It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Will Never Travel At Light Speed Or Anywhere Near To It.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

If you can fold space or phase shift to a different dimension then you wouldn't have to worry about that.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

We will never travel at light speed but running into things is far down the list of reasons why.

It's physically impossible. Best chance of traveling interstellar distances would be accessing hidden dimensions.

Plus why would you want to travel at light speed? Time would stop if you could actually go that fast.

Everyone you know would be dead by the end of your journey.
edit on 2-5-2017 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think it can be done.

Since weight is relative to velocity all it takes is a breakthrough in gravity.

Essentially creating a field around said object giving it negative weight relative to velocity.

Of course that requires something else like fusion to achieve.

However I believe folding space time is where it's at.

Moving without moving.
edit on 2-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

The spice is vital to space travel. The Spacing Guild and its navigators, who the spice has mutated over four-thousand years, use the orange spice gas, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the Universe without moving.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I do believe hitting an asteroid or planet at FTL would be a very low probability thing, I found an interesting video about the limits of humanity

can't get Youtube to work right, look for Kurzgesagt "How Far Can We Go? Limits of Humanity"
edit on 2-5-2017 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2017 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

probably doesn't work like that, for me we would use wormholes, machines that can dip in and out of universes, point to point in an instant, probably be saucer shaped also...... i reckon if portals and the likes is possible, then what would be the point of a dangerous journey, when you could walk through a door.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Even light speed is hardly enough to really 'take us to the stars'.

OP problem as well.

Teleporting across vast distances is how it would have to be done.

If that is even within the possibility of science?

Teleporting and not materializing into destruction on the other ends would be issue too. So getting probe beacons in place first would become apparent. Which might bring us back to the OP problem. If communicating with a probe over such a distance in a time frame of any value is even within the possibility of science to begin with.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

We will never travel at light speed but running into things is far down the list of reasons why.

It's physically impossible. Best chance of traveling interstellar distances would be accessing hidden dimensions.

Plus why would you want to travel at light speed? Time would stop if you could actually go that fast.

Everyone you know would be dead by the end of your journey.

Time would be very slow for you but extremely fast at the same time... Time it's self would be the same on Earth (Nothing changing) like being in suspended animation within light speed, everything else would be the same,,, you'd look the same but older.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
At such a high rate of speed, I'd assume the air pressure in front of a spaceship would act as a natural repulsive barrier and knock asteroids out of the way.

That's my guess atleast, this is really more of scottys area of expertise. I'm just here to keep jim from screwing everything in sight.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I know what everybody thinks about Steven Greer but here is what he thinks:

How are ET craft and personnel traversing the vastness of interstellar space and time?

Well, it turns out that the rigidity of that vastness of space becomes quite flexible and can be largely bypassed once you frequency shift to the other side of the light barrier. In one quantum movement, the ET craft and all its occupants phase shift to a finer aspect of the cosmology outlined above, and exist then in an aspect or dimension which is more non-local than the material universe known to modern science. That is, the observed phenomenon of these objects which often seem to disappear and then reappear instantly at a considerable distance is due to the fact that they can phase shift in and out of the fixed time/space material aspect to one which is inherently more non-local. (Yes, non-locality is relatively relative.) From what I have observed, this is done through very high energy physics and electronics which literally phase shift, in one quantum leap, the material ET craft and all its occupants into an aspect of the cosmology which closely approximates what was described above as astral or CIV. This is done through a complex interaction between powerful rotating electromagnetic fields and the gravitational field and mass inertia. When the craft is on this side of the crossing point of light, it is seen like any other material, manufactured object, but it can maneuver in ways which appear to negate mass inertia and gravity. Once it phase shifts onto the other side of the crossing point of light/matter, it seems to disappear. But it has not. ... While in that form or energy spectrum (or dimension) the craft can hover, or move within the material universe at many, many multiples of the speed of light. The velocity is non-relativistic, at least as measured on this side of the light barrier. However, 1000 light years will not be traversed instantly because there is an element of ‘drag' as it moves in this aspect through the material cosmos. Put another way, there is a component of the object which adheres to the underbelly of the material cosmos and there is a coefficient of cosmic drag which prevents the transport from being instantaneous across vast interstellar distances. Operating, then, in a sort of ‘junction' between aspects (or dimensions) the ET craft can phase between either. Actually, it can also be partially in both. - Steven Greer
link

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
At such a high rate of speed, I'd assume the air pressure in front of a spaceship would act as a natural repulsive barrier and knock asteroids out of the way.

That's my guess atleast, this is really more of scottys area of expertise. I'm just here to keep jim from screwing everything in sight.

Ha ha......

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Your not wrong, at that speed everything in fort would be like hitting a cushion of sorts. the thing is trying to make sure that happens, cause if you don't have any defense at that speed then the little asteroid's​ would/ could penetrate the hull of the ship and then game over.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I think the concept of light speed travel is a red herring.

I hope so.

It'd be an existential crisis if we're confined to the quarters of our Solar System or nearest waypoints.

Imagine a scenario where we're the only technological intelligence and we're too far out in the galactic ocean to ever reach another island?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I don't remember the equation from college physics class but it stated something like the faster an object travels the heavier the object becomes.
Therefore the power required will increase to infinity as the weight increases to infinity with speed.

This might explain it better.

zidbits.com...
edit on 2-5-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Link

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
No one has read about the asteroid belt? really? where most large/small asteroids orbit our friendly sun?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Ha ha......

No air in space, therefore no air pressure...

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well if youre just moving the space around you, can't you just make something close to a bubble of spacetime?

Fine.. that dust will hit my spaceship. 10000000000000000000000000000000 years from now! ha.. ahhhh .a aha. hahahaha!! Evil laugh.
edit on 5/2/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
No one has read about the asteroid belt? really? where most large/small asteroids orbit our friendly sun?

We're already beyond that and into deep space.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon
Well if youre just moving the space around you, can't you just make something close to a bubble of spacetime?

Fine.. that dust will hit my spaceship. 10000000000000000000000000000000 years from now! ha.. ahhhh .a aha. hahahaha!! Evil laugh.

Lol brilliant no worries to be had here.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

According to your thread headline, I assumed you were the voice of God talking.
In reading your wonderful reasoning in the text, I find it otherwise (not reasoned).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join