It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masqua - Remembering a Truly Wonderful and Gifted Man - Working Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Loving this thread so very much! I want to see more people participate in this. Remember people, it isn't a contest, it is something to do in honor of Masqua/Tony. I'm not into abstract art, but he did other works as well and it will be easy for you to find something that inspires you.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Wisdom in Perpetuity

I need not know you to know.

From stages and designs other than our own.

We bear the standard and it encompasses us all.

Unforgotten in your wise brush.

We can carry it on regardless of our differences.

Commonality will always be there.

I didn't think I could speak about this man. I had few interactions with them but upon canvasing over his art, something spoke. His wisdom in his art. This cat is a perfect rendering of my own and I realize how spiritually connected we all are.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Tony painted this and sent it to me shortly after he joined the ATS staff as a tribute to the fact he understood what we were trying to do here.

Enjoy it by looking closely at the details.

I miss my friend.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I will miss Tony (Masqua). It's because of him that I decided to start painting again.

They will have to make "lots of room" in the Heavenly Gallery for all his 'new work'.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer
Thank you for sharing that! I never had to honor to speak with Tony. I feel that I have missed a great opportunity.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
These are all amazing so far guys, thank you SO much.

Tony is most certainly smiling from wherever he is.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Yes, I see it too
who knows what it means Masqua?
I saw you searching

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I hope it's okay if I do another one.

This one I gazed at for several minutes before I realized it is a reflection of a fisherman, an angler, on the surface of the water. If you look very carefully, you can see the dorsal sillouhette of fishes, the line, the hat, and the torso and upper legs.....exactly how a rippling body of water would reflect a human figure at the shore.

I imagine masqua now by a glittering spring day lake or stream or river, and he can fish to his soul's delight.
Masqua, you were a mentor to me, a truly gentle and wise soul. My work on the collaborative project "Space Opera" was a very significant time of my life, and I grew as a writer there. Thank you for giving me a boost on my path. Always loved your posts and threads, and your talent is astonishing.

Thank you for crossing my path in this cyber-realm we now call 'connection.'
I know it's deeper than just the internet, and I shall see you again one day. Rest peacefully, kind jewel.
edit on 4/11/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

That was one of my favorites....in fact...blend57 mad a banner for me using that piece of art.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I hadn't seen -

There is something about it - right? :-)

I spent a lot of time looking through his stuff - so many I could have picked - but that one got me

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

That one is mine and my wifes favorite piece, as well. Although I do really like the ones that are Warhol meets Banksy quite a bit, too.

You can see the discipline in his stroke, and how he made pieces to break this discipline in a canvas playground (Buzzy's last post has something that has that more carefree movement).

I've enjoyed this thread immensely. Thank you all for contributing.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The pointilism shows such intense dedication....I am sure I'd be far too impatient to accomplish a thing like that without becoming frustrated......
The photographic technique is something my ex-husband did....he's earning a living at it, and I learned a lot about art from him.

posted on Apr, 13 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I've enjoyed this thread immensely. Thank you all for contributing.

Yes. Looking through all his paintings, and his photos after years of reading his words here - it's like trying to decipher the code of a person
edit on 4/13/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Art is funny like that, most people never meet the people who inspire them through the images they create.

Some folks are fortunate enough to meet them in one way or another. My humble offering for your friend.

Never having had any personal interactions with Masqua, except for board business and following along his writings as an admirer, I wanted to study his website and art (paintings, photography, and writing) in an attempt to glean more insight into the man and the artist. Trying, feebly perhaps, to glimpse his world through his eyes.
I found some gems that really spoke to and resonated with me although I hadn’t quite found the words to express my feelings, until now.

I chose a quote, painting, photograph, and some threads/posts.

Art must reflect life as the artist sees it, balanced within the material and inner worlds.
~Antonie H. Los

I was fortunate to be camping in the woods this weekend past and able to see the full moon rise with very little ‘other’ light. Being there never ceases to amaze me with it's beauty and seems to balance me back out. I was struck, once again, to realize and appreciate just how small we really are in the scheme of the universe. The moon was so close in appearance, as if we could reach out and touch it, as it rose above the lake. My daughter and I stood motionless and awe struck for a time. I’m not sure that either of us breathed. I recalled Masqua’s Moon Rise painting and it clicked.

I imagined that when he happened upon that lake scene in his photograph that he may have been struck by the pristine beauty and the tranquility. He may have stared across the surface of the water inspired by the reflection of the clouds and desired to capture that very moment in a photograph for reminiscence. Those times can all too often be fleeting, when your heart becomes light and your mind becomes clear and the concrete busy world of today is miles away.

Balance and achieving it.
Mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.
Every aspect of life seeks balance and its counterpoise.

I hear my name being whispered on the breeze
Calling me back, summoning me home
Stepping into the forest to leave society behind
I cast off my chains and am free to roam

Here is one of those places where I am free to roam
I hope that Masqua has found his

If there is anything which makes our lives bearable, it is art in its many forms.

Masqua Quote

Out there... away from highways and the hustle-bustle of our busy communities, is another world which many of us have experienced both as a pleasure or, perhaps, a troublesome episode in our lives (like meeting a mother bear and her cubs on a walking trail).

Masqua Story Contest Idea

Masqua's Poetry Collaboration Thread
(^this was just fantastic, really ^)

Thank you for the opportunity to share in the tribute to your friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Oh no. I didn't know.
How terribly sad.
I will truly miss Masqua.

Let me go look at his site and post something.
This is heartbreaking.
peace

Edit to Add:

For now - I'll let Masqua speak for himself.

Well said and I agree with every point.
BTW… my first jobs were on farms; cleaning out pig sties, milking cows, loading bales of hay on wagons or in the barn and, best of all, driving everything from a tractor to a huge front end loader. I loved farm work and my wife constantly says I should have had my own farm.

From there on I was a shoe salesman, junior forest ranger, a railroad worker, cattle rustler, managing a record store, loading various airplanes in Yellowknife Airport and so forth before settling into a long time job with a utility company. I don’t regret any of those jobs because they provided me with the means to have a family and a home.

Over all those years, I’ve met many artists and a few of them became very well known, either by being incredibly proficient at providing affordable works to a majority of art lovers or, because they are so exceptionally talented that they’ve caught the eye of notable galleries. The former, of course, is the much easier route.

I’ve also met amazing artists who struggled with loneliness and extreme poverty. It breaks my heart when I see their situation expressed in their art, but, there too I have seen a measure of eventual success. Some do go on to become recognized.

The last thing I’d ever worry about is an uneducated dismissive attitude from a critic. I figure if someone can’t explain why they don’t care for a painting or understand the reasoning behind its intent, then it is a fault of their own and not mine. Best they just sniff their noses and move along. On the other hand, constructive criticism is something I want. It shows that they care and that’s just wonderful.

Masqua

It's pretty tough to pic a favorite - but I'll try to narrow it down.

peace
edit on 4354Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

That was just beautiful Chirp!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I'm very interested in what you will narrow your choice down to. I'm sorry you just found about Tony's passing.

I was really hoping more people would participate in this and hope that more folks will be inspired to join in soon.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I just came back to ATS after a lengthy hiatus. I sure never thought I'd walk back in to this loss.

We had our differences Masque and I - but we always kissed and made up so to speak and he was so supportive of my photos.

It's so tough to choose between his photos and art. I'm thinking I'll go with one of his photos as he was so kind in encouraging me with mine.

peace

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I noticed I haven't seen you around in a while. Yeah, My mouth hung open when I found out. Always so sad to lose an ATS family member. Those who have come and gone have left their mark and influenced lives. They will remain in people's memories and in their hearts.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Photo from a collection of Tony Los

I know we were asked to comment on his art/paintings, but in my mind's eye - this is also of course his art.

I don't know the story behind this photo - what I do know is' Masqua' so encourage my own captures and my love for volcanoes, so it fits for me in my heart.

The one thing which stand out in my mind/heart about Tony Los = 'Hope is alive' and his dedication to all the writers here on ATS who particpated in 'The Voyages of the Penelope and the Yydryl.'

RIP

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join