It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina customers until he saw ‘proof of residency’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
A California restaurant owner is looking for a new waiter if some needs a gig.

If any of this even happened in the first place.

Or perhaps it was all a ploy to get a dude fired, so that one of their cousins could find a job opening?

originally posted by: kurthall

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Well that was some badly written article, if that's all it takes to write for the Washington Post we are doomed.

now to the meat of the article:
doesn't it sound strange that the guy would just randomly ask that? what about tourists? does he refuse to serve them? why risk your job over something so stupid?

I live here in So Cali, and yes he did do that. I have no idea why. It is on our news.

If it's on the corporate news then it DEFINITELY happened precisely as reported!

edit on 20-3-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: VengefulGhost

By waiters or police?

By waiters , hotel staff along with by police . Takes all of two minutes to tend to tops then its carry on and have a nice day . Few times sat and had coffee with the police . Though did get looked at odd as wasnt in areas usually frequented by westerners and the police had at first thought id been robbed and dropped in the area when they stopped me on my way to coffeeshop one morning . These days they know me so not often that get stopped anymore its more of a quick hello hows it going when see them now .

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Thanks for providing an outside opinion, like I said before, these libs think the world operates and looks the same like America or any other developed nation, this is their fallacy.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

To be clear, when the waiters asked for your id was to deny service if you where illegal or to establish your age to buy alcohol?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
It's good to see that the restaurant reacted so properly in this instance.

But in the interest of reality, this wasn't an instance of racism (taken at face value form the story), it was discrimination and, quite honestly, just an a**hole being an a**hole.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

To be clear, when the waiters asked for your id was to deny service if you where illegal or to establish your age to buy alcohol?

Checking residency . Never been checked for i.d when purchasing alcohol over here .

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Good for the waiter .

Not really the #wit got sacked. So he is unemployed!

In other countries they do ask foriegners for i.d as unlike america they dont put up with illegal aliens .

Just because other countrys are a police state.......

I 100% agree with cracking down on illegal immigrants. But by discrimination and police state tatics? No.

Those ladies dont like the laws theyre free to return to their country of origin at anytime .

Thats a dip# coment right here. What if there country of origin is the USA?!
There are many Latino US citizens!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

Thanks for providing an outside opinion, like I said before, these libs think the world operates and looks the same like America or any other developed nation, this is their fallacy.

Theyd be in for a very rude awakening outside america as other countries wont put up with their antics . Saw some once that were stupid enough to argue with police in china was quite entertaining seeing them learn that its not a good idea to argue with police in other countries .

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

How is one waiters actions national news?!?!

What waiter thinks he is immigraion?!?!

This whole thing stinks..

I don't buy it.

I've been waiting table for years and have never heard of ANYTHING similar....

What was he gonna do if they didn't have ID?

He doesn't have the authority to refuse service..that's managements call...

I think this was either planned or the waiter told a horribly inappropriate joke.. as a brain fart..

It was funny in his head, but not in real life...

Mark my words this one is super fishy..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina customers until he saw ‘proof of residency’

....and as usual, Liberals blow it out of proportion, label it "racism" [ isn't everything? ] and blame Trump.... Or anyone who voted for Trump or happens to agree with anything Trump says, no matter what.

But make damn sure you don't lump all of them together. That's racist.....or something.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

....and as usual, Liberals blow it out of proportion, label it "racism" [ isn't everything? ] and blame Trump.... Or anyone who voted for Trump or happens to agree with anything Trump says, no matter what.

But make damn sure you don't lump all of them together. That's racist.....or something.

I don't buy it at all...

None of it adds up..

Either it was staged or a really bad joke.

A waiter can't refuse service or deport people ..

So what would he have been going for??

This doesn't add up as sold.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Will take living here in asia without all the pc rubbish and crime problems of western countries any day of the week .

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Good for the waiter .

Not really the #wit got sacked. So he is unemployed!

In other countries they do ask foriegners for i.d as unlike america they dont put up with illegal aliens .

Just because other countrys are a police state.......

I 100% agree with cracking down on illegal immigrants. But by discrimination and police state tatics? No.

Those ladies dont like the laws theyre free to return to their country of origin at anytime .

Thats a dip# coment right here. What if there country of origin is the USA?!
There are many Latino US citizens!

I doubt any country uses waiters as enforcment agents lol...

Dollars to donuts this is a BS story.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Explain to me why this waiter has any business determining if these people are legal residents. What if they were tourists?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: Sillyolme
A California restaurant owner is looking for a new waiter if some needs a gig.

If any of this even happened in the first place.

Or perhaps it was all a ploy to get a dude fired, so that one of their cousins could find a job opening?

originally posted by: kurthall

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Well that was some badly written article, if that's all it takes to write for the Washington Post we are doomed.

now to the meat of the article:
doesn't it sound strange that the guy would just randomly ask that? what about tourists? does he refuse to serve them? why risk your job over something so stupid?

I live here in So Cali, and yes he did do that. I have no idea why. It is on our news.

If it's on the corporate news then it DEFINITELY happened precisely as reported!

More likely the waiter and ladies were in on it or it was a bad joke that backfired...

One of those "it was funny in his head" moments where he was probubally being sarcastic..

IDed the chicks for age, for booze and as a joke said..

"I've gotta make sure y'all are from here"

But instead of laughs he got crickets and a pink slip lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: DAVID64

I don't buy it at all...

None of it adds up..

Either it was staged or a really bad joke.

A waiter can't refuse service or deport people ..

So what would he have been going for??

This doesn't add up as sold.

Except the restaurant confirmed the story.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: GreenGunther

Explain to me why this waiter has any business determining if these people are legal residents. What if they were tourists?

He doesn't...

That's why I'm pretty sure it's fake..

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So recently in the world of racism, this happened:

It was girls’ day out, and Diana Carrillo had abandoned her desire to eat healthy well before she, her sister and two friends got to the Southern California restaurant. The destination: Saint Marc, an upscale spot in the seaside city of Huntington Beach, where Carrillo had been once before.

As the waiter walked up to the table, Carrillo figured she’d splurge on the grilled-cheese sandwich and pay the $2 up-charge to add some of the restaurant’s signature bacon. To start, maybe she’d share a watermelon and cheese plate with her sister and friends.

But the mood soured quickly after the waiter appeared. Before he could serve the four Latina women, he said, they needed to show proof of residency. “I need to make sure you’re from here,” he said.

Flummoxed, the four women handed over their IDs. But as what was happening sank in, they fumed. “I looked at my sister and [my friend], and I said, did he really just say that?”

A few moments later, they walked over to the manager and told him what had happened. He offered them a separate section and his business card to make things right — but they had already decided to leave.

Luckily the restaurant took this VERY seriously. At first they offered to comp the meal, but after the women took their grievances to Facebook, they offered her some sort of VIP deal. The women asked that money just get donated to the Orange County Immigrant Youth United. They also fired this grade A deplorable.

Kent Bearden, the senior director of operations at Saint Marc, told The Washington Post that the waiter who had asked for the women’s IDs had been fired. It was the first time the employee had done anything like this, Bearden said, and he “had never received so much as a write-up” before.

“I don’t know if he had an agenda or not,” said Bearden. “My concern is he violated a company policy. We’re very specific about how we treat out guests. That individual did not treat a table of guests to the expectations that we set forth in that company policy, and that caused him to be terminated.”

Bearden stressed that the employee’s actions “are something that you can’t control. The true measure is how you then handle it as a company. I feel very proud of our team and how we tried to take a proactive approach, trying to create a positive out of this situation.”

Good riddance. It's none of that waiter's business if those women are in the country legally or not. Plus SoCal is a big tourist locale. They could have just as easily been tourists on vacation.

While this does sound like a real $hitbag of a waiter if thats how it happened, i have to question if thats how it happened.

These girls were going to get drinks. The waiter likely asked for ID. Could be they made up the rest, or one didn't have a DL so he asked for another form such as a ID card, which is a pretty common form of ID in California...

While the waiter was apparently fired, the restaurant really had no choice in the matter since it was made so public. And the Bearden guy the story quotes only quotes something that could be construed in any manner of company policy violation. He isn't quoted saying anything specific to the allegation.

Anywho...i am inclined to believe there is more to this story than what we are getting. Even the guy that runs the place was quoted saying the waiter had never done anything like it before and I would think this behavior would have been a repeat...most people don't just change overnight and start being a$$holes.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

A hotel desk clerk is not the Police. A train conductor is not the Police.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Mexico is a race?

Who said anything about Mexico?

Out of 100 "Latinas" in California, how many are paying tourists bringing money from their home nation economies into ours?

How is that relevant?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join