It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIRD Carrier Strike Group bound for North Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
As you may know, a single Carrier Strike Group in any given area is pretty typical. Even when a second one shows up it's usually just an overlap as one is relieved. The US has been using that approach in the Middle East for decades. But analysts poke up their heads and take notice when three Carrier Strike Groups head to the same area, which just happened about North Korea. Here's an article on the issue. The three are the Vinson, The Reagan, and the Nimitz.

A Carrier Strike Group consists on one carrier, usually four destroyers, one cruiser, a fast attack supply ship, and a submarine or two in addition to smaller vessels or other destroyers that may join or leave the group during deployment. To have three such groups in one place represents a significant force that could easily mount an extensive and sustainable attack. It would be my guess that there are a couple of Trident subs lurking around as well. Trump recently said he was sending an "armada" and the usual critics jumped on his use of the word. Well, this is an armada. Stuff just got real.
edit on 5/28/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

They've had four off Korea in the past, and every few years they put three off the coast for exercises. Two in the area is common, and three isn't unheard of.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Posted already in the North Korea Watch 2017 thread already, but thanks for the details: here ya go

I don't recall the last time we had three together like that, but if Zaphod says it's not too uncommon, he would know. I don't typically follow deployments unless it's something more heated.
edit on 28-5-2017 by Sagacity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They've had four off Korea in the past, and every few years they put three off the coast for exercises. Two in the area is common, and three isn't unheard of.

I'm talking Nimitz class carriers here. I have been tracking our carriers for many years now. You may remember the extensive lists I used to post here. NEVER in all that time have I ever seen four carriers in one place (unless docked in San Diego) off Korea or anywhere else. In fact, that's pretty much impossible because we only have ten of them and a third are usually in some sort of extended maintenance period that can easily last over a year. And three in one place is very unusual. The only place that has happened within recent memory is in the Middle East during the first Afghan war and the two Iraqi showdowns. Right now the only west coast CVN that is NOT headed for or off the Korean peninsula is the Roosevelt which is in San Diego. The Reagan is stationed in Japan and is pretty much always "nearby." The deployment of three CVNs anywhere is very significant. It is not at all common, and I suggest we pay attention.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
And three in one place is very unusual. The only place that has happened within recent memory is in the Middle East during the first Afghan war and the two Iraqi showdowns.

I follow them as well and to the best of my memory I recall the same thing as you. Three in one place is a pretty big deal.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Wonder if they have intelligence indicating the Nuclear test that was expected may be still be in the works.
If Mr Kim does it the President may feel ha has no choice but to act.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Nevermind. Everyone is losing their mind over carrier deployments, so we'll just sit and watch as they all deploy and come home again.
edit on 5/28/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Nevermind. Everyone is losing their mind over carrier deployments, so we'll just sit and watch as they all deploy and come home again.

That is, indeed, usually what happens. In fact, that would spell a successful mission. I think it is a little unfair to suggest anyone is "losing their mind." If you'd suggested it, we'd all be required to salute.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I wasn't talking about just this thread. It's been mentioned all over the place and everyone is losing their mind because we're going to war. Again.

And if I suggested it, I wouldn't expect a salute, but would have said that we don't know they're all going to be together, and it's happened before.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

And if I suggested it, I wouldn't expect a salute, but would have said that we don't know they're all going to be together, and it's happened before.

We do know they are going to the same place because that has been announced. And the other times it as happened that can be specifically enumerated, it has been a big deal. I think it is a significant enough event to make note of it. It's not something that should be ignored with a shrug. I'm not suggesting people panic. Indeed, I think we should take N. Korea out, myself, though I know that's not a majority opinion. I simply posted it as information--the same way you post details about airplanes that are otherwise not particularly significant.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I don't worry much about north Korea's army.
This might be a show of force to keep China looking though. They are making claims pretty close to this area. A day or so sailing close.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Actually, they said Nimitz is heading to WESTPAC, Korea, and the Middle East. Reagan was announced as COULD be going to Korea, and probably going to be in the South China Sea.

Although port visits and other operations have not been announced, the Reagan is also expected to conduct what the navy says are “routine patrols” of the disputed South China Sea — a move that is likely to unnerve Beijing.

The U.S. says China has continued to bolster its military capabilities there as it seeks to reinforce effective control of much of the strategic waterway, through which $5 trillion in trade passes each year. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also have overlapping claims.

With tensions on the Korean Peninsula soaring amid nuclear saber-rattling by North Korea, the Reagan could also see action in the Sea of Japan.

www.japantimes.co.jp... z2jyuCg

Security analysts will watch for any movements toward the Korean peninsula, where the San Diego-based USS Carl Vinson has kept watch amid a series of North Korean missile launches and speculation that the communist state could soon conduct a nuclear test.

www.military.com...

The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is expected to be in the western Pacific for six months with visits to the Middle East and Asia-Pacific, though plans could change in response to world events, said spokeswoman Theresa Donnelly.

www.kitsapsun.com...

There has been no official announcement that all three carriers will meet up off Korea.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Three carriers sounds pretty serious to me. One carrier strike group is a big deal in my view.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
Three carriers sounds pretty serious to me. One carrier strike group is a big deal in my view.

One fighter jet buzzing over my head is a big deal. But that's just me.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

It all depends. Many times carrier groups meet up and spend a week together while one familiarizes with the area and gets ready to take over. At the end of that time, the one that was there leaves to head home or somewhere else.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

As with many things, it comes down to location, location, location.

Carriers, as in more than one, isn't all that uncommon from what I've gathered. Generally its for exercises with South Korea, and Japan--as well as showing the flag. Making sure that everyone knows who the Big Dog is.

Three is a tad bit unusual, but the situation off the Korean Peninsula is a tad bit unusual, at the moment...

If the chubby little idiot is content to lob the occasional missile into the ocean off Japan, I doubt anything is going to come of it...or so it's to be most fervently hoped. Should that change? Then we'll start to worry.

This has gone on, in varying ways, for longer than I've been alive...I suspect that it'll be going on after I'm gone. Which really sucks, if you think about it...

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

There were two off the Philippines last year for an exercise. Most Vigilant Shield exercises have two, with a couple of them having three.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

a reply to: Zaphod58

Forever learning guys. Thanks for the replies.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Kim Jong has now upped the ante. The tubby tyrant has ordered his military to "prepare a gift package" for the United States of America.

""North Korean leader Kim Jong Un supervised the test of a new ballistic missile controlled by a precision guidance system and ordered the development of more powerful strategic weapons, the North's official KCNA news agency reported on Tuesday.

The missile launched on Monday was equipped with an advanced automated pre-launch sequence compared with previous versions of the "Hwasong" rockets, North Korea's name for its Scud-class missiles, KCNA said. That indicated the North had launched a modified Scud-class missile, as South Korea's military has said.

"Kim Jong expressed the conviction that North Korea would make a greater leap forward in this spirit, to send a bigger 'gift package' to the Yankees" in retaliation for American military provocation, KCNA quoted Kim as saying.""

Excerpted from: www.reuters.com...

Should the U.S. and our allies in the region wait to see what this "gift package" is? One thing we now know for sure, is that North Korea has missiles that can strike a ship in relatively nearby waters. With our carriers and their accompaniment in the area of North Korea, Kim Jong has several targets to choose from. The stakes are certainly high. Maybe we should let him fire first, and we knock the missile down???

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The carriers don't have to get anywhere near Korean waters though. And they're not that easy to find at sea.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join