It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines President Duterte declares martial law on Mindanao island

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

“Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has declared martial law for 60 days on the island of Mindanao, after clashes between the army and militants linked to so-called Islamic State.”
"During his talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Mr Duterte also said the Philippines needed more modern weapons to fight IS militants and other militant groups.

The violence in Marawi, a city of about 200,000 people in Mindanao, erupted on Tuesday as the army searched for the leader of a militant group that had pledged allegiance to IS, the military said.

Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana identified the militants as members of the Maute group. They had occupied a hospital and a jail, and burnt down buildings including a church, he added.
From The B

Philippines President Duterte declares martial law on Mindanao island

The muslim front is now pushing world wide. In the Philippines, three members of a security force were murdered in violence by muslims. President Duterte has now declared Martial Law. Since Duterte was given the cold shoulder by Obama, he has asked for help from Russia's Putin. Of course he's asking for weapons, and I'm sure Putin will gladly give them to him, as along as he gets a Russian Port as well.
So now the two fold problem has emerged there: muslims forcing a jihad to kill the Christians, and Putin getting a handhold in the Philippines.
The southern island of Mindanao is now under martial law after about 100 Muslim fighters laid siege to a major city following a deadly gun battle with government forces.
Duterte's emergency declaration took immediate effect and will last for 60 days. Duterte is currently in Russia and is on a scheduled four-day official visit.
Hang on, it's just going to get worse.
edit on V092017Tuesdaypm31America/ChicagoTue, 23 May 2017 18:09:09 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The new "ISIP"

(Islamic State in the Philippines)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
good he should round up the rebels and boil them in oil (seems like a thing he would do) and from OP article seems he wants weapons from putin

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Duterte said no human rights for ISIS

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Well since we have an alliance, the Mutual Defense Treaty Between the Republic of the Philippines and the United States of America and now also the 2014 Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), we need to define the "Islamic State in the Philippines" properly so we can determine if we are obligated to support the Republic against the incursions.

If they are merely considered criminals or rebels we may not have actual obligations, but if they are considered a foreign incursion than we definitely are obliged to provide support.

I haven't studied to deep into all of these entanglements but this is my cursory interpretation.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Godd riddance and i hope his military forces eradicate every last one of them. Terrorists understand only one language and that's a bullet to the head. Kill'em all.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
Godd riddance and i hope his military forces eradicate every last one of them. Terrorists understand only one language and that's a bullet to the head. Kill'em all.

And Duterte speaks that language very fluently.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I don't see ISIS standing a snowballs chance in hell in the Philippines. But it'll be interesting to see how things shape up.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hopefully he will live up to his past speeches on the issue and come down hard on these terrorist insurrectionists.

Duterte will not piss about as we do in the West. These terrorists will be dead in a matter of months.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Well since we have an alliance, the Mutual Defense Treaty Between the Republic of the Philippines and the United States of America and now also the 2014 Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), we need to define the "Islamic State in the Philippines" properly so we can determine if we are obligated to support the Republic against the incursions.

If they are merely considered criminals or rebels we may not have actual obligations, but if they are considered a foreign incursion than we definitely are obliged to provide support.

I haven't studied to deep into all of these entanglements but this is my cursory interpretation.
I don't know how much of an influx of foreigners they've had, if any, but the islamic rebels in that part of the Philippines date back to the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) back in the 1970s so they've been there for quite some time.

Then Abu Sayyaf was formed in 1991 from the more violent of the MNLF, and they've committed quite a lot of acts of terrorism since. Several of their leaders have been killed but the latest leader in 2014 swore his allegiance to the Islamic State (ISIS). If Duterte can put a stop to Abu Sayyaf terrorism I'll be impressed since it's been going on for decades and seems like "whack-a-mole", they bash one down and others still keep popping up.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Mindanao is different than the rest of the Philippines and is majority Muslim and semi autonomous . It will be really tough to go after them where they're dug in, in the jungle. I've been to most of the big islands there except Mindanao and aside from going in scorched earth style it going to be a long fight.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slickinfinity

Mindanao is different than the rest of the Philippines and is majority Muslim and semi autonomous . It will be really tough to go after them where they're dug in, in the jungle. I've been to most of the big islands there except Mindanao and aside from going in scorched earth style it going to be a long fight.

I suspect duerte will go in and kill them all if they even look muslim. but hey its his country. if he wants to cleanse them out thats up to him. He needs the weapons to also put in their hands and claim self defense.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slickinfinity

Black Jack McArthur provided a solution that lasted up to the 1980's.
It was very simple and evolved dead bleeding pigs.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It is a perennial problem here. The armed Muslim secessionist groups from the MNLF, MILF and it's various metamorphoses as Abu Sayyaf, JI and now the IS Maute group; not to mention the so-called communists rebels- the NPA were most likely the brainchilds and creations of the U.S. hiding behind make believe political ideologies. What all these groups have in common is they are all just plain criminal enterprises engaged in murder, extortion, kidnapping etc., thugs for hire to the highest bidder.

One thing is for sure, they will continue on for decades more since they are all cash cows of the corrupt generals of our own Armed Forces. The AFP supplies most of their arms, bullets, uniforms, boots and all. If there is an investigation and inventory of supplies, they just burn the armories and problem solved.

Former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo also declared martial law in Mindanao about a decade ago and guess what? Nothing much happened.

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I look forward to watching one world leader that knows how to handle these animals and who isn't going to be whined into submission by liberals.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I hope the stories I am seeing about the rampant rape, murder and beheading of non-muslims are not true.

It sounds 100x worse than Japanese occupation during WWII.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I live in the Philippines and was living in that part of Mindanao about a year or so ago and it was very dangerous then.
I was starting to get followed so knew what was going down and decided to leave for another Island.
I had to change my routines and basically not have one and only walk the streets after 6am to no later than 9pm and that was pushing it a bit as i was the only foreigner in town and had a Bulls eye on my back.

The Muslims target Filipinos that have money and a woman just a few months ago that owned the Gas Station in the town i was in was kidnapped at 5 am by 8 armed men with Machine guns when she was on the way to Church.

I also think foreign fighters are coming here as i saw many names with strong sounding Arabic names when i was in Immigration.
I met a few Turks there also who were teaching Islam in Marawi.

I will keep this thread updated as we are being informed by people right there in the middle of it who are relatives and have already been effected.
One Aunty who works in the Hospital had to flee as they were coming there and looking for hostages i am also originally from Manchester.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Or drug users ..

"Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now, there are 3 million drug addicts. ... I'd be happy to slaughter them,"

He has much in common with Isis

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

I live in the Philippines and was living in that part of Mindanao about a year or so ago and it was very dangerous then.
I was starting to get followed so knew what was going down and decided to leave for another Island.
I had to change my routines and basically not have one and only walk the streets after 6am to no later than 9pm and that was pushing it a bit as i was the only foreigner in town and had a Bulls eye on my back.

The Muslims target Filipinos that have money and a woman just a few months ago that owned the Gas Station in the town i was in was kidnapped at 5 am by 8 armed men with Machine guns when she was on the way to Church.

I also think foreign fighters are coming here as i saw many names with strong sounding Arabic names when i was in Immigration.
I met a few Turks there also who were teaching Islam in Marawi.

I will keep this thread updated as we are being informed by people right there in the middle of it who are relatives and have already been effected.
One Aunty who works in the Hospital had to flee as they were coming there and looking for hostages i am also originally from Manchester.

Wow, Oh my gosh! I hope you and your family will be safe.
Thank you for contributing.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Or drug users ..

"Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now, there are 3 million drug addicts. ... I'd be happy to slaughter them,"

He has much in common with Isis

I hope he's gentle with them

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join