It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arms shipments from the US to Syrian Kurds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The United States said on Tuesday it started distributing arms to Syrian Kurdish militia battling to help retake the city of Raqqa from Islamic State, moving ahead with a war plan that has angered NATO ally Turkey.

Pentagon spokesman Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway said the Kurdish fighters received small arms and vehicles from the U.S. military. He believed the arms were distributed earlier on Tuesday

source

Clearly the Turks won't be happy and their say on this could be interesting. Out of all the groups that the US has armed the Kurds are probably the only ones you can justify giving aid to.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Turkey can suck it. Erdogan is a dictator and the Turkish refine stolen oil from Iraq and Syria. He's pissed because we're about to arm people who want to kill his ISIS oil pirates.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason

Turkey can suck it. Erdogan is a dictator and the Turkish refine stolen oil from Iraq and Syria. He's pissed because we're about to arm people who want to kill his ISIS oil pirates.

totally agree. The bravery and dignity the Kurds display in their fight against isis every day makes me hope they get a fair shake in the future.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Fast forward four years....

The headline will read- "US forces are being shot at by arms we dilivered four years ago".

Either we're not learning or we knew all along.

(I accidentally posted in the second thread about this first, so I copied it here.)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The Kurds have been our friends for a long time. And I mean over a century.

We love the KRG. Period. They are total badasses too. Kurdish women have killed as many Daesh as the men. They are highly respected by US servicemen and contractors alike.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

I'm not questioning the loyalty of the Kurds. In fact, they are beyond loyal as we haven't always been as loyal to them as they have been to us.

That being said, much of those arms may be grabbed by opponents.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Copy that. I didn't understand that from your other post.

That's a fair concern to have. The fights between ISIS and the Kurdish are long and drawn out. Claiming, losing, then reclaiming many of the same territories over and over again. As such a lot of arms and equipment gets traded back and forth too.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

It has happened in most of our wars in the last 17 years. Most recently in Yemen when the regime fell and we left our embassy, we assume we lost $500mn in everything from guns, a million rounds of ammo, a few helicopters, humvees and even a recon plane.

Washington Post

And we all know of Afghanistan biting us twice, first with the formation of Al Queda, who we essentially fully funded and then the formation of ISIS from all over the region we left a void in.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

We need to arm our enemies so it's not immoral when we smoke 'em.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Should we thank Trump or Obama?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Clearly the Turks won't be happy and their say on this could be interesting. Out of all the groups that the US has armed the Kurds are probably the only ones you can justify giving aid to.

Not really. The Kurds are playing all sides. Also, the Kurdish/Syrian alliance fell apart last summer. The Kurds are no longer fighting ISIS. In fact, the Kurds are now helping ISIS in its campaign against the Syrian government for its own selfish interest.

Perhaps this is why the US is now arming the Kurds..?

The Reuters article (source) is only words—propaganda. It is a VERY short article that provides absolutely no data and links.

"US-backed Kurdish forces allow ISIS to escape Raqqa towards Palmyra [but Russian air force destroys them]".

I know the source is RT, but the video footage is still real...

"Empire Uses Kurds as Pawns in its Imperial Pursuits in Syria: Part Two of a series."

www.globalresearch.ca...

Btw, Part One is a good read as well...

"U.S. “Military Aid” to Al Qaeda, ISIS-Daesh: Pentagon Uses Illicit Arms Trafficking to Channel Enormous Shipments of Light Weapons into Syria."

www.globalresearch.ca...

Much *data* in the above link. You see the difference between the above link and Reuters—the source for your OP?

For future reading that paints how complex and messy geopolitics can be:

www.globalresearch.ca...

Keep in mind these are just doorways...

top topics

join