It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One thing I like about Millennials

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
There is a lot to complain about with every generation however there is one thing I like about Millennials (myself being the older Millennial), they don't take # in the workplace and they want better wages.

Some random website you won't like.

Yes, it can be irritating to hear our younger colleagues complain of hurt feelings. But millennials aren’t wrong to expect a kinder, gentler work environment. The rest of us are wrong for clinging to the useless and outdated notion that to thrive in business, you have to be an bootyhole.

I agree with the basic premise of the article. I have worked in a few factories where there was a very high turnover rate and there was a common theme in each one of them... dispensable employees and bad management. My perspective on bad management is that bad managers intimidate and use fear as a control mechanism and do not listen to their employees and make them feel as if they are part of the process.

I think this is a great Millennial quality and I think everyone deserves to work in an environment that doesn't make them feel like crap and drain their soul everyday.

Great job guys!

+2 more 
posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I've worked with some of them- they don't DO # in the work place, and want more money for no work.

It's insane. Last one I had under me would ask for a task, spend two hours not doing it, then ask for another one.

Then he would complain that he couldn't afford the car payments on his car that was worth more than twice the cost of my primary and secondary vehicles combined.

No wonder they complain about unemployment rates when there's "now hiring" signs in every window.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

As a Millenial, I deeply ashamed of my generation. The fact that many of my fellow Millenials are SJWs makes it troubling. In my college it is they who brought the idea that pulling fire alarms is a form of 'protest.' In the past, nobody pulled fire alarms when they protest in my college until they came along.

I fear what would happen when they enter the workforce. Would they pull fire alarms if things don't go their way?

edit on 5/28/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Myself being a baby boomer, I find that I have a difficult time communicating with the millennials that work for me. Logic and hard work seems lost on them.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

They want more or they want what you had?

Millennials make 20% less

With a median household income of $40,581, millennials earn 20 percent less than boomers did at the same stage of life, despite being better educated, according to a new analysis of Federal Reserve data by the advocacy group Young Invincibles.

When I am not biased and looking at this through a narrow lens reality seems to point at something much different happening.

edit on 28-5-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Like I said, 1 thing.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Perhaps they see the work life that we have excepted for what it is BS.

They saw their parents slave away with cut pay, cut benefits, lay offs, firings, and all while the big corps make record profits.

If you ask me, if more would treat the corps like they treat us, our work lives would improve.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Exactly.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Ridiculous, you can't generalize an entire generation based on your limited experiences. Plenty of people my age I've worked with are damn hard workers, myself included.

You think millennials are the only generation to have lazy and entitled people? There are plenty of people among several generations whom I've worked with have been that way. Painting with such broad strokes is extremely ignorant.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The last of the baby boomers here.

We had no safe place, we had to either put up with it or move on.

Like growing a thicker skin here on ATS.

I can't post a picture on here of a safety pin. You all know why.

Work harder to show those old bastards that you can and will be better then them.

That is how you do it, so quit all the whining because you can be better if you work hard at it.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

SHHHHHH, the CORP controlled media have people arguing about how lazy the mill are instead of how they are ripping off the workers (all). This is what the corps want, because the second the people get together and demand better, the corps nuts are clipped.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Young boomer here, my kids and step kids are mils, the thing I salute them for, they do not see race or sexuality as an issue. The true mils believe in equality, this is not a bad thing.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Divide and conquer alive and well today. Almost like we need a lesson of how it's been employed throughout history and who made it famous.

Julius Caesar would be very proud.
edit on 28-5-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

SHHHHHH, the CORP controlled media have people arguing about how lazy the mill are instead of how they are ripping off the workers (all). This is what the corps want, because the second the people get together and demand better, the corps nuts are clipped.

And the corps are slowly getting rid of the older generation and replacing them with technology and lower paid , lower skilled , lower experienced workers.

It's all riding on technology.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Correct.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

And the corps are slowly getting rid of the older generation and replacing them with technology and lower paid , lower skilled , lower experienced workers.

Unfortunately this trend will continue, have been involved with tech since the 80's, yeah it is going to be ugly.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
53 years old and thats what I make working 12 hour shifts 7 pm - 7am as a power plant operator. Have some good vacation days and maybe decent insurance. I have been working at this medical complex since 2001. I started out as a landscape tech ( picked up trash , mowed grass , weeded etc) Saw an opening for this present position no one wanted because of the responsibility and hours so I went for it and had on the job training. Was and is stressful as hell , but for this area it is considered good pay. If you dont like your pay try something else or quit complaining , complaining wont make you more money.
edit on 28-5-2017 by savagediver because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I left the military in 1990, moved through a few tech jobs, made 6 figures for a couple of years, was a boatload of money in the early 90's, suddenly my position was eliminated, by tech, so sold cow milking equipment for a few years. Survived, paid my bills, but only by being smart and planning ahead. The planning ahead part may where some of us are failing the mils.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: Groot

Unfortunately this trend will continue, have been involved with tech since the 80's, yeah it is going to be ugly.

Yeah, we are screwed.

I have been involved in tech since then also.

Remember the day before computers and cell phones, before pagers?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

My husband makes the same as my dad made in 1992. My mom was a stay at home until we were all in school. We're at the median in our county, and above it for our age because I work full time, too, for way less than hubby does. Getting out of college, I worked internationally, because I didn't think I could make the same standard of living as my parents did. And I was right. Only the engineers I know are doing well. Everyone else who has bought a house got help from parents.

I'm the oldest of the millennials, and younger ones drive me nuts with their need for handholding and constant praise. However, they are much more collaborative than my forty, fifty, and sixty something colleagues. They don't put as much emphasis on title and rank. They don't get all territorial about their power. They're refreshing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join