivers lic or state ID card
And you would have to pass a state/federal background check.

Or you could buy it from a criminal and face a long prison time and a felony if you can not prove YOU did not steal it.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Missouri passed a similar law that just went into effect.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

I would contend that most of the people interested in doing this have already been trained in various courses.

A Hunter safety course is required if you were born after January 1, 1960 and you want to purchase ANY Michigan hunting license, or if you are planning an out-of-state hunting trip.

This covers firearm safety although it does concentrate on shotgun and rifle safety. When I went through it, many years ago it was a two week course put on by the DNR and the NRA.

Many people have also been trained through military service, myself among them.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

OK.. I never cared about concealed carry before, because it never affected my state (Illinois). But I was born/raised in Michigan and go back to visit frequently.

Before now, what did a person have to do to carry his/her gun in Michigan? I carried one in my car when I was 16. Didn't need to fill out any paperwork. Last year, a lady accidentally killed herself carrying a concealed weapon in her bosom.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join