It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Will Never Travel At Light Speed Or Anywhere Near To It.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is just my opinion.

In our own Solar System alone there are around 500,000 asteroids already discovered. There are possibly much larger numbers out there.

Travelling at light speed or a good percentage off it, you could hit an asteroid before you even knew it was there. End of journey.

Anyone agree ?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
Only if you don't have your shields up or you could do it by making wormholes.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

If you have the tech to achieve even close to lightspeed, then you should have the tech for a repulser or deflector shield of some sort that can take care of that problem.

Because, at even much less than lightspeed, dust would be a problem.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I would think that if we somehow conquered FTL speed, we can figure out how to avoid asteroids.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Force field?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Like you answers so far.

However some of these asteroids are as large as small planets.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This problem only applies to things with mass...

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

But imagine at more than light speed in uncharted territory with a force field you collide with an inhabitated planet... then you make dust.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

So we'd need a detection system that could detect things ahead faster than light.
And when something's detected it'd trigger the drop outta warp mechanism.

Or maybe some type of gravity detection safeguard or magnetic detector.
There's gotta be a way.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think the concept of light speed travel is a red herring. According to the equations, it's impossible. This is not something you can explain away with science fiction concepts such as warp drive. There are no equations that explain warp drive. Saying that we simply haven't invented it yet is not an answer. But like a lot of things in science, thinking in terms of light speed may very well be akin to wanting to walk through walls when there is a convenient door nearby. In other words, we may have to re-think how reality is organized. We know, for example, that Quantum Entanglement, or "spooky action at a distance" works, but we don't know why. There may be an answer that starts there, and if there is, it may make the concept of light speed travel moot. We don't have to answer OP's issue because the problem will never come up.

link   

originally posted by: Bornsecrets
This problem only applies to things with mass...

Annnd humans have enough mass.

link   

A fist-sized rock going through your ship at 500,000mph is going to make for a really bad day.

I'm pretty sure there's no shortage of fist-sized rocks out there.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Not when you have a warp field around the ship. Warp drive will warp the space around it so it won't collide with anything. The only problem is the possibility of ending up inside a planet or a sun.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Maybe. But I feel like this might be why wormholes, or bending spacetime is much more attractive.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
When we are smart enough to achieve light-speed we will also be smart enough to have Hull strength and plating that allows the ship to blast through asteroids planets and anything else.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

-Han Solo, Star Wars, prophet

That is the old school, "push it from behind with a rocket" thinking. Like a hail storm, not much fun if they become too big. So you side step the issue all together. Reduce the effects of gravity on your craft. You become a point of gravity and not some huge small city zipping through space. That is the notion of "hyper-space" or at least one way to visualize it.

How to actually do that? Eleph-rhino. But conceptually it can be conceived. Ben Rich might have known which is what all those quotes hint at.

I'll votes: disagree.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ha ha ha...... something occurred to me. When the Babylonians tried to reach the heavens, what happened to them....

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Not exactly..If you're traveling at light speed you could theoretically travel through a star or a planet without consequence or past them without knowing, unless you're told otherwise by a super computer. that's if one is on bored, if not you'd pass everything until you come out of light speed.
edit on 2 5 2017 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Not exactly..If you're traveling at light speed you could theoretically travel through a star or a planet without consequence or past them without knowing, unless you're told otherwise by a computer.

Two solid bodies coming into contact with each other at high speed.

Result. Ouch

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Not exactly..If you're traveling at light speed you could theoretically travel through a star or a planet without consequence or past them without knowing, unless you're told otherwise by a computer.

Two solid bodies coming into contact with each other at high speed.

Result. Ouch

I'll give you that, but not everything is traveling at light speed those you could go through, but yeah too objects traveling at the same speed meeting would be an Ouch need a body bag lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join