It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sessions issues sweeping new criminal charging policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Sessions issues sweeping new criminal charging policy
Well it begins. Sessions has just declared war on the people. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions overturned the sweeping criminal charging policy of former attorney general Eric H. Holder Jr. and directed his federal prosecutors Thursday to charge defendants with the most serious, provable crimes carrying the most severe penalties.

The Holder memo, issued in August 2013, instructed his prosecutors to avoid charging certain defendants with drug offenses that would trigger long mandatory minimum sentences. Defendants who met a set of criteria such as not belonging to a large-scale drug trafficking organization, gang or cartel, qualified for lesser charges — and in turn less prison time — under Holder’s policy.

But Sessions’s new charging policy, outlined in a two-page memo and sent to more than 5,000 assistant U.S. attorneys across the country and all assistant attorneys general in Washington, orders prosecutors to “charge and purse the most serious, readily provable offense” and rescinds Holder’s policy immediately.

That's right folks. Mandatory minimums are BACK! Now you know why Sessions has been reopening private prisons. He needs a place to put all the enemy combatants *ahem* civilians *ahem* minorities *ahem* "druggies". Phew. Had a coughing fit there.

So is it any surprise that a Senator from Alabama wants to restore one of the most racist policies in American history next to slavery and Segregation? The War on Drugs.

Look at how Sessions blatantly lies to the public to cover his obvious racism:

In speeches across the country, including his first major address as attorney general, Sessions has talked of his belief that recent increases in serious crime might indicate that the United States stands at the beginning of a violent new period. He has noted that the homicide rate is half of what it once was, but he has said he fears times of peace might be coming to an end if law enforcement does not quickly return to the aggressive tactics it once used.

Lol the murder rate is down but HE believes (minus the evidence mind you) that murder rates are about to skyrocket. In any case, this is grade A bull#. If the murder rate was really poised to skyrocket, antagonizing the public and declaring war on them isn't the way to decrease them. This will only escalate the already raw tensions between minority communities and the police.

Cannabis may not be safe either:

Sessions recently ordered the Justice Department to review all its reform agreements with troubled police departments across the country — which he says stand in the way of tough policing — and marijuana advocates fear he might crack down on the drug even in states that have legalized it.

America needs to put its foot down on this. We don't want to reescalate a failed policy!

+31 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but when all your sources are the rabid Liberals, who've been going after the Trump administration from day 1, like WaPo and CNN, I just can't take "The sky is falling" narrative they're pushing.

“charge and purse the most serious, readily provable offense”

As in, the guy who happens to have an ounce of weed on him when he shoots somebody, is going to get charged for the murder, not the weed.

+18 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

So you are saying that Sessions DIDN'T release this memo just now? Or do you not know what mandatory minimum sentences are?
edit on 12-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What "war against the people " are you talking about?

It's good. Use drugs, go jail.

Also, you posted "marijuana advocates fear he might....".

Nothing happened, don't panic.

edit on 12-5-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Seriously do you people not know the history behind mandatory minimum sentences? Why are you just dismissing this because I'm a liberal?

+1 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
If you don't like the law, work to change it. Don't bitch about enforcement.

+28 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

That's what we've been trying to do! Sessions is reversing all the progress we've made! Why is this so hard for people to understand?

+2 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The news just keeps getting better and better. Criminals are going to jail. Something we can all be happy about.
Well done Mr Sessions. More of the radical Obama's legacy being dismantled.

edit on 12/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Seriously do you people not know the history behind mandatory minimum sentences? Why are you just dismissing this because I'm a liberal?

Because then they don't actually have to use their brains.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Sessions is reversing all the progress we've made!

You've nailed it there. Isn't it great!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Without taking sides.

Why?

If someone keeps making a lot of noise about nothing or marginal stuff...

Nobody hears it when they shout out about a real fire.

Maybe that is why?

+23 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Ok. I'm really confused that this needs to be pointed out. I feel like I'm not on ATS anymore.
U.S. Has World's Highest Incarceration Rate

Since 2002, the United States has had the highest incarceration rate in the world. Although prison populations are increasing in some parts of the world, the natural rate of incarceration for countries comparable to the United States tends to stay around 100 prisoners per 100,000 population. The U.S. rate is 500 prisoners per 100,000 residents, or about 1.6 million prisoners in 2010, according to the latest available data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS).1

United States incarceration rate

In the last forty years, incarceration has increased with rates upwards of 500% despite crime rates decreasing nationally.[15] Between the years 2001 and 2012, crime rates (both property and violent crimes) have consistently declined at a rate of 22% after already falling an additional 30% in years prior between 1991 and 2001.[16] As of 2012, there are 710 people per every 100,000 U.S. residents in the United States that are imprisoned in either local jails, state prisons, federal prisons, and privately operated facilities.[16] This correlates to incarcerating a number close to almost a quarter of the prison population in the entire world.[17] Mass incarceration is an intervening variable to more incarceration.[18]

And then FINALLY we had this:
Yes, the American Incarceration Rate Is Going Down

But new data from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics finds that the trend is going in the opposite direction. When controlling for population growth, as German Lopez notes at Vox, there’s been a 7 percent drop in the nationwide incarceration rate over the past decade, from 492 prisoners per 100,000 Americans in 2005, to 358 prisoners per 100,000 Americans in 2015.

States have been trendsetters, with California alone reducing its prison population by tens of thousands thanks to ballot initiatives and legislative reforms.

But Sessions wants to reverse this trend, and you people are celebrating this!?!?! What is wrong with you?

+7 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

The new policy revokes Holder’s previous guidance to prosecutors to not specify the quantity of drugs in the charges they brought to avoid triggering mandatory minimum sentences — provided the defendant did not have a significant criminal history, was not violent, or was not a leader of an organization or tied to a gang.

That was particularly significant, because large quantities of drugs typically forced judges to impose stiff sentences — 10 years for a kilogram of heroin, five kilograms of coc aine or 1,000 kilograms of marijuana. Prosecutors, too, could use the threat of a mandatory minimum penalty to facilitate plea bargains, and some were irked that Holder’s memo stripped them of that tool.

Dude, anybody dealing with those quantities of drugs is linked to organized crime. I am not surprised that Fast and Furious Holder changed it up. Sounds like Cartel goons paid him of to go easy on their guys in exchange for those nice guns they got illegally.

I mean, 1000kg of MJ??? Thats quite a load to try and pass of as recreational or personal use.

link   

Why are you just dismissing this because I'm a liberal?

Hell yeah !

+22 more 
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Sessions is reversing all the progress we've made!

You've nailed it there. Isn't it great!

So you agree with the US having the world's highest incarceration rate? That's not the land of the free at all.

+8 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

The new policy revokes Holder’s previous guidance to prosecutors to not specify the quantity of drugs in the charges they brought to avoid triggering mandatory minimum sentences — provided the defendant did not have a significant criminal history, was not violent, or was not a leader of an organization or tied to a gang.

That was particularly significant, because large quantities of drugs typically forced judges to impose stiff sentences — 10 years for a kilogram of heroin, five kilograms of coc aine or 1,000 kilograms of marijuana. Prosecutors, too, could use the threat of a mandatory minimum penalty to facilitate plea bargains, and some were irked that Holder’s memo stripped them of that tool.

Dude, anybody dealing with those quantities of drugs is linked to organized crime. I am not surprised that Fast and Furious Holder changed it up. Sounds like Cartel goons paid him of to go easy on their guys in exchange for those nice guns they got illegally.

I mean, 1000kg of MJ??? Thats quite a load to try and pass of as recreational or personal use.

That is just an example of large quantities. The article is talking about ALL quantities though.
edit on 12-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   

Ok. I'm really confused that this needs to be pointed out. I feel like I'm not on ATS anymore.
U.S. Has World's Highest Incarceration Rate

Since 2002, the United States has had the highest incarceration rate in the world. Although prison populations are increasing in some parts of the world, the natural rate of incarceration for countries comparable to the United States tends to stay around 100 prisoners per 100,000 population. The U.S. rate is 500 prisoners per 100,000 residents, or about 1.6 million prisoners in 2010, according to the latest available data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS).1

United States incarceration rate

In the last forty years, incarceration has increased with rates upwards of 500% despite crime rates decreasing nationally.[15] Between the years 2001 and 2012, crime rates (both property and violent crimes) have consistently declined at a rate of 22% after already falling an additional 30% in years prior between 1991 and 2001.[16] As of 2012, there are 710 people per every 100,000 U.S. residents in the United States that are imprisoned in either local jails, state prisons, federal prisons, and privately operated facilities.[16] This correlates to incarcerating a number close to almost a quarter of the prison population in the entire world.[17] Mass incarceration is an intervening variable to more incarceration.[18]

And then FINALLY we had this:
Yes, the American Incarceration Rate Is Going Down

But new data from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics finds that the trend is going in the opposite direction. When controlling for population growth, as German Lopez notes at Vox, there’s been a 7 percent drop in the nationwide incarceration rate over the past decade, from 492 prisoners per 100,000 Americans in 2005, to 358 prisoners per 100,000 Americans in 2015.

States have been trendsetters, with California alone reducing its prison population by tens of thousands thanks to ballot initiatives and legislative reforms.

But Sessions wants to reverse this trend, and you people are celebrating this!?!?! What is wrong with you?

What has the incarceration rate got to do with anything? Are you suggesting that if there are too many criminals , society should accept it and let some people off? If so, you sound as radical as the last administration.

+25 more 
link   

There is something very wrong with Sessions' reasoning about marijuana... I quote him:

"Good people don't smoke marijuana".

Well, yes, they do!

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Yes.

+18 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
With each passing day into the reign of this administration I feel a growing sense of fearful confirmation as I am reminded how upon waking to see that Trump had in fact been "elected" I felt that same uneasiness in the stomach that I felt the day I watched the second plane crash into the towers.

The scariest part is realizing just what a large percentage of this country supports this narcissistic megalomaniac and every asinine decision he and his acolytes make. Cheering him on as he and his goons lord over this country with their oppressive and regressive policies.
edit on 12-5-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join