It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Claim Objective ‘Truth’ Is a ‘White Supremacist’ Myth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yes folks, now the mental illness of what is being taught in our college institutions, has their brilliant disciples coming forth with such brilliant foresight as TRUTH is about White Supremacy..

Students at the Claremont McKenna Colleges argued that objective truth is a social construct devised by “white supremacists” to “attempt to silence oppressed peoples” in a letter to the Pomona College president.

The letter came in response to Pomona College President David Oxtoby’s affirmation of commitment to free speech and intellectual diversity following the chaos that ensued during a lecture featuring Manhattan Institute scholar Heather MacDonald. Student protesters derailed her lecture on the rise of anti-police attitudes by banging on windows and shouting, “F*ck the police,” and “Black Lives Matter.” Campus security ultimately forced MacDonald to livestream her lecture from a near-empty room across campus.

Source

Yes parents of these precious revolutionaries, this is what you are signing your children up for when you THINK they will be educated! Wonder why they can't pay back their student loans?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I remember when I thought "I reject your reality and substitute my own" was a funny thing. Now it has become some folks' version of truth and it's getting downright scary.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yes, finally.

Nothing says truth like shouting down any and all ideals that the mob disagrees with.

All that at well over $1000 a credit hour.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Yep, that letter is a load of postmodern BS.

The students that think and act that way are in the minority, however. It's misleading to suggest that all university students everywhere do and think the same things.

S&F
edit on 18-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If they are saying that lies are preferable to truth, are we supposed to believe them or not?
They are setting themslves up as a living version of a classic logic problem.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
If they are saying that lies are preferable to truth, are we supposed to believe them or not?
They are setting themslves up as a living version of a classic logic problem.

The truth hurts, so they just decided it won't exist.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The students that think and act that way are in the minority, however. It's misleading to suggest that all university students everywhere do and think the same things.

S&F

You and I finally agree on something!

I didn't imply that was for every student, however, regardless which ideology you bow your head to in service at night, this kind of thinking is dangerous!

GOOD DAY,,,,good day....

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
jesus...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

S&F

you're right, gryph...this is one of the things that pisses me off here.....with tens of thousands of colleges around the nation, with thousands of students in each one, you will find some students protest weird causes, in a weird way. what the OP failed to point out is that this type of weirdness has no bearing, or relationship to the vast majority of students, who are working their ass off......and yet, the OP wants people here to somehow think that the general population of colleges think and behave this way.....and as far as this being dangerous????....we have one weird nutter right now in the white house trying to get trump to follow his philosophy....Bannon

edit on 18-4-2017 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Seems they have not realized that subjective vs objective thinking is even more emphasized in eastern religions than western abrahamic religions.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Science is RACIST, dont cha knwo?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Although I understand the apprehension one feels when reading the article and the letter, I think we would be well served to realize that these are college kids. I held a ton of idealistic and contrived beliefs in my college days. I even wrote a letter to the editor for the college paper that completely contradicts how I feel now on a particular subject. College years are a time of growth and experimentation; it is common for intellectual boundaries to get tested. That's what education is all about.

I'm not at all familiar with this woman that was being protested and am not of a mind to research her at this point. The students in question feel that she is overtly racist. While I do not condone their behavior in shutting down her speech, I'm somewhat reticent to say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I were a young person of color and she is, in fact, a thinly veiled racist.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Liberals! Your conquerers will be enthno and gender-centric. Bet on it.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Historically, white supremacy has venerated the idea of objectivity, and wielded a dichotomy of ‘subjectivity vs. objectivity’ as a means of silencing oppressed peoples. The idea that there is a single truth–’the Truth’–is a construct of the Euro-West that is deeply rooted in the Enlightenment, which was a movement that also described Black and Brown people as both subhuman and impervious to pain. This construction is a myth and white supremacy, imperialism, colonization, capitalism, and the United States of America are all of its progeny. The idea that the truth is an entity for which we must search, in matters that endanger our abilities to exist in open spaces, is an attempt to silence oppressed peoples.

"Education must also train one for quick, resolute and effective thinking. To think incisively and to think for one's self is very difficult. We are prone to let our mental life become invaded by legions of half truths, prejudices, and propaganda. At this point, I often wonder whether or not education is fulfilling its purpose. A great majority of the so-called educated people do not think logically and scientifically. Even the press, the classroom, the platform, and the pulpit in many instances do not give us objective and unbiased truths. To save man from the morass of propaganda, in my opinion, is one of the chief aims of education. Education must enable one to sift and weigh evidence, to discern the true from the false, the real from the unreal, and the facts from the fiction.

The function of education, therefore, is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. But education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society. The most dangerous criminal may be the man gifted with reason, but with no morals.

The late Eugene Talmadge, in my opinion, possessed one of the better minds of Georgia, or even America. Moreover, he wore the Phi Beta Kappa key. By all measuring rods, Mr. Talmadge could think critically and intensively; yet he contends that I am an inferior being. Are those the types of men we call educated?

We must remember that intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education. The complete education gives one not only power of concentration, but worthy objectives upon which to concentrate. The broad education will, therefore, transmit to one not only the accumulated knowledge of the race but also the accumulated experience of social living.

If we are not careful, our colleges will produce a group of close-minded, unscientific, illogical propagandists, consumed with immoral acts. Be careful, "brethren!" Be careful, teachers!"

- MLK (The Purpose of Education
edit on 18-4-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

It's really hard to argue with professors. They've heard it all many times before and have practice responses. For example, give me one objective truth that you know is absolutely true.

One more thing, from your quote OP, if not social constructs then how do white supremacists oppress people?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Students at the Claremont McKenna Colleges argued that objective truth is a social construct devised by “white supremacists” to “attempt to silence oppressed peoples” in a letter to the Pomona College president.

That diploma from Claremont sure isn't worth the paper it's printed on or the thousands of dollars spent to get one.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

S&F

You may be right about the students thinking this way being in the mi,ority, but I am not so sure about the professors. At least the ones not in stem fields.

Post modernism is very common in academia, and the idea of objective truth is shunned by them. Hence feelings are more important than facts. Look at prof Jordan Peterson's story in Canada and how not using someone's preferred pronoun such as wormkin could get you fired and into legal trouble. If someone subjectively think they are a worm spirit, the Canadian government thinks that is more valuable than objective reality.

I will say that I am hopeful that people are waking up to this garbage and ultimately universities will be forced to allow competing ideas to this nonsense or be competed out of the market.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Aren't they supposed to be conditioning students to be civil and to blend into society in school? Why are we sending the kids there, to learn to tear apart the society we spent so much time trying to build? Twenty years ago our society was way better than it is now.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Although I understand the apprehension one feels when reading the article and the letter, I think we would be well served to realize that these are college kids. I held a ton of idealistic and contrived beliefs in my college days. I even wrote a letter to the editor for the college paper that completely contradicts how I feel now on a particular subject. College years are a time of growth and experimentation; it is common for intellectual boundaries to get tested. That's what education is all about.

I'm not at all familiar with this woman that was being protested and am not of a mind to research her at this point. The students in question feel that she is overtly racist. While I do not condone their behavior in shutting down her speech, I'm somewhat reticent to say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I were a young person of color and she is, in fact, a thinly veiled racist.

There is no apprehension in my post at all! The fact that a college is spitting out students so damned stupid to align TRUTH to White Supremacy????

No, I said what I meant, and I meant what I said!

To allow ANYONE to twist the meaning of TRUTH? Is pure insanity!
edit on 18-4-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Always glad to hear from you my friend! You have a way with words I envy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join