It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Zen of Sickness and Medicine - Finding your Higher Nous - Teach to learn twice!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

An Intelligent and Compassionate Community

Your job, should you accept it, is to teach the community here using the following information. I will provide no descriptions other than the information in the OP, showing my own work as source material. I used one Luxor Aphorism as a template to then write my own examples, listed at the bottom of the Thread. The other Zen aphorisms are well known Eastern Buddhist truisms. Note that the hand in question is your own. In all cases, you are the one that gives sickenss (Spiritual); the one that gives the medicine (Virtue). From this path, wisdom is attained.

Insturctions: take any part of this and teach a lesson from your own experience. Share you wisdom using the following information as a reflecting point.

Three Aphorisms

-Sickness and Medicine cancel each other.

- The same hand that gives you sickness gives you medicine.

-Luxor- For every joy, there is a price to pay-

Highest Virtues

Galatians 5

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

---NOTE: Virtues are in order starting with Law (protecting people from thieves) leading to Self-Control, then up the chain to the highest virtue of Love. Follow the flow:

Sickness----------------->Medicine----------------->Result

Despair / Fatigue------->Restoration (rest)---------->Bliss
Hate ----------------------->Compassion------------>Love (Echad)
Sadness-------------------->Cost--------------------->Joy
Strife----------------------->Equanimity------------->Peace
Anger---------------------->Cause / Effect---------->Patience
Apathy-------------------->Pathos-------------------->Kindness
Evil------------------------>Strength------------------>Goodness
Unfaithfulness----------->Dependence------------>Faithfulness
Roughness---------------->Care---------------------->Gentleness
Rashness------------------>Mindfulness------------->Self-Control
Lawlessness--------------->Binding------------------>Division (Yachid)

The idea here is that a polarized state between sickness and medicine will end when the pendulum stops swinging between. Neutralizing the swing ends in the Mean, leaving a controlled virtue as the result. In other words, developing sentience ends in the training toward pathos (empathy and sympathy).

Aphorisms

Here is where I took the one aphorism in bold from Luxor to use as a template to write my own. Feel free to add new aphorisms to the list.

Bliss -Bliss is the gift of an activated mind at rest.

Love -Unconditional love is love’s only condition.

Joy -Luxor: For every Joy, there is a price to be paid.

Peace -Peace is prerequisite to itself.

Patience -Losing patience is anger, but losing anger is patience.

Kindness -Kindness in place of apathy is a mirror seeing itself.

Goodness -Goodness dispels evil as light dispels darkness.

Faithfulness -Faith is an unbroken bond between two dependent minds.

Gentleness -Gentleness depends on care, as goodness requires compassion.

Self-control -Self-control is the first step toward all other virtues.

Law -Law is the tyrant of a self uncontrolled.

Freedom -If Love rules the house by virtue, peace rules the heart.

First Lesson Taught

Allow me to be the first to teach a lesson on the Luxor Aphorism.

For every joy, there is a price to pay.

If you take a joy in life, a price will be paid. Eat too much and get fat. Like all aphorisms, they are what the ancients called turning phrases. Turn it to relative.

For every price you pay, there is a Joy.

Suffer first and a joy comes. In the example given, if you refuse to eat too much, going instead to the gym to work out, you suffer for the Joy that comes by the work done.

Your Turn

As a community and assembly, I do not just take the high seat here in the Sangha. Giving the high seat to you is part of the experience. Teach a perspective that only you know. I knock on your door for bread.

edit on 5-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: For reasons which will only be made clear in the world to come. For now, enjoy this day after yesterday. It's always the day after yesterday until it's the day after tomorrow!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DayAfterTomorrow

Bluecliff Record Case 87

A clear-eyed fellow has no nest: sometimes on the summit of the solitary peak weeds grow in profusion; sometimes he's naked and free in the bustling marketplace. Suddenly he appears as an angry titan with three heads and six arms; suddenly as Sun Face or Moon Face Buddha he releases the light of all-embracing mercy. In a single atom he manifests all physical forms; to save people according to their type, he mixes with mud and water. If suddenly he releases an opening upwards, not even the Buddha's eye could see him; even if a thousand sages appeared, they too would have to fall back three thousand miles. Is there anyone with the same attainment and same realization? To test, I cite this to see.

CASE

Yun Men, teaching his community, said, "Medicine and disease
subdue each other: 1 the whole earth is medicine;2 what is
your self? "3

NOTES
1. A compounded form cannot be grasped.
2. Bitter gourd is bitter to the root. He's put it over to one side.
3. Sweet melon is sweet to the stem. Where did he get this news?

COMMENTARY

Yun Men said, "Medicine and disease subdue each other: the whole earth is medicine; what is your self?" Do all of you have a way to get out? Twenty-four hours a day, concentrate on "towering like a mile-high wall." Te Shan's blows fall like rain, Lin Chi's shouts roll like thunder-putting this aside for the moment, Shakymuni is himself Shakyamuni and Maitreya is himself Maitreya. Those who don't know what it comes down to frequently understand by calling it "medicine and disease merging with each other." For forty-nine years, in more than three hundred assemblies, the World Honored One adapted to potential to set up the teachings-all of this was giving medicine in accordance with the disease, like exchanging sweet fruit for bitter gourds. Having purified your active faculties, he made you clean and free.

"The whole earth is medicine." Where will you sink your teeth into this? If you can sink your teeth in, I'll grant that you have a place to turn around and show some life; then you see Yun Men in person. If you look around and hesitate, you won't be able to get your teeth into it; Yun Men is the one under your feet.

"Medicine and disease subdue each other." This is just an ordinary proposition. If you cling to existence, he speaks of nonexistence for you; if you are attached to nonexistence, he speaks of existence for you. If you are attached to neither existence nor nonexistence, he manifests the sixteen-foot golden body for you in a pile of crap and rubbish, appearing and disappearing.

Right now this whole great earth is a profuse array of myriad forms, up to and including one's own self. At once it's medicine-at such a time, what will you call your self? If you only call it medicine, even by the time Maitreya Buddha is born down here, you still won't have seen Yun Men even in dreams. Ultimately, how is it? "Perceive the meaning on the hook; don't stick by the zero point of the scale." One day Manjusri ordered Sudhana to pick medicinal herbs.

He said, "If there is something that is not medicine, bring it to me." Sudhana searched all over, but there was nothing that was not medicine. So he went back and told Manjusri, "There is nothing that is not medicine." Manjusri said, "Gather something that is medicine." Sudhana then picked up a blade of grass and handed it to Manjusri. Manjusri held it up and showed it to the assembly, saying, "This medicine can kill people and it can also bring people to life."

BlueCliff Record

edit on 5-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: My sick post needed medicine. Why else.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You must be REALLY bored today.

Me too.

I understand the words but not your point in posting them?

Also, I have a heard time taking seriously anyone who quotes the Roman stooge "Paul" the self proclaimed, unacknowledged by anyone of authority, pseudo-apostle. You really need to read the story, not random quotes.

The guy HATED Peter, James, John and all the Chief Apostles who "meant nothing to me"[him]. and "Taught me nothing" had his own "My Gospel" that contradicts the words and meaning of Jesus message.

He accuses Peter and his mentor Barnabas hypocrites. Call James men "spies sent to spy on our freedom in Christ" and lied about teaching the Jews to forsake Moses, which he did, is summoned by James for it and he lies and says, no James, I love the Law!

Then calls it a curse, dead and the root of all evil/cause of sin...literally. I don't mean love of money I mean the cause of all sin is the Law of God.

It's not a philosophical statement with exegetical explanation that softens it. He HATES the Law of God.

This is how I spot people who are not up to date on modern scholarship and destroy them in debate. I haven't read the New Testament, I KNOW the New Testament.

Paul is a false prophet who was forbidden from preaching in Asia by the Holy Spirit.

Enough said.
edit on 5-3-2017 by benTanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: benTanna

Virtue hits its highest level at Love, which needs no other law. If you don't like Paul, perhaps Buddha. Love requires that we find the good in everyone, even Paul. Completeness comes for all of us at once. On the way, we gather seed for the next planting. It's important to fill your basket with unbiased seeking. Simply divide the light from darkness. Paul is no different than you and me. Both light and darkness present.

Dhammapada Choices

What does he say about Love 500 years before Paul was born?

Hatred is sickness in need of medicine.

edit on 5-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: My sick post needed medicine. Why else.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I don't need a replacement for Paul I have Mohammed (PBUH).

Buddha is cool too. Issa(PBUH) and the Gospel of Barnabas give me a lot of inspiration.

Muslim literature is vast. I know of one Sufi who wrote 40 books on "Religous Science" using Sunnah's and stories about Mohammed (PBUH) and friends (may God be pleased with them) with ethics and morality, mystical practices and it is older, larger and more logical than the Zohar which is the closest thing in Judaism.

So I will read Buddha but it's going to take a while. I still have to finish the Zohar and this Ihya Ulum al-din of which I speak.

It'll be at least a year.

Paul only wrote 4-7 of those epistles attributed him and they are the worst religous literature this side of Aleister Crowley or Joseph Smith.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The Epistle of Barnabas

I know which you are referring to with the Gospel of Barnabas, but I think this is the original.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Paul (who was decieved by Satan) is very different than us.

He was an infiltrator and corrupter of the pure teachings of Jesus (PBUH)who never ceased his role as enemy of the Nazarenes.

He invented Christianity, nothing about it resembles the religous teachings of Jesus (PBUH).

He was a Roman collaborator and friends with the Herods.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

No the Epistle is way older. It's in one of the oldest Bibles in existence.

Gospel of Barnabas is a semi Muslim Gospel that teaches he is a Prophet and not God or the son of God.

But it has some really valuable teachings on living that must be original sayings that were secretly preserved and based on an older work, possibly the lost "Gospel of the Hebrew."

It's Medieval in MS. form but Iran or Turkey supposedly has an ancient copy the RCC is dying to see.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Except for the mention of Paul I did like the Epistle of Barnabas. Very Alexandrian in theology.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

We teach lessons through our virtues for sure. In nature, Neutron / Proton are neutral and positive only. I see this as the message of Christ. Love with no judgment. Forgiveness, realizing where the sickness originates. Truly, only one hand at work in Paul or any of us as an influence. That hand is learning as well.

John 8:28

So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.

We know His Father (Aleph Lamed / EL) from the Genesis 1 of Christians, Hebrews and Muslims. Al_Lah is the Strong Shepherd.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

One hand was at work in Paul, the left hand...Of SATAN!!

I have never heard of Allah referred to as Strong Shepherd but I like it.

Something makes me think you think it translates to that.

El means might, strong or God. In Hebrew.
Al means the in Arabic. Al+ ilah=Allah or The God.

In Hebrew it would be Ha El or Hashem (the Name) for YHVH or Adonai for the Lord.

But Jews and their Kabbalah are derived from the Kabba+Allah=Kabbalah.

Which makes sense. All their literature was produced in the very friendly Muslim world that would never been allowed in book burning Europe.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

This quote from the Dhammapada is 500 years older than the first century.

SICKNESS

"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.

MEDICINE

"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts, and live in love.

VIRTUE REALIZED

In this world
Hate never yet dispelled hate.
Only love dispels hate.

I see Paul according to the Law he reveals by Love in Galatians 5. Against such (one law), there is no law. Love keeps us from breaking any other law. It is One law with no negation.

Do you have a lesson to teach beyond your bias against Paul?

edit on 5-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I have many lessons, and have been teaching them if you have been paying attention.

I can tell you that Paul loved Paul and if he talked about love it was a sales pitch or a failed attempt at humility.

I apologize if I see Paul for who he represented himself as but I didn't tell him to write down proof that he was a fraud or tell Romans to find him somehow relevant to Jesus(PBUH).

But let's face facts. Learn this. Paul never met Jesus(PBUH), didn't know his teachings and nothing he says is of value to the mystic or thinking person only the blind allegiance crowd who doesn't do background checks and just accepts that his mere inclusion in a book actually is the same as him having met Jesus (PBUH).

" Seek and you will find. Find and you will marvel. Marvel and you will reign."

"Every new interpretation of Torah creates a new world above."

"If your leaders tell you, 'Look, the Kingdom is above,' the birds will precede you. If, 'In the sea, the fish will get their first...

RATHER...THE KINGDOM OF GOD...IS WITHIN YOU AND WITHOUT."

"The old in days will not hesitate to ask a little child seven days old about the place of life, and that person will live. Many of the first will be last and become one."

"Know what is in front of you, and the hidden will be revealed."

"The dead are not alive, but the living never die."

Find me ONE Paul quote that even approaches this level of profundity displayed by Issa(PBUH).

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

No offense but our interactions have gone thus:

You make thread, I find topic of interest that you misspoke about and correct it and then you ignore the facts and try making it about me when I am sticking to facts.

You never acknowledge you weren't correct no matter how many times I show you politely. It seems you have a sensitive spot with people knowing things you really want to know.

It seems like it pisses you off and you, rather than say thanks for the info/knowledge, lightly insult me whether it be about my no love of Paul who you quoted or the falsehood that I have nothing else to teach.

I have plenty to teach. You have to WANT to not just learn but from someone who doesn't have a website or agenda other than truth and facts.

Which is something you are in need of, facts.

I am sure you are true to yourself so I won't say you are a liar but you are not open to being anything other than the smartest person in the room and any challenge to that idea is met with sarcasm.

But no facts. Unless it's about Buddhism or Hinduism, I know very little about those religions other than the basics. More than most, less than many anyway.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

The gospel of Thomas has value. Paul is a Gnostic as John, or any Nag Hammadi text. All relatives are keys for seeing the Absolute. Love them all.

Question about Abraham. When he left Ishmael and Hagar in the desert to die, with only a jug of water and loaf of bread, does this negate his value to your religion?

Or, do you see your own sickness from his, knowing he also gave medicine as well? What remains when you neutralize the good and evil?

Knowledge useful for virtue.

Radical Islam has a messenger with a message. How do current events compare to Paul's teachings of unity and love?

edit on 5-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Paul hated Gnostics too!!!

Again, you need facts. He calls it "falsely so called Gnosis."

And they hated him too. Marcion wasn't a Gnostic either just a Paulinist.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Ishmael was a prince on par with Jacob.

He had twelve sons, twelve tribes. As the Bible says...again YOU NEED TO LEARN FACTS.

So God made, as the Bible says, a "Mighty nation" out of Ishmael.

What was your question?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: benTanna

It seems like it pisses you off and you, rather than say thanks for the info/knowledge, lightly insult me whether it be about my no love of Paul who you quoted or the falsehood that I have nothing else to teach.

My only point is to see judgment of others as sickness. I can't teach anything less than compassion for others, knowing the highest lesson of God. Paul had the same message.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

What is radical Islam?

Never heard of that religion.

I'd lay off the Kool aide and propaganda.

Too much W.Z.I.O.N. 188AM will rot the mind.

You don't know the Bible or your religion, if you have one, and you ask questions thinking the answer will embarrass me for being a Muslim but you know nothing about the Bible.

You didn't know Ishmael was as great a prince as Jacob with 12 of his own tribes that became a mighty nation.

You thought Ishmael met some unfortunate end for no reason whatsoever. I say that because you are way off.

The Bible honors Ishmael as great. He was Abraham's first born.

What was your point?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: benTanna

Ishmael was a prince on par with Jacob.

He had twelve sons, twelve tribes. As the Bible says...again YOU NEED TO LEARN FACTS.

So God made, as the Bible says, a "Mighty nation" out of Ishmael.

What was your question?

I agree that the Lord of Israel rescued Ishmael, but you have a worse fault in Abraham and Sarah than you do with Paul. No bias from me. I see value in them all.

Love covers a multitude of sins. Sickness and medicine reveal a higher intelligence at work, using both to reveal the result. Paul is a fallen man like all men we can name. All of them relative to the Absolute God. If God forgives you, he forgives Paul. What about those who judge their own Ego above other sinners? Didn't Jesus have something to say on the topic?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join