It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for the Forum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
What is the IRS statute that makes American citizens liable to pay federal income taxes?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq
What is the IRS statute that makes American citizens liable to pay federal income taxes?

"Or else..."

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq

Thanks in advance.

There is none, technically speaking.

The revolution was partially about burdensome taxation from England. At the time the constitution was ratified, the gubment was supposed to pay for its own limited budget through tariffs, only collecting tax from the people during times of war and then not to exceed 10 percent.

Instead today we have permanent progressive income tax collected by employers (instead of the IRS) to prop up an over bloated bureaucracy that has mis appropriated it all and invented marvelous other forms of less noticed taxation, thru licensing, permits, fees and fines, to name a few.
edit on 11-4-2017 by intrptr because: additional

link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

i have a counter question - in the absence of " federal income tax " how do you propose to fund and run the essential services of a civilised nation [ in particular - would the " alternative " be cheaper ] - if not is there any point to answering your question ?

my response to this is always :

no access to infrastructure without taxation

link   
There is no stature or law on the books but there is ambiguous wording which states as a US citizen you will pay taxes.

The word “liable” or “liability” is the only term that establishes a legal “duty” to pay a tax. The first and only federal tax law that has ever imposed such a legal “duty” was section 29 of the Revenue Act of 1894, which said in pertinent part:

“Sec. 29. That it shall be the duty of all persons of lawful age having an income of more than three thousand five hundred dollars for the taxable year, computed on the basis herein prescribed, to make and render a list or return, on or before the day provided by law, in such form and manner as may be directed by the Commissioner of Internal Revenue with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, to the collector or a deputy collector of the district in which they reside, of the amount of their income, gains, and profits, as aforesaid;…”

Notice the phrase “it shall be the duty of all persons of lawful age”. You can read this law direct from the Statutes at Large on our website at:

Source: famguardian.org...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Without having legal training, I would guess that the obligation is contained in each finance bill that sets up the tax in the first place.
The gist will be "The United States government will be entitled to collect this much income tax during the coming financial year, and each citizen is legally obliged to pay it".
Similarly with other taxes; the permission to raise the tax, and the obigation to pay the tax necessarily go together.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

i have a counter question - in the absence of " federal income tax " how do you propose to fund and run the essential services of a civilized nation [ in particular - would the " alternative " be cheaper ] - if not is there any point to answering your question ?

The gubment is supposed to run itself, raise its own funding thru tariffs on imports. Would only need limited funding in its limited capacity because its only job as defined by the Declaration of Independence is to...

...remind us that all people have inalienable rights—among them, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. To secure these rights, the U.S. Constitution creates a government of the people to “establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the Common Defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.”

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I know what you're getting at.

The simple fact is, I pay my taxes because if I don't, men with guns will be sent to my doorstep to collect.

It doesn't matter what "statute" does or does not require me to pay taxes when the men with guns drag me kicking and screaming before the man in the black robe whose job it is to make sure I pay my taxes...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution
Question answered.
Next question

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

if I don't, men with guns will be sent to my doorstep to collect.

Thats sexist, there are women on the IRS swat teams also....

edit on 11-4-2017 by Infoshill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Further reading led me
to article I, section 8, clause 1 of the Constitution.

Also I find it fascinating how some have eclipsed
impoverished conditions with wealth, and a
reduction in tax obligations with the following formula.

501(c)(3) organization.
Donations in tax-exempt bonds and cash.
foreign tax credits.
% of donations purchasing real-estate

For proof ask Creflo Dollar.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well as y'all shout that the constitution is sacrosanct, I guess you'd better suck it up and pay.
It's in the constitution!!! Lolz

*edit*
Not you KS, I've had that precious constitution thrown at me for years on ATS about everything from gun rights to hate speech and universal health care.
Paying tax being in the constitution is funny as #, it can 'never' be changed lol, that oh so perfect constitution.
Love it.
edit on 11.4.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

Yielding to your response as correct. Well done!
MS

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Well apparently paying tax is in the constitution so of course taxes must be perfectly acceptable, you know, precious and perfect constitution and all that.
Bahaha!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Its interesting how quick people are to forget about the 16th amendment when they say things like "The government doesn't have the right to tax our incomes!" or "the IRS is an illegal organization".

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Member Outlier13 provided the section best fitting the question!

*I also like "BECAUSE! Its the American way! !!"

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I am actually chuckling to myself at all those who use the 'perfection and sovereignty' of the constitution for all manner of arguments, who now have to concede that paying tax must equally be considered perfect law.

Lol, I am so going to remember the sixteenth ammendment in future discussions, funny as #!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It is a fact that many people who appeal to the Constitution haven't actually read it to see what it says. They know all the popular talking points like "Right to bare arms", "Shall not be infringed", "Separation of Church and State", "States' rights", etc but they haven't read the actual document to see how those things are spelled out.
edit on 11-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I'm hoping some rabid constitution lovers join the thread and celebrate their tax liabilities now.
They of course cannot pick and choose if their argument has ever been 'it's in the constitution' lol I'm expecting crickets for sure, but I can't wait to throw the sixteenth ammendment back at them in future arguments.

Honestly, I have actually laughed out loud since reading this thread!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join